Re: Message I got from Steel City Con

  • hargnett
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
      This was in the Trib thursday and can be seen on their website. No
      mention of doo doo.

      http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_599259.html

      Steel City Con promoter to sell pop culture show
      By Ron DaParma
      TRIBUNE-REVIEW
      Thursday, November 20, 2008

      It's not for lack of success that Dominic Alessandria has decided to
      sell his popular Steel City Con toy and pop culture convention business.

      In fact, a relocation this year from the ExpoMart in Monroeville to a
      larger space at the Pittsburgh Indoor Sports Arena in Harmar helped to
      make the most recent event in late October one of the largest in the
      show's 19-year history, he said Wednesday.

      The three-day show had more than 200 exhibitors displaying items at
      more than 500 tables -- about 100 more than recent shows at the
      smaller Monroeville site -- said Alessandria, who is seeking buyers.

      He is the sole owner and promoter of the convention, which he runs two
      to three times each year through his company Orangestone Promotions
      Inc., based in Ross. He said the shows have attracted between 3,000
      and 4,500 people each.

      At the Harmar site, it has more than 90,000 square feet of space to
      display such items as new and vintage toys, comic books, sci-fi/horror
      toys, and television, movie and sports memorabilia. That's about three
      times the space it had at the ExpoMart.

      "The show next year will celebrate its 20-year anniversary and is the
      largest of its kind in Pennsylvania and one of the top five shows in
      the country. But for personal reasons, I think it's time to move on,"
      he said.

      Alessandria, who once served as general manager for a major retail
      department store, said he has decided to pursue another opportunity in
      retailing that he declined to disclose.

      Steel City Con is a profitable business, drawing revenue from gate
      receipts and fees charged to vendors for table space, he said, without
      disclosing specifics.

      "The show is priced to sell quickly," Alessandria said. "Typically
      when a company sells a business the asking price is usually four to
      five times the annual revenue, but I'm only seeking a price equal to
      less than one year's revenue."

      He declined to disclose an asking price. But more than 30 parties have
      already contacted him, Alessandria said.

      "I think people will be interested," said Kelly Simon of Kelly Simon
      Promotions in Westmoreland County.

      Simon produces a number of home, law enforcement and other trade shows
      at the Laurel Highlands Event Center at the Westmoreland Mall Annex at
      Westmoreland Mall.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "axxinjaxxin" <axxinjaxxin@...>