Message I got from Steel City Con

  • axxinjaxxin
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2008
      Do you think Steel City Con is in deep doo doo? I do.

      Here's the message I got from the promoters:

      Steel City Con
      TOY, COMIC & POP CULTURE CONVENTION!

      BREAKING NEWS!

      PITTSBURGH INDOOR SPORTS AREA (PISA)

      SHOW HOURS:
      FRI 2-7pm , SAT 10am-5pm, SUN 10am-4pm

      GENERAL ADMISSION IS ONLY $10
      3 DAY PASS ONLY $20

      www.steelcitycon.com
      BREAKING NEWS!

      BREAKING NEWS: Orangestone Promotions, Inc., has announced a
      search for a new owner of the STEEL CITY CON!

      ARE YOU INTERESTED IN OWNING ONE OF THE TOP 5 TOY & COMIC CONVENTIONS
      IN THE UNITED STATES?

      The Steel City Con is nationally recognized for being a premiere
      convention in the world of pop culture.

      CAN YOU AFFORD TO BUY THIS SHOW? The answer is YES. Typically when a
      company sells its business the asking price is always 4-5 times the
      annual revenue of the business. Since the current owner has an
      opportunity that he would like to immediately pursue the asking price
      will be LESS THAN ONE (1) year revenue which quite frankly is a steal.
      For all the details you may contact us with the information below.

      Most of you have been to the Steel City Con and have seen the massive
      crowds, the huge amount of dealers, the great events and amazing
      selection of celebrities! This is a great investment!

      PLEASE DON'T WAIT ... CONTACT US TODAY!

      If you are interested please contact us at info@... or
      (412) 213-0224

      Please note: Serious Inquires Only.

      http://www.steelcitycon.com
    • Donald Hargnett
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 17, 2008
        I don't know about doo doo, deep or otherwise. They had a message on
        their website or somewhere that they were trying to sell the show at
        least a year ago. I don't know the whys or wherefores, but this isn't
        something new.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 17, 2008
          Very True, I was aware of this as well for at least a year. I believe he has bigger fish to fry. Lets just hope that someone does take it over that has the ability to run such a cool show. I for one wish Dominic the best of luck either way.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
            This was in the Trib thursday and can be seen on their website. No
            mention of doo doo.

            http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_599259.html

            Steel City Con promoter to sell pop culture show
            By Ron DaParma
            TRIBUNE-REVIEW
            Thursday, November 20, 2008

            It's not for lack of success that Dominic Alessandria has decided to
            sell his popular Steel City Con toy and pop culture convention business.

            In fact, a relocation this year from the ExpoMart in Monroeville to a
            larger space at the Pittsburgh Indoor Sports Arena in Harmar helped to
            make the most recent event in late October one of the largest in the
            show's 19-year history, he said Wednesday.

            The three-day show had more than 200 exhibitors displaying items at
            more than 500 tables -- about 100 more than recent shows at the
            smaller Monroeville site -- said Alessandria, who is seeking buyers.

            He is the sole owner and promoter of the convention, which he runs two
            to three times each year through his company Orangestone Promotions
            Inc., based in Ross. He said the shows have attracted between 3,000
            and 4,500 people each.

            At the Harmar site, it has more than 90,000 square feet of space to
            display such items as new and vintage toys, comic books, sci-fi/horror
            toys, and television, movie and sports memorabilia. That's about three
            times the space it had at the ExpoMart.

            "The show next year will celebrate its 20-year anniversary and is the
            largest of its kind in Pennsylvania and one of the top five shows in
            the country. But for personal reasons, I think it's time to move on,"
            he said.

            Alessandria, who once served as general manager for a major retail
            department store, said he has decided to pursue another opportunity in
            retailing that he declined to disclose.

            Steel City Con is a profitable business, drawing revenue from gate
            receipts and fees charged to vendors for table space, he said, without
            disclosing specifics.

            "The show is priced to sell quickly," Alessandria said. "Typically
            when a company sells a business the asking price is usually four to
            five times the annual revenue, but I'm only seeking a price equal to
            less than one year's revenue."

            He declined to disclose an asking price. But more than 30 parties have
            already contacted him, Alessandria said.

            "I think people will be interested," said Kelly Simon of Kelly Simon
            Promotions in Westmoreland County.

            Simon produces a number of home, law enforcement and other trade shows
            at the Laurel Highlands Event Center at the Westmoreland Mall Annex at
            Westmoreland Mall.

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "axxinjaxxin" <axxinjaxxin@...>