Superman needs our help....

  • Brandys Dad
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2008
      ....or more correctly, the home that Jerry Siegel conceived of the
      character of Superman in the Cleveland suburbs is in need of some help
      in order to save it.

      I'll admit it, I'm a real pop culture geek and being able to see
      places in the flesh where things that were important mileposts in my
      geekdom are really enjoyable experiences. In the Cleveland area this
      past April, my wife and I saw the home where the exteriors and some
      scenes for 'A Christmas Story' were filmed back in the early 80's.
      That house has been lovingly restored and stocked with period
      furniture to make it look as close to it did that Xmas morning that
      Ralphie came down the stairs looking like a demented Easter bunny.

      Now for those of us that are comic geeks, the home that Jerry Siegel
      came up with perhaps the most instantly recognizable of all
      superheroes in Superman, is in need of being saved. Whether you're a
      DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, or other 'universe' fan, you know that
      Superman is one of those characters that helped to pave the way for
      all of those costumed do gooders (and evil villans) that we have today.

      I know that the economy is not the best at the moment for many
      people out there, but if those of us that have gotten enjoyment from
      any superheroes in our lifetime would donate even $10 or bid on some
      of the neat auctions being held to help support the cause, we might
      have a small hand in preserving something that's important to all of
      us as comic book / superhero fans and we can feel good about in the
      process. The neat thing for us being in the Pittsburgh area in general
      is that we are close enough to be able to see this place first hand as
      it's also in the Cleveland area.

      Here is a link to the page that has the general information as well as
      additional links to auctions, shirts and ways to donate.

      http://www.ordinarypeoplechangetheworld.com/articles/saving-the-house-where-superman-was-born.aspx