Re: [pittscomicon] My 2 cents about the group.

  • Andrew Harmon
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
      "One thing I do agree with is that the moderator or creator or whatever of this group needs to either take an active role in its management or abdicate that authority to someone else, perhaps even several someones, so that this kind of thing does not recur in the future."

      Robert,

      That's just the problem. The moderator/owner has not been active in 3 weeks and can neither take an active role or abdicate authority of the group to someone else. Just wanted to clarify that.

      Andrew

    • Will Crites
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
        Hey Tod don't get me wrong. I did join the Google group, but I'm still staying here.

        Will

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
          On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM, norvandell <BIG_BOOTE@...> wrote:
          > Granted there is some people who are coming along and spamming, but
          > is it really that bad, that you can't click on the email and report
          > it as junk, or even a phishing scam?.

          Certainly I agree that deleting the spam isn't a problem. That gets
          rid of it from your mailbox. However, the spam continues to exist on
          the group archives. When new people come to the group page, I don't
          really mind if they see a low activity record, because as you pointed
          out, during the "slow" period, there isn't that much to discuss.

          But if new people that are interested in checking out the con come to
          the page and see nothing but spam and a ridiculous signal-to-noise
          ratio, it's discouraging to newcomers. It could lead them to believe
          that the con is no longer the vibrant, fun con that we all know it is.
          And with all the conventions fighting to entice newcomers, that's not
          a risk we should be taking lightly.

          Yes, there's only a few to ten people complaining - because they're
          the few to ten people that are active in the group and keeping
          discussions going. I don't think we want to label people that are
          active as "complainers" nor discourage them from participating and
          expressing their opinions about the group and what's going on with it.

          I'm very much a lurker to the group - last year was my very first time
          attending the con, and I only signed up just before the con itself.
          But because of this, I'm very aware of how important this group can be
          to newcomers and I want to be as supportive as possible to people
          trying to keep interest in the group going and support the con however
          I can. I'm still *excited* about the con - so if there's a problem, I
          want it fixed and I want to help.

          The spammers are welcome to follow us, but they'll be shut down asap
          and their access removed as fast as they can join. I've already
          appointed an additional moderator to the group, and would gladly do so
          for additional mods if they're needed. Likewise, I'm sure the same
          precaution will be taken if the group is moved to different Yahoo
          group (or even elsewhere).

          Hope that explains why some of us are "causing waves."

          Thanks,
          Shawn
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
            Well put! Im not going to defend myself because i think the spam is annoying, some folks like to read to much into things and its pointless. I hope the yahoo group gets straightened out, but the other group is just a click away.