My 2 cents about the group.

  • norvandell
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
      I'll take some shit from a few people, but what the hell.

      I feel that there is too much pissing and moaning going on around
      here, not to mention that the group usually is slow this time of year
      anyway.

      Granted there is some people who are coming along and spamming, but
      is it really that bad, that you can't click on the email and report
      it as junk, or even a phishing scam?.

      Someone has started another group on Google. While thats all well and
      good, now anyone who wants to be apart of the group, now has to go on
      to Google and go through the whole process of joining and the like.
      WHy hasn't anyone who has the time to make their own group, offer to
      take over this one, and take care of the nonsense.

      About the only time I ever come around, is when I see news and any
      changes being made for the show, mainly 2 or 3 months before the con,
      and a month or 2 after. Otherwise, there are other groups I belong to
      who can do pretty much what everyone else is doing now.

      I don't know how many people really want to leave just because of a
      few spammers, but from what I can tell, it seems to be a few to ten
      people who are doing the most complaining.

      Think about this to, since some of you are posting about starting or
      joining a group elsewhere, don't think that those spammers aren't
      ready those posts, and wont find you and come around. Yes, I'm sure
      the group mod for Google will do a fine job at first, but what
      happens when the same thing starts there.

      For me, this group and where it is, is just fine. I like Sin's
      suggestion, and just spam the spammers, give them a taste of their
      own medicine.

      Just delete the spam and move on to the worth while posts.

      Tod Allen Smith
      Altoona Pa.
      artist for Star Wars and Marvel.
    • Joe Patrick
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
        What I have been doing is since the email is coming from an individual account and not showing as coming from the group itself, I've just been reporting it as spam and I've been noticing that after a few times it goes right to my spam folder and I dont even see it in my inbox anymore.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
          Tod, No flack from me man. Good to hear your thoughts on the subject. I've put my comments in after the quoted text.

          "I feel that there is too much pissing and moaning going on around

          here, not to mention that the group usually is slow this time of year
          anyway."

          True.

          "Granted there is some people who are coming along and spamming, but
          is it really that bad, that you can't click on the email and report
          it as junk, or even a phishing scam?."

          Honestly, I've just been hitting the delete key on them sending them to the trash.

          "Someone has started another group on Google. While thats all well and
          good, now anyone who wants to be apart of the group, now has to go on
          to Google and go through the whole process of joining and the like."

          "WHy hasn't anyone who has the time to make their own group, offer to
          take over this one, and take care of the nonsense."

          "About the only time I ever come around, is when I see news and any
          changes being made for the show, mainly 2 or 3 months before the con,
          and a month or 2 after. Otherwise, there are other groups I belong to
          who can do pretty much what everyone else is doing now."

          True

          "Think about this to, since some of you are posting about starting or
          joining a group elsewhere, don't think that those spammers aren't
          ready those posts, and wont find you and come around. Yes, I'm sure
          the group mod for Google will do a fine job at first, but what
          happens when the same thing starts there."

          While it's true no SPAM can find you, there are measures that can be done to prevent a good portion of it from getting through. I think it's apparent all this started when the owner of the current group when MIA.

          "For me, this group and where it is, is just fine. I like Sin's
          suggestion, and just spam the spammers, give them a taste of their
          own medicine. Just delete the spam and move on to the worth while posts."

          Which is fine by me if that's what folks want to do :)

          Andrew

        • Robert Martin
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
            I find nothing wrong with your suggestions and you will catch no crap from me ...

            Exactly as you suggested, I have simply gone through and highlighted all of the spammed messages and reported them as spam ... now the postings from those people are sent directly to my Spam folder and I never have to weed through them.  The one thing that I have found amazing about this entire process is that Spam is nothing new to this group.  I have seen the "invite" messages from the biker chicks thing for years now ... granted, it did ramp up recently from 1 or 2 individuals, but again it is easily dealt with.  This group is well established and I think serves its purpose quite nicely, and I see no need to make any major changes at the moment.

            One thing I do agree with is that the moderator or creator or whatever of this group needs to either take an active role in its management or abdicate that authority to someone else, perhaps even several someones, so that this kind of thing does not recur in the future.

            For what it's worth, there you go ... Rock On Pittsburgh Comicon!!

            Robert

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
              "One thing I do agree with is that the moderator or creator or whatever of this group needs to either take an active role in its management or abdicate that authority to someone else, perhaps even several someones, so that this kind of thing does not recur in the future."

              Robert,

              That's just the problem. The moderator/owner has not been active in 3 weeks and can neither take an active role or abdicate authority of the group to someone else. Just wanted to clarify that.

              Andrew

            • Will Crites
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
                Hey Tod don't get me wrong. I did join the Google group, but I'm still staying here.

                Will

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
                  On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM, norvandell <BIG_BOOTE@...> wrote:
                  > Granted there is some people who are coming along and spamming, but
                  > is it really that bad, that you can't click on the email and report
                  > it as junk, or even a phishing scam?.

                  Certainly I agree that deleting the spam isn't a problem. That gets
                  rid of it from your mailbox. However, the spam continues to exist on
                  the group archives. When new people come to the group page, I don't
                  really mind if they see a low activity record, because as you pointed
                  out, during the "slow" period, there isn't that much to discuss.

                  But if new people that are interested in checking out the con come to
                  the page and see nothing but spam and a ridiculous signal-to-noise
                  ratio, it's discouraging to newcomers. It could lead them to believe
                  that the con is no longer the vibrant, fun con that we all know it is.
                  And with all the conventions fighting to entice newcomers, that's not
                  a risk we should be taking lightly.

                  Yes, there's only a few to ten people complaining - because they're
                  the few to ten people that are active in the group and keeping
                  discussions going. I don't think we want to label people that are
                  active as "complainers" nor discourage them from participating and
                  expressing their opinions about the group and what's going on with it.

                  I'm very much a lurker to the group - last year was my very first time
                  attending the con, and I only signed up just before the con itself.
                  But because of this, I'm very aware of how important this group can be
                  to newcomers and I want to be as supportive as possible to people
                  trying to keep interest in the group going and support the con however
                  I can. I'm still *excited* about the con - so if there's a problem, I
                  want it fixed and I want to help.

                  The spammers are welcome to follow us, but they'll be shut down asap
                  and their access removed as fast as they can join. I've already
                  appointed an additional moderator to the group, and would gladly do so
                  for additional mods if they're needed. Likewise, I'm sure the same
                  precaution will be taken if the group is moved to different Yahoo
                  group (or even elsewhere).

                  Hope that explains why some of us are "causing waves."

                  Thanks,
                  Shawn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
                    Well put! Im not going to defend myself because i think the spam is annoying, some folks like to read to much into things and its pointless. I hope the yahoo group gets straightened out, but the other group is just a click away.