Re: [pittscomicon] Moving to Google

  • Andrew Harmon
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 12, 2008
      I joined up (BarryA) but it got me wondering...this may require people to create Google accounts that don't have one and may not want to. Should it stay in Yahoo Groups out of convenience to the members?

      On Tue Aug 12 14:26 , 'Shawn Williams' sent:

      Howdy folks - I'm not at all trying to usurp anyone here or snipe
      anyone's efforts, I'm just sick of the spam (like everyone else).
      Also, I'm a big fan of Google over Yahoo, so I created a group for us
      over at Google Groups:
      http://groups. google.com/ group/pittscomic on

      I will GLADLY promote new group admins from the old group - like I
      said, I'm not trying to swipe authority or anything, I just have the
      time and ability to make a new group and have done so. If someone gets
      a group going before me and we need to dissolve this group/create a
      new one, that's fine.

      In the interim, I'll also see about migrating as much of the data
      (pics) from the old group to this one.

      If you've already started a group and I missed it, please let me know
      and I'll dissolve this one asap.

      Thanks!
      Shawn

    • Andrew Harmon

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 12, 2008
          Aw to heck with it. Here is a link to a poll so we can get a good count and hopefully make things easier.

          Yeah, that's one of the groups I created. Hopefully you don't have to join the group to do the poll (which allows you to just focus on the poll) so we'll see how this goes.

          Andrew

        • Shawn Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 12, 2008
            That's a very valid point - like I said, I just wanted to get a group
            going since nobody else was doing so. And my preference is always for
            Google over Yahoo - but I have identities for both sites, so either
            works for me. I only care that we do what we can to block spammers and
            cut down on the signal-to-noise ratio!

            Shawn

            On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Andrew Harmon
            <aharmon@...> wrote:
            > I joined up (BarryA) but it got me wondering...this may require people to
            > create Google accounts that don't have one and may not want to. Should it
            > stay in Yahoo Groups out of convenience to the members?
            >

            > On Tue Aug 12 14:26 , 'Shawn Williams' sent:
            >
            > Howdy folks - I'm not at all trying to usurp anyone here or snipe
            > anyone's efforts, I'm just sick of the spam (like everyone else).
            > Also, I'm a big fan of Google over Yahoo, so I created a group for us
            > over at Google Groups:
            > http://groups.google.com/group/pittscomicon
            >
            > I will GLADLY promote new group admins from the old group - like I
            > said, I'm not trying to swipe authority or anything, I just have the
            > time and ability to make a new group and have done so. If someone gets
            > a group going before me and we need to dissolve this group/create a
            > new one, that's fine.
            >
            > In the interim, I'll also see about migrating as much of the data
            > (pics) from the old group to this one.
            >
            > If you've already started a group and I missed it, please let me know
            > and I'll dissolve this one asap.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Shawn

          • Andrew Harmon
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 12, 2008
              Totally agree with you, Shawn. Hopefully things will get over this bump and we can get back to good times.

              On Tue Aug 12 14:52 , 'Shawn Williams' sent:

              <aharmon@impulsegraf ix.com> wrote:
              > I joined up (BarryA) but it got me wondering... this may require people to
              > create Google accounts that don't have one and may not want to. Should it
              > stay in Yahoo Groups out of convenience to the members?
              >

              > On Tue Aug 12 14:26 , 'Shawn Williams' sent:
              >
              > Howdy folks - I'm not at all trying to usurp anyone here or snipe
              > anyone's efforts, I'm just sick of the spam (like everyone else).
              > Also, I'm a big fan of Google over Yahoo, so I created a group for us
              > over at Google Groups:
              > http://groups. google.com/ group/pittscomic on
              >
              > I will GLADLY promote new group admins from the old group - like I
              > said, I'm not trying to swipe authority or anything, I just have the
              > time and ability to make a new group and have done so. If someone gets
              > a group going before me and we need to dissolve this group/create a
              > new one, that's fine.
              >
              > In the interim, I'll also see about migrating as much of the data
              > (pics) from the old group to this one.
              >
              > If you've already started a group and I missed it, please let me know
              > and I'll dissolve this one asap.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Shawn

            • uss_escort
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 12, 2008
                Hey guys,

                Like Patrick, I was asking for patience out of respect for the founder
                of the board. However, that time has passed and this board has been
                abandoned. I am all for one of you folks starting a board, just let
                us know what has been decided. This in one version of 'Spamalot' I
                can do without.
              • Will Crites
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 13, 2008
                  Just joined, I'm megacitytours

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 13, 2008
                    I'd rather stay in yahoo. I don't have a google account but belong to this and several yahoo groups. Just my opinion. As long as the yahoo group owner/administrator stays active and bans the bad stuff, I'm fine with that.

                    In a message dated 8/12/2008 2:46:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, aharmon@... writes:
                    I made two groups in Yahoo (only because I couldn't decide on a name). I'll hold off on revealing them because there is a suggestion to move to Google groups and I don't want to muddy the waters if that's what we decide to do.

                  • koabeam
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 13, 2008
                      Aloha all. The new group is a great idea I'll be headed over and
                      logging in later to sign up for it. My user name is the same on Google
                      as it is here so see you on the boards over there. As for Admins.
                      Comicon guy (AKA Patrick) should be given Admin rights simply because
                      he should be a moderator of some official Comicon postings and be able
                      to remove ones that may damage the con we all love.

                      -Koa

                      P.S. Patrick, you'll probably want to let the website guys know to
                      switch the link on the Comicon Website to the updated one when you get
                      a chance.