Re: [pittscomicon] Artist Sketching.....What Is The Best Way To Obtain One?

  • Chad "Space Ghost" Wilson
    Message 1 of 14 , May 25, 2005
      Re: [pittscomicon] Artist Sketching.....What Is The Best Way To Obtain One? When Perez does do sketches for fans, he books up really quick.
      You have to ask for one very early on Friday to get on his schedule.
      Most artists charge different prices, and weather they keep it or
      donate it to a charity (Perez donates to Make a Wish, I think).
      My friend got a Gambit sketch from MITCHELL BREITWEISER for $50
      and it was really awesome. Darryl Banks wanted $80 for a sketch
      of 2 characters...

      on 5/25/05 5:16 PM, marveldc1 at marveldc1@... wrote:

      Hello All!

          For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
      Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing in
      line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan that
      he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So my
      question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their favorite
      artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance for
      any and all advice!

      -marveldc1
    • R Howard
      Message 2 of 14 , May 27, 2005
        It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the con for more than one day as between signing books and personal time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know George Perez does a lot of his at night.

        Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

        Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free, sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate sketches though.

        Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.  At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.  Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the artists don't have time to sketch.

        I hope that helps.

        marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
        Hello All!

             I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
        Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some artists
        will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable that
        the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore the
        more difficult to obtain.

             For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
        Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing in
        line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan that
        he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So my
        question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their favorite
        artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance for
        any and all advice!

        -marveldc1

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Mail

      • marveldc1
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2006
          I am gearing up for this weekend's Pittsburgh Comicon and I am going
          to take the suggestion that was offered to me last year, by picking
          up a sketchbook.

          My follow-up question's would be, "What is the perfect Sketch Book
          size to buy? Are there certain sizes that artist's don't like?
          Obviously, you have to leave your sketch book with the artist...How
          do you reclaim it? That weekend? Send it to your address via a Self-
          Adressed Pre-paid envelope?

          Thanks for any help with these additional questions!

          -marveldc1

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@...>
          wrote:

          > It totally depends on the artist and the convention. As Chad
          pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
          Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible. You're
          also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
          con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
          time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day. I know
          George Perez does a lot of his at night.

          > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
          you want sketched. The more popular the artist, the more you'll
          probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
          probably pay. I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
          marker sketch at a convention a few years ago. Some aspiring
          artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

          > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
          sketches is to get yourself a sketch book. If you're happy with a
          small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
          in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
          up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
          if you do, you're not going to make much. A couple years ago at San
          Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
          sketch book for free. I don't think he was doing any eleborate
          sketches though.

          > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
          At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
          where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
          Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
          some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
          artists don't have time to sketch.

          > I hope that helps.
          >
          > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
          > Hello All!
          >
          > I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
          > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
          artists
          > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
          that
          > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
          the
          > more difficult to obtain.
          >
          > For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
          > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
          in
          > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
          that
          > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
          my
          > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
          favorite
          > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
          for
          > any and all advice!
          >
          > -marveldc1

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Mail
          > Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

        • Matt Plantilla
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2006
            11" X 14" is a good size for a sketchbook.  Easy to carry around in a bag.  I suggest wirebound, especially if you're leaving the book with artists as it's easier to manage for them.  You don't necessarily have to leave your book with them; they'll often crank it out for you while you watch and talk.  If you're going for something more elaborate, then you could either leave the book or just tear out a page.  Most artists will be able to finish the sketch before you leave, especially if you have to leave by a certain time or day.  If they can't, then you can arrange with the particular artist to have it sent once it's done.

            - matt

            wrote:

            > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
            pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
            Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
            also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
            con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
            time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
            George Perez does a lot of his at night.

            > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
            you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
            probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
            probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
            marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
            artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

            > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
            sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
            small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
            in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
            up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
            if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
            Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
            sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
            sketches though.

            > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
            At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
            where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
            Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
            some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
            artists don't have time to sketch.

            > I hope that helps.
            >
            > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
            > Hello All!
            >
            >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
            > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
            artists
            > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
            that
            > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
            the
            > more difficult to obtain.
            >
            >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
            > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
            in
            > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
            that
            > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
            my
            > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
            favorite
            > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
            for
            > any and all advice!
            >
            > -marveldc1

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Mail
            >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            sh@dy
          • R Howard
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 19, 2006
              I wouldn't count on too many artists wanting the responsibility of keeping your sketchbook after you leave and sending it to you later.  Too much risk of it getting lost that way.  I've commissioned artists to do sketches on a loose sheet of paper for me after the con, but if that gets lost or damaged, it's only one sketch, and they can replace it.

              As Matt said, many artists will do a quick sketch for you at the table, or hold onto your book for a few hours or even overnight to do a more elaborate sketch, if they know you're going to be back for it later or the next day.

              A couple of points of sketch ettiquette:

              1) Don't get angry if an artist declines to do a sketch.  These guys draw for a living and sometimes they either just don't feel like sketching, or they are too busy to sketch.  Also, believe it or not soem artists don't like to do sketches because they are perfectionists and don't feel they are good at quick sketches.

              2) Don't hold up the line.  If there are a ton of people behind you, either leave your book with the artist or wait until his/her line is shorter.  You may want to consider getting two books for this very reason.  There is a Borders right near the convention center and they usually have sketchbooks on clearance for like $5.00-$7.00.  At least mine always does.

              3) Find out what, if anything, the artist charges ahead of time.  Some artists will do a quick little head sketch for free, but if you want a full figure, they'll want to be paid.  Drawing is after all how they make their living.  Some artists will have sketch prices on their tables, but if they don't, just ask if A) they are doing sketches and B) how much they are charging.  If you just want a simple little sketch for free, ask.  All they can do is say no.  If they say yes though, be happy with what you got, no matter how simple it is.

              4) Not really etiquitte, but a good tip - hit the hot artists first.  Don't wait until the end of the day Saturday to ask Adam Hughes for a full sketch of Wonder Woman; in all likelihood his sketch list will be filled up by midway through Friday.

              5) Another tip - get a sketch from Gene Gonzales, and don't be afraid to pay for one.  Gene is one of the best underpublished artists at the con.

              wrote:

              > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
              pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
              Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
              also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
              con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
              time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
              George Perez does a lot of his at night.

              > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
              you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
              probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
              probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
              marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
              artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

              > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
              sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
              small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
              in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
              up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
              if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
              Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
              sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
              sketches though.

              > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
              At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
              where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
              Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
              some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
              artists don't have time to sketch.

              > I hope that helps.
              >
              > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
              > Hello All!
              >
              >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
              > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
              artists
              > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
              that
              > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
              the
              > more difficult to obtain.
              >
              >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
              > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
              in
              > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
              that
              > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
              my
              > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
              favorite
              > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
              for
              > any and all advice!
              >
              > -marveldc1

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              > Yahoo! Mail
              >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              --
              sh@dy

            • James Rowe
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 19, 2006
                Last year Mark texeria did a sketch for me on a comic
                board. I took and put in a sketch book using phot
                holders.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • jerry self
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 19, 2006
                  i have stickers on the outside of mine (love those white apples that came with my powerbook) and i have a piece of paper taped to the inside with myname and phone#

                  most of them if you leave the book will write down name and what you want

                  i think the size on mine is 10x14 or so

                  wrote:

                  > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
                  pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
                  Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
                  also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
                  con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
                  time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
                  George Perez does a lot of his at night.

                  > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
                  you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
                  probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
                  probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
                  marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
                  artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

                  > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
                  sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
                  small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
                  in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
                  up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
                  if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
                  Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
                  sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
                  sketches though.

                  > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
                  At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
                  where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
                  Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
                  some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
                  artists don't have time to sketch.

                  > I hope that helps.
                  >
                  > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
                  > Hello All!
                  >
                  >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
                  > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
                  artists
                  > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
                  that
                  > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
                  the
                  > more difficult to obtain.
                  >
                  >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
                  > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
                  in
                  > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
                  that
                  > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
                  my
                  > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
                  favorite
                  > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
                  for
                  > any and all advice!
                  >
                  > -marveldc1

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Yahoo! Mail
                  >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

                  www.jjsphotos.com
                  www.geocities.com/jjsdc03

                  Celebrate Earth Day everyday! Discover 10 things you can do to help slow climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day

                • leroy dedominicis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 19, 2006
                    yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt gonna make the con!
                    i was gettin 3  pieces done from him but he says his work schedule is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
                    too bad gene is fantastic!

                    wrote:

                    > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
                    pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
                    Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
                    also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
                    con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
                    time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
                    George Perez does a lot of his at night.

                    > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
                    you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
                    probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
                    probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
                    marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
                    artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

                    > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
                    sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
                    small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
                    in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
                    up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
                    if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
                    Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
                    sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
                    sketches though.

                    > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
                    At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
                    where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
                    Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
                    some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
                    artists don't have time to sketch.

                    > I hope that helps.
                    >
                    > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
                    > Hello All!
                    >
                    >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
                    > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
                    artists
                    > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
                    that
                    > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
                    the
                    > more difficult to obtain.
                    >
                    >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
                    > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
                    in
                    > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
                    that
                    > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
                    my
                    > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
                    favorite
                    > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
                    for
                    > any and all advice!
                    >
                    > -marveldc1

                    Service.

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > Yahoo! Mail
                    >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    --
                    sh@dy

                  • Anthony
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 20, 2006
                      I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation.

                      According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
                      weekend.

                      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, leroy dedominicis
                      <collector1204@...> wrote:

                      > yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt
                      gonna make the con!
                      > i was gettin 3 pieces done from him but he says his work schedule
                      is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
                      > too bad gene is fantastic!
                    • leroy dedominicis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 20, 2006
                        are you serious?!!!
                        that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
                        man life sucks.lol
                        is that positive that hughes isnt coming?

                        <collector1204@...> wrote:

                        > yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt
                        gonna make the con!
                        >   i was gettin 3  pieces done from him but he says his work schedule
                        is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
                        >   too bad gene is fantastic!

                      • Anthony
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 20, 2006
                          Sadly, yes.
                          Allison, Adam's girlfriend, posted apologies for the cancelation, so
                          it seems definite.

                          <collector1204@...> wrote:

                          > are you serious?!!!
                          > that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
                          > man life sucks.lol
                          > is that positive that hughes isnt coming?
                          >
                          > Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
                          > I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation.
                          >
                          > According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
                          > weekend.
                        • leroy dedominicis
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 20, 2006
                            son of a bugger!!lol lol
                            oh well. guess that leaves a few more dollars for other stuff. hopefully i can get a comission or 2 from george perez.

                            <collector1204@...> wrote:

                            > are you serious?!!!
                            >   that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
                            >   man life sucks.lol
                            >   is that positive that hughes isnt coming?
                            >
                            > Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
                            >   I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation.
                            >
                            > According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
                            > weekend.

                          • jerry self
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 22, 2006
                              1) adam will be full by an hour after the show opens, if you want a full sketch from him, go to him VERY first thing

                              2) an option to a sketch book is comic book backing boards the rough side is VERY good for sketches