Re: [pittscomicon] New Backup Group Needed?

  • Joe Patrick
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4 7:18 AM
      Either that, or have maybe another mod or two created that is online daily to be able to ban / delete posts of a purely spam nature....

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4 7:31 AM
        I really don't know what's going on. I've never met mod - Fuko_Chan
        but in the past she has always been pretty good about handling spam
        problems fairly promptly. She maybe on vacation or away from her
        computer. I know uss_escort sent her an email concerning the problem
        and I don't know whether he got any response. I'll try to contact her
        again and hopefully we can get back to a spam free environment around
        here. But out of respect for her, since she is the originator of the
        board, I'd wait until we here from her.

        Patrick Thomas
        Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4 7:33 AM
          Perfect. I know i couldnt do it, but i can see there are enough people that hit this group that extra Mods would take care of it.

          Either that, or have maybe another mod or two created that is online daily to be able to ban / delete posts of a purely spam nature....

          Sounds fine to me. I thought the mod could kick anyone out of the group at any time. This is one person doing the spamming,
          what the problem/hold up?

          > From: Andrew Harmon <aharmon@impulsegraf ix.com>
          > Date: 2008/08/04 Mon AM 08:37:41 EDT
          > To: pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com
          > Subject: [pittscomicon] New Backup Group Needed?

          -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

          Hey gang,

          Due to the recent influx of spam I was wondering if anyone would be opposed of me creating a temporary or backup group until things get sorted out with this current group? To clarify, I'm in no way trying to hijack anything. I'm just a simple Con goer who enjoys this group and the event it's associated with. Anyway, if anyone else thinks it's a good idea, let me know.

          -Andrew

        • uss_escort
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4 7:57 AM
            I have not heard back from Fuko_Chan. However, since she may be in
            transition to school or something, I agree we should give give her a
            chance to respond. I say give her this week, if none of us hear
            anything, we will take whatever action is needed.

            Todd

            > I really don't know what's going on. I've never met mod - Fuko_Chan
            > but in the past she has always been pretty good about handling spam
            > problems fairly promptly. She maybe on vacation or away from her
            > computer. I know uss_escort sent her an email concerning the problem
            > and I don't know whether he got any response. I'll try to contact her
            > again and hopefully we can get back to a spam free environment around
            > here. But out of respect for her, since she is the originator of the
            > board, I'd wait until we here from her.
            >
            > Patrick Thomas
            > Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon

          • Chris Underwood
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4 8:11 AM
              Great idea!
              I'm so tired of getting this porno spam.

            • sjharvey9@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 6 4:55 PM
                Can't we just block the person that's sending this crap?

                In a message dated 8/4/2008 8:38:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, aharmon@... writes:
                Hey gang,

                Due to the recent influx of spam I was wondering if anyone would be opposed of me creating a temporary or backup group until things get sorted out with this current group? To clarify, I'm in no way trying to hijack anything. I'm just a simple Con goer who enjoys this group and the event it's associated with. Anyway, if anyone else thinks it's a good idea, let me know.

                -Andrew

              • acroraya30x
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7 5:47 AM
                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, sjharvey9@... wrote:

                  > Can't we just block the person that's sending this crap?

                  The moderator/owner for the group should be able to ban the member by
                  looking up their entry in the members list, then choosing the 'ban
                  member' option.

                  I always require approval for all memberships in my group. Anyone who
                  can't be bothered to make a sensible statement in their application
                  goes on 'moderated' status (in "Member Settings") until the prove
                  they're really interested members and not spammers.

                  Been running a 500+ member group since 2001, and have never had any
                  spam problems.

                  - AcroRay
                • uss_escort
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 7 8:11 AM
                    That is the problem. The Mod has seemingly abandoned the board. Both
                    Patrick and I have sent the Mod emails and I know I have not received
                    a reply. She has not responded to requests from members on the board.
                    So, I think something has to be done.

                    TJ

                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "acroraya30x" <acroraya30x@...>