Re: [pittscomicon] New Backup Group Needed?

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
      Great question.

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: "donaldbain@..." <donaldbain@...>
      To: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, August 4, 2008 8:55:05 AM
      Subject: Re: [pittscomicon] New Backup Group Needed?

      Sounds fine to me. I thought the mod could kick anyone out of the group at any time. This is one person doing the spamming,
      what the problem/hold up?

      > From: Andrew Harmon <aharmon@impulsegraf ix.com>
      > Date: 2008/08/04 Mon AM 08:37:41 EDT
      > To: pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com
      > Subject: [pittscomicon] New Backup Group Needed?

      -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

      Hey gang,

      Due to the recent influx of spam I was wondering if anyone would be opposed of me creating a temporary or backup group until things get sorted out with this current group? To clarify, I'm in no way trying to hijack anything. I'm just a simple Con goer who enjoys this group and the event it's associated with. Anyway, if anyone else thinks it's a good idea, let me know.

      -Andrew

    • Joe Patrick
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
        Either that, or have maybe another mod or two created that is online daily to be able to ban / delete posts of a purely spam nature....

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
          I really don't know what's going on. I've never met mod - Fuko_Chan
          but in the past she has always been pretty good about handling spam
          problems fairly promptly. She maybe on vacation or away from her
          computer. I know uss_escort sent her an email concerning the problem
          and I don't know whether he got any response. I'll try to contact her
          again and hopefully we can get back to a spam free environment around
          here. But out of respect for her, since she is the originator of the
          board, I'd wait until we here from her.

          Patrick Thomas
          Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
            Perfect. I know i couldnt do it, but i can see there are enough people that hit this group that extra Mods would take care of it.

            Either that, or have maybe another mod or two created that is online daily to be able to ban / delete posts of a purely spam nature....

            Sounds fine to me. I thought the mod could kick anyone out of the group at any time. This is one person doing the spamming,
            what the problem/hold up?

            > From: Andrew Harmon <aharmon@impulsegraf ix.com>
            > Date: 2008/08/04 Mon AM 08:37:41 EDT
            > To: pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com
            > Subject: [pittscomicon] New Backup Group Needed?

            -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

            Hey gang,

            Due to the recent influx of spam I was wondering if anyone would be opposed of me creating a temporary or backup group until things get sorted out with this current group? To clarify, I'm in no way trying to hijack anything. I'm just a simple Con goer who enjoys this group and the event it's associated with. Anyway, if anyone else thinks it's a good idea, let me know.

            -Andrew

          • uss_escort
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
              I have not heard back from Fuko_Chan. However, since she may be in
              transition to school or something, I agree we should give give her a
              chance to respond. I say give her this week, if none of us hear
              anything, we will take whatever action is needed.

              Todd

              > I really don't know what's going on. I've never met mod - Fuko_Chan
              > but in the past she has always been pretty good about handling spam
              > problems fairly promptly. She maybe on vacation or away from her
              > computer. I know uss_escort sent her an email concerning the problem
              > and I don't know whether he got any response. I'll try to contact her
              > again and hopefully we can get back to a spam free environment around
              > here. But out of respect for her, since she is the originator of the
              > board, I'd wait until we here from her.
              >
              > Patrick Thomas
              > Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon

            • Chris Underwood
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
                Great idea!
                I'm so tired of getting this porno spam.

              • sjharvey9@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
                  Can't we just block the person that's sending this crap?

                  In a message dated 8/4/2008 8:38:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, aharmon@... writes:
                  Hey gang,

                  Due to the recent influx of spam I was wondering if anyone would be opposed of me creating a temporary or backup group until things get sorted out with this current group? To clarify, I'm in no way trying to hijack anything. I'm just a simple Con goer who enjoys this group and the event it's associated with. Anyway, if anyone else thinks it's a good idea, let me know.

                  -Andrew

                • acroraya30x
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 7, 2008
                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, sjharvey9@... wrote:

                    > Can't we just block the person that's sending this crap?

                    The moderator/owner for the group should be able to ban the member by
                    looking up their entry in the members list, then choosing the 'ban
                    member' option.

                    I always require approval for all memberships in my group. Anyone who
                    can't be bothered to make a sensible statement in their application
                    goes on 'moderated' status (in "Member Settings") until the prove
                    they're really interested members and not spammers.

                    Been running a 500+ member group since 2001, and have never had any
                    spam problems.

                    - AcroRay
                  • uss_escort
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 7, 2008
                      That is the problem. The Mod has seemingly abandoned the board. Both
                      Patrick and I have sent the Mod emails and I know I have not received
                      a reply. She has not responded to requests from members on the board.
                      So, I think something has to be done.

                      TJ

                      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "acroraya30x" <acroraya30x@...>