Re: [pittscomicon] San Diego Comic Con?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2008
      i wish i could but i am still deployed for the military. been wanting to go for yrs but something always comes up.

      In a message dated 7/17/2008 10:28:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jencomx3@... writes:
      Is anyone going there?
      Jen

    • Will Crites
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2008
        Wish I could be there, but can't afford it.

        Will

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2008

          Wife and I went last year...for our honeymoon, no less.  If you haven't been before, you have no idea how immense it is.  There's really TOO much stuff to see and check out.  And forget about trying for panels, unless you get there 2-3 hrs beforehand and are prepared to sit through stuff you have NO interest in.

          We got to the area where the Bradbury panel was, about 1 1/2 hours before it started.  The staff FORCED us to go inside and watch some stupid panel about some sci fi show that has long since been cancelled.  They simply would not allow you to wait in a line outside the room.  Once inside, there weren't two chairs together...so they MADE my wife and I sit across the room from each other.  I got up to leave, muttering to myself of course, only to find the door I entered in "blocked" by security.  Seems that was only an "entrance".  But it's only into the hallway of the lobby, I replied, but they wouldn't let me through.  In a less than smart moment, I brushed past him, and he actually GRABBED me.  My wife pleaded with me not to make a scene, so we left quietly.

          The also oversell the tx for the special screenings "to ensure a sell out", so you could in theory wait hours in line, ticket in hand, only to be turned away.

          Lines are everywhere.  You have to wait in lines for tickets for everything.  The costume ball, panels, screenings, and even to get tickets for a CHANCE to meet Neil Gaiman, Bradbury, etc.  And don't even THINK of speaking up, or the dreaded "Security" guards come over to hassle you.

          Sadly, the least busy part of the entire show floor is the comic dealer room.  You would think that since it's called Comic-Con, comics would be the big focus, but they're not.  It's all about catering to the movie/TV crowd now.   If I had to guess, I'd say that approximately less than 5% of attendees actually read comics.

          We went once, just to say we've been there...but we don't plan on going back.  The only two other shows we feel we should go at least once to is Chicago (Buddy Guy's Legends FTW!), and the New York Con.  Hopefully, they're better than San Diego.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2008
            We'll we're there! :-D