My Sunday at the Con

  • Andrew Harmon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29 2:00 PM
      I made it at about 10:30AM and was on a mission to get some Flash comics to fill some voids, get comics for my kids who were at home and meet some folks on here and artists I've been waiting to see again.

      As soon as I walked in, I broke my tradition of surveying the entire floor before getting into things and made a bee-line to Artists Alley and met Todd Smith. Wondering if he was originally from Altoona (with me being from Altoona), I came up to his table and introduced myself. It turns out that Todd moved from Florida to Pa and has resided there for 16 years due to his wife's family living in the Pittsburgh area (I'm sure Todd will correct me if I'm wrong here). He was fantastic to talk to as I browsed through his awesome work. I missed getting an awesome colored Green Lantern (Todd actually colors his work instead of selling colored prints) as I waited too long until the near end of the show and stopped by when Todd had stepped away.

      I took a hop, skip and jump (ok, maybe not) to Angel Medina's table at his usual spot, only to see he wasn't there. Was he at all? If someone knows, let me know. I was sorely disappointed not seeing him again.

      Starting off in a sulk, I got more and more excited with each step as I went past nearly everyone else to get to Stuart Sayger's table (thankfully in the same place). I saw Stuart's work 2 years ago and picked up his comic and 3 prints: The Joker, Batman and Power Girl. It was nice to see he had been busy since then. I really like this guy's take on imagery. The guy does everything and it shows in his attention to details often overlooked. He has a new Joker piece, and while I wasn't as excited about the actual rendition of the Joker as the first he had done, the total imagery was very dramatic. And surprisingly, the detail of the lamp in the scene was something that had special meaning for him. If you ever get a chance to contact him, ask him about it. Suffice it to say, I must have made some very meaningful critiques because it seemed I was hitting every button this young man was hoping would get noticed. I want to say his wife was in attendance but I can't recall if he is married or not, but either way, his lady was very personable as well. She loves her man and that was nice to see her support him and his work.

      I traveled a bit more and tried to find Jim and Holly. Can you believe I couldn't find them at first? Finally, after some time I found them and hung around the table. I left a few times as Jim was doing sketches but I kept coming back to check. I spoke with Holly and tried to make the connection that I was the one on the boards mentioning the my kids and the suggestive artwork sometimes seen at the Con (which I really didn't see too much of this year, tyvm). I always feel awkward talking to folks because they meet so many people and I'm like "Remember me?" Anyway, Holly was extremely nice and we spoke about her teaching elementary kids art. Again, if I'm wrong on that, Holly will fix it. I'm having a hard time remembering all that went on myself. Suffice it to say that Jim, Holly and Amy (welcome to the boards Amy) were there and very personable. Jim signed my few issues and I found out he designed the Catwoman costume in the '94 series. I'll repeat it here as i said to him. It was an excellent design choice. It reminded me of the purple and green accented dress the earlier Catwoman wore. I told him I especially liked his idea to let the hair flow out the back ala the old Catwoman and Batgirl look. He mentioned it added a sense of feral-ness and sexiness. I couldn't have agreed more. I loved the design as soon as I saw it.

      I caught up with Mike Watt from Happy Cloud Pictures. I used to work with Mike at a company which didn't know which way to go with it's business but was extremely flattered Mike remembered me after all these years. He reminded me that I had done a voice-over for one of his early films The Resurrection Game. He asked if I had a copy and then provided me with one at his table. This guy is great to talk to. This guy keeps busy doing what he does on top of his regular full-time job. For some reason, Mike has always been someone "shooting the sh$t" with would continuously be fun to do. I don't know if Mike would agree but he has great mind.

      I daresay the rest of my time was a bit lackluster to report on. I bought issues dealing with the Sinestro Corps War. I tried attending the costume contest but no offense to the folks that took the time but I got incredibly  board waiting and left. I am happy to hear that when things got rolling it was a success. I'll have to try and have more patience next time.

      This actually brings me to my last thing to mention. The reason for the exit at the costume contest was primarily brought on by the fact that it was Sunday and that usually means vendors/artists leave before 5:00 and i wanted to make sure I got the rest of my tasks done. In fact, by 4:00 there were quite a few empty booths and tables and that a shame and only my biggest gripe. I understand the reasons for it, I just don't like it. I pay to go until 5, and as a potential "customer" I expect the same of the "store".

      Ok, with that, I lied. There is one last thing and I wanted to make sure to end on something positive. I walked over to Tom Defalco who was looking around as if to leave. One of my missions was to get some issues of Spider-Girl to finally start reading it. I saw a few copies of Amazing Spider-Girl #1 on the table and aske Tom if those were meant to be sold for signing. I don't think he quite knew what I was asking. Seeing his face, I wasn't sure I did either. I told you, I hate initiating conversations with celebrities of the comic world (if you're interested, remind me to tell you about the stupid question I asked Mike Turner one time). Anyway, Tom said his publisher doesn't allow him to actually sell books or as he said it "money to actually touch his hand". Whether he was serious or not, I dunno but his fumbling with the idea made me think he was serious. Suffice it to say he gave me a copy, signed it for me along with Ron Frenz who was deep in conversation with someone else. It wasn't exactly a magical meeting with the previous editor-in-chief of Marvel comics but it was awkward, funny and rewarding in the end anyway.

      And with that, I thank you for taking the time to read this if you made it this far. I saw some additional awesome work by some extremely talented people and plan on making them part of my stop next year God willing.

      Andrew

    • James Rowe
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29 2:36 PM
        Angel Medina was not there all week end. I got Ron frenz to sign a bonus dvd that he was in, and when I went home I found out that he did storyboards for the most recent he-man series, I took it to him the next day and got him to sign it as well. He joked with Pat Ollifee that he has so many movies coming out that he can't keep track of them.

        Darth Stewie

        James

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29 4:34 PM
          Awww thank you for the welcome *HUGS* I remember you!
          I remember that conversation you had with Jim. hehehe
          And the one with Holly about teaching art to
          elementary kids! hehehe ;0)

          ~Amy

          Be a better friend, newshound, and