Re: who going to the Steel City Con. and/or Tekkoshocon

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 25 5:50 AM
      Hey Folks,

      Let me get one quick word in. First let me say how much the show
      appreciates the Fan Board created by Kirisawa Fuko. We love the fact
      that there are so many posters that are passionate about the
      Pittsburgh Comicon. Our official policy with the board has always
      been a fairly hands-off approach. I post our updates here, but I
      don't get on and argue every criticism raised about the show because,
      frankly, constructive criticism is always welcomed. I've read every
      message ever posted on the site and because of the fan boards we have
      implemented changes. This year's costume contest will have some
      expanded categories and some additional judges of varying backgrounds
      based solely on the feedback from the fansite. (more on that as soon
      as we hash out all the details) We are always interested in what you
      all have to say and generally I have always found the site to be
      respectful and insightful. I agree with Ed and others that
      axxinjaxxin's post seemed to have an agenda of steering people away
      from the con with no real constructive criticism to it. Whether that
      is what he intended, I have no way of knowing but that is something I
      would prefer to avoid, but as far as the Comicon is concerned, we
      consider this, Your site and we prefer to let things shake out with-in
      the construct of the members themselves, which is exactly what
      happened in this instance. From what I read today, it seems as if
      everyone has returned to a common ground and that makes us happy,
      because we consider all of you a big part of the Comicon Family.

      Again let me thank you all for your passion for the Pittsburgh Comicon.
      I will continue to post updates here first for you all to see, and I
      will continue to read every message posted to get your feedback.

      I can't wait to see you all in April.

      And Lastly (i know i said this would be one quick word, but anyone
      that knows me knows that is impossible),

      I want to thank bsimon9427 for his service to our country and I think
      I speak for everyone when I say we all hope and pray for your quick
      and safe return!!!!

      Patrick A. Thomas
      Marketing Director-Pittsburgh Comicon
    • paul s. brittain
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 25 5:53 AM
        One of the reasons I go to the PittsburghCon is that I have made many friends in past years. You can't beat getting to know the people.

        My only request would be to bring back the Farscape celebs every year. I didn't see any of them in the guest list for this year.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 25 10:28 AM
          Thank you Kirisawa for this post. I was definitely not suggesting
          that we could not make constructive criticism at all.

          I also read Patrick's post from Pittsburgh Comicon and am glad that
          we all seem to share a like-minded thought that this forum is a great
          way for Pittsburgh comicon supporters to meet and discuss the show
          good or bad but at least keep it within the limits as listed in the
          description.

          That all being said and done with...this sounds like another great
          year. I cannot believe that Brian from Ghost Hunters is going to be
          there. I personally love that show and TAPS and think this is so
          cool that the con reached out into a really different genre than
          comics and added another event that is really unique and fun.

          I always enjoy the regular guests, the sci-fi movie guests too.

          The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about
          is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
          so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
          be safe and have a ton of fun!!!

          Thanks again.

          > I see your point. I didn't take it as them saying they weren't going
          > to attend the comicon. Maybe they mentioned that in another post? It
          > still seems more of a casual slip of an opinion than a deliberate
          > anti-comicon argument, to me.
          >
          > Yes, we are completely unofficial, fan run, and have never claimed
          > be otherwise. I started this place because the official site didn't
          > have a forum where fans could voice their opinions, organize meet-
          ups,
          > etc. I told the comicon about it as soon as it was created (in
          2004).
          > The comicon was nice enough to link it from their home page later on
          > (perhaps 2005-2006, I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't that
          > recently).
          >
          > I spoke up because the way you worded your first post response made
          it
          > seem like any negative comments on the comicon should be taken
          > elsewhere and I thought it was important for everyone to know the
          > forum's official policy allows negative comments. I'm sorry if my
          > stepping in seemed bad considering recent events, and I realize the
          > post in question was not constructive criticism. I just wanted to be
          > sure we were clear that constructive crit is encouraged here. I
          admit
          > my usual mod activities only include deleting and banning spammers
          and
          > I rarely post myself. But I remain a fan of the comicon and
          certainly
          > plan to continue to attend.
          >
          > ~Your friendly neighborhood mod
          >
          > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "lothk67" <lothk67@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Well, I am copying the front paragraph of the home page of this
          forum:

          > > "Description
          > >
          > > This is a group for fans and attendees of the yearly Pittsburgh
          Comicon
> [...]
          attending
          > > their show or what you dislike about other shows that makes you
          want to
          > > attend theirs.
          > >
          > > You even state that "it seems to you, it is the person's opinion
          as to
          > > why they are attending another show"....that is not part of the
          > > description on the home page. It does not say this group is for
          posters
          > > who want to state their opinion of why they will not be attending
          > > Pittsburgh Comicon and want to attend another competing con in
          the area!
          > > (that would be just ridiculous to have wouldn't you agree?)
          > >
          > > No one else has done that from what I have read here. Someone
          simply
          > > posted a question as to whether or not any other fans and
          attendees that
          > > are part of this group will also be going to two other shows in
          the
          > > area. They did not ask "Why are you going to other shows and not
          > > Pittsburgh this year?" Other people also responded as to where
          they may
          > > be going and why, if they will be in the city, if they are ready
          etc.
          > > No one else felt the need to say anything about the Pitts show
          that
          > > turned them off and therefore they will go elsewhere. (if they
          had, I
          > > would be commenting to them too)
          > >
          > > Lastly, I wanted to comment about some research I did that
          responds to
          > > something Ed Beard said. I learned from Patrick Thomas that this
          forum
          > > has only recently been linked from the Pittsburgh Comicon
          official site
          > > and really is not controlled or moderated in any official
          capacity by
          > > the Pittsburgh Comicon staff. Ed appeared to be quite shocked
          that the
          > > moderator would come forward in defence of a rather negative
          comment,
          > > especially in trying times.
          > >
          > > -Thanks again.
          > >

          > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Kirisawa Fuko" <fuko_chan@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Your friendly neighborhood mod here...this place has always
          been open
          > > > to both praise and gripes of the con. As it says (and always
          has) on
          > > > our main Yahoo page. If problems aren't brought up for
          discussion,
          > > > they may never be improved. Just wanted to clarify that.
          > > >
          > > > What was being stated there, seems to me to be an opinion of
          someone's
          > > > personal preference as a reason for attending another show. They
          > > > weren't even really griping, and far from outright insulting
          the con
          > > > or saying anyone shouldn't attend it for those reasons.

          What

          > > who
          PAY

          > > shoulder

        • Andrew Harmon
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 25 10:47 AM
            "The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about

            is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
            so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
            be safe and have a ton of fun!"

            While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork (sometimes nudes with yellow pasties over the areas). Admittedly, *I* like seeing the work, but when kids are in tow (ages 11 and 6) and want to see the entire floor, it can be a bit uncomfortable. And as much as I would like to let my kids go see what they like without me, I'm not that free-spirited.

            But we make due as we can.

            Andrew (hoping to go this year)

          • Jim Balent Studios
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 25 11:31 AM
              LOL
              when I was 11 I tok life drawing at the Art Student's League
              of NYC...I turned out okay :-P
              But everyone has their own path ;-)

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 25 11:45 AM
                  hehehe

                  To be fair, the models I did anatomy drawings from at Pittsburgh looked nothing like what I see at the Con ;)

                  In additiona, my son blushes every time he asks for a chicken "breast" LOL

                  On Tue Mar 25 14:31 , Jim Balent Studios sent:

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 25 12:02 PM
                    LOL!
                    I taught pre-K
                    I know the spectrum of kid reactions!
                    5-6yrs is the best!
                    : D
                    PS
                    the Models at Parsons school of design were all
                    gorgeous/ male & female
                    if you do visit ask me about when I had my first 'male' model
                    in an 'grown up's' painting class
                    ,when I was 13...I nearly fainted!
                    its funny!
                    heehee

                    Andrew Harmon wrote:

                    "The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about

                    is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
                    so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
                    be safe and have a ton of fun!"

                    While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork (sometimes nudes with yellow pasties over the areas). Admittedly, *I* like seeing the work, but when kids are in tow (ages 11 and 6) and want to see the entire floor, it can be a bit uncomfortable. And as much as I would like to let my kids go see what they like without me, I'm not that free-spirited.

                    But we make due as we can.

                    Andrew (hoping to go this year)

                  • Joe Patrick
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 25 12:21 PM
                      "While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork"

                      That is something thats completely understandable based on the age of the children.  I have a 16 year old son and I can only imagine what thoughts go through his mind when he sees some of the artists there.  I go mainly for the pin-up style art, but I can understand how some people might be a little leery if they have pre-teen kids that they're bringing.

                       I live maybe 5 minutes from the Expo mart and I buy two of the 3 day passes.  I go all three days and alternately I take my wife, my son and my future son-in-law.  This is the only show that I go to because I enjoy the overall vibe.  If the stuff on the main floor is starting to get to you, there's always the movies being screened or presentations going on, or the CBDL quick sketch and the after hours entertainment in the evening is a blast as well.  Last year my wife and I drove back up for the Casino Night and we can honestly say that we havent had that much fun in a long time and it went for a great cause.  It's the people that you meet that make it more then just browsing for a missing comic here or there.

                      I don't post much here, but I have been reading all of the posts intently since the verdict came down in the George case.  I dont know Mike at all, but its hard to believe that someone who does so much for Make-A-Wish and for many of the fledgling artists out there could be guilty of what he's accused of.  It just doesnt fit with the overall feeling of what we established.

                      I know this is kind of responding to a few of the different threads on here in one topic, but from one of the lurkers out here, we'll be there all 3 days and look forward to seeing old friends again, especially Jason at the poker table come Friday night.