Re: [pittscomicon] Re: who going to the Steel City Con. and/or Tekkoshocon

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 24, 2008
      I agree

      From: batmiteforever <batmiteforever@...>
      To: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 3:11:19 PM
      Subject: [pittscomicon] Re: who going to the Steel City Con. and/or Tekkoshocon

      I gotta argree with Ed, I've thought for some time there are people
      schillin for other shows at the Pitt con's expense here. If I'm
      wrong appologies all around, but its the same people saying the same
      thing about the same shows.....Support all the pittsburgh shows and
      we all win in the end!--- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "Ed Beard
      Jr." <artofedbeard@ ...> wrote:

      > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "Kirisawa Fuko" <fuko_chan@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Your friendly neighborhood mod here...this place has always been
      > open
      > > to both praise and gripes of the con. As it says (and always
      has) on
      > > our main Yahoo page. If problems aren't brought up for
      discussion,
      > > they may never be improved. Just wanted to clarify that.
      >

      > and that's a great policy and by all means keep those honest crits
      > coming. However "axxinjaxxin" has already established that he does
      > not go to the con and emphasizes that he prefers to go to a
      > competitor. That's a far cry from just voicing an opinion from
      > someone who has legitimate issues and would like those issues to
      > improve ( which is what constructive criticism is for).
      >

      > > What was being stated there, seems to me to be an opinion of
      some
      > one's
      > > personal preference as a reason for attending another show. They
      > > weren't even really griping, and far from outright insulting the
      con
      > > or saying anyone shouldn't attend it for those reasons.
      >
      > Here is the original quote:
      > But I'm definitely going to Steel City. They have better
      > shoulder
      >

      > If you can't see the lack of constructive crit and the back handed
      > promo for Steel City Con (it's a dead issue with someone who
      doesn't
      > even attend the show,) then you shouldn't be interjecting on this
      > issue. I'm not claiming that there was even "intent" to promote
      Steel
      > City Con, just that it appears that way the way it's presented.
      >
      > I personally think Mike and Renee have been through enough crap
      > lately with boards who "boast" about the competitors shows. We
      need a
      > MOD who is proactive to prevent this kind of "negative only"
      posting
      > that backhandedly promotes Steel City Con from NON attending
      posters.

      > The Mod's argument is seriously flawed, as There is NOTHING you
      can
      > do for someone who's claim for why they don't attend Pitt and
      boasts
      > about Steel City (which is a competitor)is that they don't like it
      > being "Shoulder to Shoulder" or they have) "better Bargains at
      Steel
      > City Con".
      >
      > Dealers and artists will sell their wears at whatever the market
      will
      > bear and NO CON can control that. Having the show so popular that
      > it's shoulder to shoulder.... is nothing any con will consider a
      > negative and thus not be an issue to address. Honestly I have not
      > seen Pitt shoulder to shoulder in a few years and wish it would be
      at
      > least from the artists perspective.
      >
      > People should be reminded that this forum is for people "who
      attend
      > the show" to discuss both PRO and CON issues. Instead of
      defending
      > negative posts with backhanded promos to competitors ( intended or
      > not). This board is hosted by the "Pittsburgh Comicon" after all
      and
      > not Steel City Con. The groups opening paragraph clearly states
      > that "This is a group for fans and attendees of the yearly
      Pittsburgh
> [...]
      > guardian's" so to speak, who's focus is to be proactive not
      passive,
      > especially during these trying times, in dealing with those who
      would
      > post any type of NON constructive comments, as well as promos for
      > other shows (whether deliberate or not.) Of course that should be
      the
      > Mods job.
      >
      > Lastly I'm very confident that "axxinjaxxin" is fully capable of
      > correcting any misunderstanding of his post if he felt there was a
      > misunderstanding. We (supporters of the CON) would all welcome
      that
      > clarification and to hear that he actually is attending the Con. I
      > know that Mike and Renee care about every concern that "attendees"
      > bring forth. So by all means PLEASE clarify.
      >
      > Let's all stick to the purpose and job at hand folks, and that is
      > support and promote the Pittsburgh Comicon. Constructive crits and
      > gripes ALWAYS welcome.
      >
      > Ed
      >

      > > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "lothk67" <lothk67@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi All, I have been a lurker for some time and hate to start
      my
      > > > posting on this group with a rant but...here goes!
      > > >
      > > > I think that "axxinjaxxin" should get his/her own group where
      you
      > can
      > > > post negatives about any show you want. It seems to me that
      the
      > > > thread here was started to just find out if others are going
      > those
      > > > shows. I did not read where anyone else promoted those other
      > shows by
      > > > talking down about Pittsburgh Comicon. Maybe I didn't read
      far
      > back
      > > > enough?
      > > >
      > > > Either way, if you don't like the Pittsburgh Comicon, find
      > somewhere
      > > > else to post your opinion, this Forum is for the Pittscomicon
      for
      > > > information about the show, meet-ups, etc. and not for
      possible
      > > > leeches who want to pull people away from Pittsburgh Comicon
      > go to
      > > > a competitor's show.
      > > >
      > > > Of course, the funniest part is that you talk about how there
      is
      > only
      > > > shoulder to shoulder room at Pittsburgh Comicon....that right
      > there
      > > > tells me it must be a GREAT show and what a TERRIFIC time I
      would
      > > > have there! If that many people are filling the place up,
      then
      > they
      > > > must know where to go to have a fun time. Also, it must be
      > something
      > > > the vendors and artists on this forum must love to hear!!!
      What
      > > > potential guest or vendor wouldn't love to know there will be
      > that
      > > > many people!
      > > >
      > > > As far as cost....well, I learned a long time ago from my
      parents
      > who
      > > > were penny pinchers this very good cliche', YOU GET WHAT YOU
      PAY

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
        Hey Folks,

        Let me get one quick word in. First let me say how much the show
        appreciates the Fan Board created by Kirisawa Fuko. We love the fact
        that there are so many posters that are passionate about the
        Pittsburgh Comicon. Our official policy with the board has always
        been a fairly hands-off approach. I post our updates here, but I
        don't get on and argue every criticism raised about the show because,
        frankly, constructive criticism is always welcomed. I've read every
        message ever posted on the site and because of the fan boards we have
        implemented changes. This year's costume contest will have some
        expanded categories and some additional judges of varying backgrounds
        based solely on the feedback from the fansite. (more on that as soon
        as we hash out all the details) We are always interested in what you
        all have to say and generally I have always found the site to be
        respectful and insightful. I agree with Ed and others that
        axxinjaxxin's post seemed to have an agenda of steering people away
        from the con with no real constructive criticism to it. Whether that
        is what he intended, I have no way of knowing but that is something I
        would prefer to avoid, but as far as the Comicon is concerned, we
        consider this, Your site and we prefer to let things shake out with-in
        the construct of the members themselves, which is exactly what
        happened in this instance. From what I read today, it seems as if
        everyone has returned to a common ground and that makes us happy,
        because we consider all of you a big part of the Comicon Family.

        Again let me thank you all for your passion for the Pittsburgh Comicon.
        I will continue to post updates here first for you all to see, and I
        will continue to read every message posted to get your feedback.

        I can't wait to see you all in April.

        And Lastly (i know i said this would be one quick word, but anyone
        that knows me knows that is impossible),

        I want to thank bsimon9427 for his service to our country and I think
        I speak for everyone when I say we all hope and pray for your quick
        and safe return!!!!

        Patrick A. Thomas
        Marketing Director-Pittsburgh Comicon
      • paul s. brittain
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
          One of the reasons I go to the PittsburghCon is that I have made many friends in past years. You can't beat getting to know the people.

          My only request would be to bring back the Farscape celebs every year. I didn't see any of them in the guest list for this year.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
            Thank you Kirisawa for this post. I was definitely not suggesting
            that we could not make constructive criticism at all.

            I also read Patrick's post from Pittsburgh Comicon and am glad that
            we all seem to share a like-minded thought that this forum is a great
            way for Pittsburgh comicon supporters to meet and discuss the show
            good or bad but at least keep it within the limits as listed in the
            description.

            That all being said and done with...this sounds like another great
            year. I cannot believe that Brian from Ghost Hunters is going to be
            there. I personally love that show and TAPS and think this is so
            cool that the con reached out into a really different genre than
            comics and added another event that is really unique and fun.

            I always enjoy the regular guests, the sci-fi movie guests too.

            The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about
            is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
            so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
            be safe and have a ton of fun!!!

            Thanks again.

> [...]
            attending
            > > their show or what you dislike about other shows that makes you
            want to
            > > attend theirs.
            > >
            > > You even state that "it seems to you, it is the person's opinion
            as to
            > > why they are attending another show"....that is not part of the
            > > description on the home page. It does not say this group is for
            posters
            > > who want to state their opinion of why they will not be attending
            > > Pittsburgh Comicon and want to attend another competing con in
            the area!
            > > (that would be just ridiculous to have wouldn't you agree?)
            > >
            > > No one else has done that from what I have read here. Someone
            simply
            > > posted a question as to whether or not any other fans and
            attendees that
            > > are part of this group will also be going to two other shows in
            the
            > > area. They did not ask "Why are you going to other shows and not
            > > Pittsburgh this year?" Other people also responded as to where
            they may
            > > be going and why, if they will be in the city, if they are ready
            etc.
            > > No one else felt the need to say anything about the Pitts show
            that
            > > turned them off and therefore they will go elsewhere. (if they
            had, I
            > > would be commenting to them too)
            > >
            > > Lastly, I wanted to comment about some research I did that
            responds to
            > > something Ed Beard said. I learned from Patrick Thomas that this
            forum
            > > has only recently been linked from the Pittsburgh Comicon
            official site
            > > and really is not controlled or moderated in any official
            capacity by
            > > the Pittsburgh Comicon staff. Ed appeared to be quite shocked
            that the
            > > moderator would come forward in defence of a rather negative
            comment,
            > > especially in trying times.
            > >
            > > -Thanks again.
            > >

            > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Kirisawa Fuko" <fuko_chan@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Your friendly neighborhood mod here...this place has always
            been open
            > > > to both praise and gripes of the con. As it says (and always
            has) on
            > > > our main Yahoo page. If problems aren't brought up for
            discussion,
            > > > they may never be improved. Just wanted to clarify that.
            > > >
            > > > What was being stated there, seems to me to be an opinion of
            someone's
            > > > personal preference as a reason for attending another show. They
            > > > weren't even really griping, and far from outright insulting
            the con
            > > > or saying anyone shouldn't attend it for those reasons.

          • Andrew Harmon
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
              "The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about

              is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
              so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
              be safe and have a ton of fun!"

              While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork (sometimes nudes with yellow pasties over the areas). Admittedly, *I* like seeing the work, but when kids are in tow (ages 11 and 6) and want to see the entire floor, it can be a bit uncomfortable. And as much as I would like to let my kids go see what they like without me, I'm not that free-spirited.

              But we make due as we can.

              Andrew (hoping to go this year)

            • Jim Balent Studios
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                LOL
                when I was 11 I tok life drawing at the Art Student's League
                of NYC...I turned out okay :-P
                But everyone has their own path ;-)

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                    hehehe

                    To be fair, the models I did anatomy drawings from at Pittsburgh looked nothing like what I see at the Con ;)

                    In additiona, my son blushes every time he asks for a chicken "breast" LOL

                    On Tue Mar 25 14:31 , Jim Balent Studios sent:

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                      LOL!
                      I taught pre-K
                      I know the spectrum of kid reactions!
                      5-6yrs is the best!
                      : D
                      PS
                      the Models at Parsons school of design were all
                      gorgeous/ male & female
                      if you do visit ask me about when I had my first 'male' model
                      in an 'grown up's' painting class
                      ,when I was 13...I nearly fainted!
                      its funny!
                      heehee

                      Andrew Harmon wrote:

                      "The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about

                      is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
                      so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
                      be safe and have a ton of fun!"

                      While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork (sometimes nudes with yellow pasties over the areas). Admittedly, *I* like seeing the work, but when kids are in tow (ages 11 and 6) and want to see the entire floor, it can be a bit uncomfortable. And as much as I would like to let my kids go see what they like without me, I'm not that free-spirited.

                      But we make due as we can.

                      Andrew (hoping to go this year)

                    • Joe Patrick
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                        "While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork"

                        That is something thats completely understandable based on the age of the children.  I have a 16 year old son and I can only imagine what thoughts go through his mind when he sees some of the artists there.  I go mainly for the pin-up style art, but I can understand how some people might be a little leery if they have pre-teen kids that they're bringing.

                         I live maybe 5 minutes from the Expo mart and I buy two of the 3 day passes.  I go all three days and alternately I take my wife, my son and my future son-in-law.  This is the only show that I go to because I enjoy the overall vibe.  If the stuff on the main floor is starting to get to you, there's always the movies being screened or presentations going on, or the CBDL quick sketch and the after hours entertainment in the evening is a blast as well.  Last year my wife and I drove back up for the Casino Night and we can honestly say that we havent had that much fun in a long time and it went for a great cause.  It's the people that you meet that make it more then just browsing for a missing comic here or there.

                        I don't post much here, but I have been reading all of the posts intently since the verdict came down in the George case.  I dont know Mike at all, but its hard to believe that someone who does so much for Make-A-Wish and for many of the fledgling artists out there could be guilty of what he's accused of.  It just doesnt fit with the overall feeling of what we established.

                        I know this is kind of responding to a few of the different threads on here in one topic, but from one of the lurkers out here, we'll be there all 3 days and look forward to seeing old friends again, especially Jason at the poker table come Friday night.