Re: who going to the Steel City Con. and/or Tekkoshocon

  • batmiteforever
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 24, 2008
      Stay safe and Thank you for your service!

      > i'm not going to anything this year. i am leaving Thursday for
      military
      > service for about 7 months. everyone have fun for me!
      >

      > In a message dated 3/19/2008 10:08:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > catwomanmtb@... writes:
      >

      > I just wanna know if I'm going to see anyone there. And if so which
      > one and what day and time...
      >

      > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
      on AOL
      > Home.
      > (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?
      ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

    • Kirisawa Fuko
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 24, 2008
        I see your point. I didn't take it as them saying they weren't going
        to attend the comicon. Maybe they mentioned that in another post? It
        still seems more of a casual slip of an opinion than a deliberate
        anti-comicon argument, to me.

        Yes, we are completely unofficial, fan run, and have never claimed to
        be otherwise. I started this place because the official site didn't
        have a forum where fans could voice their opinions, organize meet-ups,
        etc. I told the comicon about it as soon as it was created (in 2004).
        The comicon was nice enough to link it from their home page later on
        (perhaps 2005-2006, I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't that
        recently).

        I spoke up because the way you worded your first post response made it
        seem like any negative comments on the comicon should be taken
        elsewhere and I thought it was important for everyone to know the
        forum's official policy allows negative comments. I'm sorry if my
        stepping in seemed bad considering recent events, and I realize the
        post in question was not constructive criticism. I just wanted to be
        sure we were clear that constructive crit is encouraged here. I admit
        my usual mod activities only include deleting and banning spammers and
        I rarely post myself. But I remain a fan of the comicon and certainly
        plan to continue to attend.

        ~Your friendly neighborhood mod

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 24, 2008
          I agree

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
            Hey Folks,

            Let me get one quick word in. First let me say how much the show
            appreciates the Fan Board created by Kirisawa Fuko. We love the fact
            that there are so many posters that are passionate about the
            Pittsburgh Comicon. Our official policy with the board has always
            been a fairly hands-off approach. I post our updates here, but I
            don't get on and argue every criticism raised about the show because,
            frankly, constructive criticism is always welcomed. I've read every
            message ever posted on the site and because of the fan boards we have
            implemented changes. This year's costume contest will have some
            expanded categories and some additional judges of varying backgrounds
            based solely on the feedback from the fansite. (more on that as soon
            as we hash out all the details) We are always interested in what you
            all have to say and generally I have always found the site to be
            respectful and insightful. I agree with Ed and others that
            axxinjaxxin's post seemed to have an agenda of steering people away
            from the con with no real constructive criticism to it. Whether that
            is what he intended, I have no way of knowing but that is something I
            would prefer to avoid, but as far as the Comicon is concerned, we
            consider this, Your site and we prefer to let things shake out with-in
            the construct of the members themselves, which is exactly what
            happened in this instance. From what I read today, it seems as if
            everyone has returned to a common ground and that makes us happy,
            because we consider all of you a big part of the Comicon Family.

            Again let me thank you all for your passion for the Pittsburgh Comicon.
            I will continue to post updates here first for you all to see, and I
            will continue to read every message posted to get your feedback.

            I can't wait to see you all in April.

            And Lastly (i know i said this would be one quick word, but anyone
            that knows me knows that is impossible),

            I want to thank bsimon9427 for his service to our country and I think
            I speak for everyone when I say we all hope and pray for your quick
            and safe return!!!!

            Patrick A. Thomas
            Marketing Director-Pittsburgh Comicon
          • paul s. brittain
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
              One of the reasons I go to the PittsburghCon is that I have made many friends in past years. You can't beat getting to know the people.

              My only request would be to bring back the Farscape celebs every year. I didn't see any of them in the guest list for this year.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                Thank you Kirisawa for this post. I was definitely not suggesting
                that we could not make constructive criticism at all.

                I also read Patrick's post from Pittsburgh Comicon and am glad that
                we all seem to share a like-minded thought that this forum is a great
                way for Pittsburgh comicon supporters to meet and discuss the show
                good or bad but at least keep it within the limits as listed in the
                description.

                That all being said and done with...this sounds like another great
                year. I cannot believe that Brian from Ghost Hunters is going to be
                there. I personally love that show and TAPS and think this is so
                cool that the con reached out into a really different genre than
                comics and added another event that is really unique and fun.

                I always enjoy the regular guests, the sci-fi movie guests too.

                The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about
                is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
                so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
                be safe and have a ton of fun!!!

                Thanks again.

> [...]
                comment,
                > > especially in trying times.
                > >
                > > -Thanks again.
                > >

                > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Kirisawa Fuko" <fuko_chan@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Your friendly neighborhood mod here...this place has always
                been open
                > > > to both praise and gripes of the con. As it says (and always
                has) on
                > > > our main Yahoo page. If problems aren't brought up for
                discussion,
                > > > they may never be improved. Just wanted to clarify that.
                > > >
                > > > What was being stated there, seems to me to be an opinion of
                someone's
                > > > personal preference as a reason for attending another show. They
                > > > weren't even really griping, and far from outright insulting
                the con
                > > > or saying anyone shouldn't attend it for those reasons.

              • Andrew Harmon
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                  "The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about

                  is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
                  so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
                  be safe and have a ton of fun!"

                  While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork (sometimes nudes with yellow pasties over the areas). Admittedly, *I* like seeing the work, but when kids are in tow (ages 11 and 6) and want to see the entire floor, it can be a bit uncomfortable. And as much as I would like to let my kids go see what they like without me, I'm not that free-spirited.

                  But we make due as we can.

                  Andrew (hoping to go this year)

                • Jim Balent Studios
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                    LOL
                    when I was 11 I tok life drawing at the Art Student's League
                    of NYC...I turned out okay :-P
                    But everyone has their own path ;-)

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                        hehehe

                        To be fair, the models I did anatomy drawings from at Pittsburgh looked nothing like what I see at the Con ;)

                        In additiona, my son blushes every time he asks for a chicken "breast" LOL

                        On Tue Mar 25 14:31 , Jim Balent Studios sent:

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                          LOL!
                          I taught pre-K
                          I know the spectrum of kid reactions!
                          5-6yrs is the best!
                          : D
                          PS
                          the Models at Parsons school of design were all
                          gorgeous/ male & female
                          if you do visit ask me about when I had my first 'male' model
                          in an 'grown up's' painting class
                          ,when I was 13...I nearly fainted!
                          its funny!
                          heehee

                          Andrew Harmon wrote:

                          "The other thing that I don't know that anyone else has posted about

                          is that I really appreciate the fact that I have 2 children and feel
                          so comfortable that they can roam all around the show without me, and
                          be safe and have a ton of fun!"

                          While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork (sometimes nudes with yellow pasties over the areas). Admittedly, *I* like seeing the work, but when kids are in tow (ages 11 and 6) and want to see the entire floor, it can be a bit uncomfortable. And as much as I would like to let my kids go see what they like without me, I'm not that free-spirited.

                          But we make due as we can.

                          Andrew (hoping to go this year)

                        • Joe Patrick
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 25, 2008
                            "While I'm certainly not knocking the Con by any means, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable walking past certain (usually fantasy/pinup) artists with my kids where they can see the near next-to-nothing artwork"

                            That is something thats completely understandable based on the age of the children.  I have a 16 year old son and I can only imagine what thoughts go through his mind when he sees some of the artists there.  I go mainly for the pin-up style art, but I can understand how some people might be a little leery if they have pre-teen kids that they're bringing.

                             I live maybe 5 minutes from the Expo mart and I buy two of the 3 day passes.  I go all three days and alternately I take my wife, my son and my future son-in-law.  This is the only show that I go to because I enjoy the overall vibe.  If the stuff on the main floor is starting to get to you, there's always the movies being screened or presentations going on, or the CBDL quick sketch and the after hours entertainment in the evening is a blast as well.  Last year my wife and I drove back up for the Casino Night and we can honestly say that we havent had that much fun in a long time and it went for a great cause.  It's the people that you meet that make it more then just browsing for a missing comic here or there.

                            I don't post much here, but I have been reading all of the posts intently since the verdict came down in the George case.  I dont know Mike at all, but its hard to believe that someone who does so much for Make-A-Wish and for many of the fledgling artists out there could be guilty of what he's accused of.  It just doesnt fit with the overall feeling of what we established.

                            I know this is kind of responding to a few of the different threads on here in one topic, but from one of the lurkers out here, we'll be there all 3 days and look forward to seeing old friends again, especially Jason at the poker table come Friday night.