Appeal

  • bdk1975
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2008
      I think it is impossible for us to determine whether or not the
      evidence was strong enough to convict without sitting there in the
      courtroom. The papers/media coverage does not give a full picture of
      the entire sequence of the trial.

      Also, do not become overly hopeful about an appeal. Just
      statistically, winning a reversal or new trial on appeal is extremely
      difficult. As I'm sure most of you know, appeals are reviews of
      mistakes of law in the trial court below, not a review of the facts.
      Determinations of fact are left up to the judgment of the jury.

      The bottom line is that a jury found the evidnce presented to be
      persuasive -- and a conviction was secured.
    • Jim Burns
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2008
        Only thing was there was no real evidence. Just witness that seem to be able to vividly recall images from 18 yrs. ago.
        Hell I cant remember stuff from 18 yrs. ago, let alone what I did last week, but honestly there was something not right with the
        prosecution. I hope Mike can win at the appeal, I have known him for quite sometime, and he isn't a killer. Always a
        reall nice guy and was there to help anyone.

        Jim Burns
        327th Star Corps

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20, 2008
          friends of Mike and Renee George from the Pittsburgh ComicCon.

          The Georges' have asked us to support the recent move to have the
          Judge Beirnat who presided over the trial "vacate the verdict" on
          the grounds that there is NO factual evidence and everything is
          curcumstamntial. More importantly that the Judge Beirnat himself was
          shocked ( as reported ) by the verdict and instructed the Jury to not
          be pursuaded by the Hearsay or circumstantial presentation by the
          prosecution.

          The Judge Beirnat has the power to determine that this verdict was
          reached without the jurors following his instructions. However the
          Judge will need our support via hard copy letter. These letters are
          to be presented in person on this Friday by Michael's defense
          attorney.

          So feel free to use my letter below as a reference or segments to
          copy if you so desire.

          But we need to send these letters out today or tomorrow at the
          address below in my letter so that they arrive by Wednesday the 26th
          next week.

          Thanks for your support of Michael, Renee and their children, after
          all it's the least we can do, after all they have gone through and
          what they have done for us.

          Ed

          Judge Beirnat

          c/o Marlinga Law Group

          43550 Elizabeth Rd

          Clinton Township, MI
          48046

          March 19th, 2008

          Dear Honorable Judge Beirnat,

          After hearing the verdict in the Michael George Murder trial, we were
          both shocked and disgusted with the lack of Jurors prudence applied.
          It was clear to anyone reading about this verdict, the "hear say" and
          so obviously "circumstantial" testimony, that these jurors clearly
          must not have understood your instructions.

          I am sure that you would have instructed the Jury to consider the
          defendant, Michael George, as an innocent man at the beginning of the
          trial and that they must only consider the facts and not be swayed by
          circumstantial and unsubstantiated evidence presented by the
          prosecution.

          A person is supposed to be "INNOCENT" until proven guilty. The
          evidence must be more than circumstantial and give reasonable persons
          the ability to remove any doubt that there may be another
          explanation. The Juror is supposed to not allow character, emotional
          or personal beliefs cloud the factual evaluation of the evidence
          before them.

          Nearly six months ago, newspapers in PA , Chicago, and MI had
          already portrayed Michael George as follows:

          "Wife cheating adulterer had an affair with hired help, plots to kill
          wife, pretends that it was a break in, collects the insurance money
          and then skips the state to go live in PA. "

          Jurors are supposed to focus on the facts and evidence and not
          whether Michael George cheated on his former wife or not or did he
          have an affair or fall in love with Renee George or not. These points
          are "irrelevant" to the issue of guilt or innocence of whether Mike
          George killed his wife with a gun.

          It is an abomination of our justice system that jury members could
          allow themselves to be entertained by the DA's award winning
          performance for Dateline NBC. They lost all sense of reality and
          destroyed a man and his family with a guilty verdict, just because
          it "sounds" like a plausible course of action.

          We implore your wisdom and Judge's prudence to vacate the jury's
          verdict on the grounds that these jurors could not have possibly
          understood or followed your instructions in addition to many other
          failures that we are sure you shall be considering.

          We can only hope for a NEW trial for the sake of TRUE justice. We
          also hope for a Jury that has not been tainted by the media and that
          can follow judge's instructions.

          With great respect and hope,

          Mr. and Mrs. Edward P. Beard Jr.
        • stevenjregina
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22, 2008
            Thanks so much for the information, Ed. I sent a letter out this
            morning. At the post office, the computer said that my letter was
            scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, so there is still a chance that
            letters sent out on Monday could arrive in time if a person is close
            enough (I'm 30 miles from Pittsburgh). There's no guarantees, but the
            more letters they get, the more it should help.

            I don't know Michael and Renee especially well, but they have always
            treated me well when I have attended the last several shows as either
            a journalist or retailer. This year, Renee asked me to help judge the
            costume contest so that there was an anime expert on the panel. I was
            flattered, and will be attending the show. I love this show and will
            do anything that I can to support it. I think everybody here knows
            how much good the show does for Make-A-Wish and CBLDF each year, and
            I think we all need to overcome the vultures and promote this show so
            that these great organizations don't suffer from the overwhelming
            biased and negative presentation of facts in the media.

            Steven Regina
            Joy's Japanimation

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Beard
            Jr." <artofedbeard@...> wrote:

            > friends of Mike and Renee George from the Pittsburgh ComicCon.
            >

            > The Georges' have asked us to support the recent move to have the
            > Judge Beirnat who presided over the trial "vacate the verdict" on
            > the grounds that there is NO factual evidence and everything is
            > curcumstamntial. More importantly that the Judge Beirnat himself
            was
            > shocked ( as reported ) by the verdict and instructed the Jury to
            not
            > be pursuaded by the Hearsay or circumstantial presentation by the
            > prosecution.
            >

            > The Judge Beirnat has the power to determine that this verdict was
            > reached without the jurors following his instructions. However the
            > Judge will need our support via hard copy letter. These letters are
            > to be presented in person on this Friday by Michael's defense
            > attorney.
            >

            > So feel free to use my letter below as a reference or segments to
            > copy if you so desire.
            >

            > But we need to send these letters out today or tomorrow at the
            > address below in my letter so that they arrive by Wednesday the
            26th
            > next week.
            >

            > Thanks for your support of Michael, Renee and their children, after
            > all it's the least we can do, after all they have gone through and
            > what they have done for us.
            >

            > Ed
            >

            > Judge Beirnat
            >
            > c/o Marlinga Law Group