Re: Verdict is in for Michael George murder trial

  • batmiteforever
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008
      My heart goes out to everyone involved in this mess. I read daily the
      Michigan papers and am shocked at the outcome. I will support the
      family and the show anyway I can, If your a con guest, fan or friend
      of the George family now more than ever show your support be there in
      April.
      Brian from Pittsburgh.....
      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Davis <lisad_2711@...>
      wrote:

      > Wow.....This is really sad news. I was hoping that they would find
      him not guilty! I'll still attend the Convention and do my costuming
      as planned. I also send my best wishes for Michael and his family
      and hope that God will watch over them!
      > ~Spidergirl

      so important. We
> [...]
      > shooting
      > > his wife 17 years ago in the back room of a comic book store they
      > > owned together.
      > >
      > > George was accused of shooting his wife, Barbara, in the head on
      > July
      > > 13, 1990, and making the crime look like a robbery. The jury
      found
      > > George guilty of first-degree murder, felony firearm, insurance
      > fraud
      > > and obtaining money from an insurance agency under false
      pretenses.

      > > The four-man and eight-woman jury began deliberations Friday
      > > afternoon after listening to the testimony of nearly 50 witnesses
      > in
      > > the trial that drew national media attention.
      > >
      > > Defense attorney Carl Marlinga rested his case Thursday after
      > calling
      > > 12 witnesses, including George's mother, who testified her son
      was
      > at
      > > her Hazel Park home on the evening of Barbara George's murder.
      > >
      > > Neither Michael George nor his current wife -- with whom he was
      > > having an affair with at the time of the murder -- took the stand
      > in
      > > the trial.
      > >
      > > The case was reopened in late 2006 by Clinton Township police
      with
      > > charges brought against Michael George in August.
      > >
      > > Prosecutors allege that George left the comics shop with his two
      > > young daughters the night of the murder, and drove to his
      mother's
      > > house in Hazel Park to drop the children off to spend the night.
      > >
      > > While George's mother and daughters went to a nearby park,
      > > prosecutors say George drove back to the store, shot his wife and
      > > then returned to the Hazel Park house before his children and
      > mother
      > > returned.
      > >
      > > Macomb Assistant Prosecutor Steve Kaplan said George could be
      > placed
      > > at the store by a customer's phone call to the store at 5:30 p.m.
      > on
      > > the day of the killing. The customer said he spoke to George at a
      > > time he supposedly was at his mother's house.
      > >
      > > Kaplan alleged that the then 30-year-old George shot his wife
      > because
      > > of "greed, sex and power." Kaplan said George schemed to collect
      > > nearly $130,000 in insurance money, take control of the comic
      book
      > > shop, and continue his affair with a store employee.
      > >
      > > Defense attorneys for George contended that he was at his
      mother's
      > > house the entire time of the crime.
      > >

      > <!--
      >
      > #ygrp-mkp{
      0px;padding:0px 14px;}
      > #ygrp-mkp hr{
      > border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
      > #ygrp-mkp #hd{
      > color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-
      height:122%;margin:10px 0px;}
      > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
      > margin-bottom:10px;}
      > #ygrp-mkp .ad{
      > padding:0 0;}
      > #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
      > color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
      > -->
      >
      > <!--
      >
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
      > font-family:Arial;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
      > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
      > -->
      >
      > <!--
      >
      > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica,
      clean, sans-serif;}
      clean, sans-serif;}
      > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
      > #ygrp-text{
      > font-family:Georgia;
      > }
      > #ygrp-text p{
      > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
      > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
      > font-family:Arial;
      > clear:both;}
      > #ygrp-vitnav{
      > #ygrp-vitnav a{
      > padding:0 1px;}
      > #ygrp-actbar{
      align:right;}
      > #ygrp-actbar .left{
      > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
      > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
      > #ygrp-grft{
      > #ygrp-ft{
      > padding:5px 0;
      > }
      > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
      > padding-bottom:10px;}
      >
      > #ygrp-reco {
      > margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
      > #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
      > font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}
      >
      > #reco-grpname{
      > font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
      > #reco-category{
      > font-size:77%;}
      > #reco-desc{
      > font-size:77%;}
      >
      > #ygrp-vital{
      > #ygrp-vital #vithd{
      transform:uppercase;}
      > #ygrp-vital ul{
      > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
      > #ygrp-vital ul li{
      > }
      > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
      align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
      > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
      > font-weight:bold;}
      > #ygrp-vital a{
      > text-decoration:none;}
      >
      > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
      > text-decoration:underline;}
      >
      > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
      > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
      > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
      > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
      > padding:8px 0;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
      size:100%;line-height:122%;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
      > text-decoration:none;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
      > text-decoration:underline;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
      > margin:0;}
      > o{font-size:0;}
      > .MsoNormal{
      > margin:0 0 0 0;}
      > #ygrp-text tt{
      > font-size:120%;}
      > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
      > .replbq{margin:4;}
      > -->

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Ed Beard Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008
        Hey folks,

        Fantasy Artist Ed Beard Jr here. I just signed up as a member ( to
        think I have been a guest at Pittsburgh for 15 years and never joined
        here??)

        Be warned this is a long RANT. Please excuse the spelling,
        punctuation etc. it's late and this is just a casual forum so please
        focus or debate the content and not the grammar.
        -Thanks

        My wife Kelly and I have known Mike and Renee and their children
        since 1992. Our kids are about the same age and we have personally
        backed every thing they have ever done in this industry. Mike and
        Renee are the reason that PCC is what it is today. NO promoter has
        ever treated their guest artists as good as Mike and Renee. No One
        has been as great a support to needy kids via Make-A-Wish. No One has
        been so generous to the CBLDF and the genre in general.

        On a personal level Mike and Renee are outstanding citizens of Winbur
        PA with Mike's community involvement with children second to none.

        Now lets say my wife and I pretend that we have never met Mike and
        Renee before and since last August we read in the papers, the
        theatrical headlines portraying a Murderous adulterer, who killed his
        wife to collect insurance money and sweep his mistress off to PA from
        MI some 18 years ago....? This might just make us think we was
        hearing the Friday night suspense drama on television or the latest
        Star or Inquirer magazine headlines.

        Ah but then None of the accurate facts are presented and only an
        overzealous prosecutors concocted circumstantial evidence is offered
        what then might Jon Q Public think if one did not know the other side
        of the story...hmmm. My guess would be what everyone of those Jurors
        thought, and the general public who has been waiting with bated
        breath for the Dateline NBC movie of the week special on the whole
        ordeal. Guilty!

        Now that the trial is over, I would like to offer that which the news
        media failed to mention. Facts that John Q public has not been privy
        to. These are just a few of the general facts that were suppose to be
        brought out by Mike's defense attorney for the jurors to hear. This
        info was shared in conversations with Mike, Renee and I. I was asked
        not to offer this info until after the trial as it should have
        resulted in this case getting thrown out. I am not sure how much of
        this was covered or allowed to be presented as defense evidence, but
        it should make all of us think hard about the outcome of Mike verdict

        1. Mike NEVER owned or possessed any weapons in his entire life let
        alone used one. The only weapon that were ever transferred to his
        estate for a brief period of time was from his father's death and
        estate which was immediately sold to a legitimate buyer and gun
        owner. This weapon was not even manufactured until years after the
        death of Barbara.

        2. When the murder took place there were several detectives who
        interviewed witnesses that were there that day at the comic shop. Two
        of those witnesses stated that they saw a suspicious person hanging
        around the back or side of the building that day. Both identified
        this person as someone who NEVER was seen before. Yet this testimony
        was never brought up by the prosecution or as evidence 18 years ago.

        3. Mike's mother, neighbors, and his 4 year old daughter stated and
        remember that day vividly testifying that Mike was home all day and
        at the time of the murder.

        4. The original coroners report claimed that there was only one
        bullet fired and that nothing else was found at the scene ( the comic
        shop) yet when Mike's current Defense Attorney and former MI
        prosecutor for that District at that time, looked at the 18 year old
        file, low and behold there was the investigators statement claiming
        they found additional bullets lodged in the wall of the stock room
        and else ware.
        Yet the prosecution claimed there was no sign of a robbery or break
        in and that it was strictly a one shot execution style hit.

        This statement alone contradicts the news report. By the way, the
        cheif at the time was none other than the current prosecutors DAD!
        Like incompetent FatherÂ… like son.

        5. Then enters stage LEFT this comic book buyer who claims he was a
        regular customer of Mike and Renee's (though none seem to recall him
        hanging out as he has claimed) testifying that several years after
        the murder he could positively identify and knows that the comics
        that were claimed stolen from Comics World the night of the murder
        were the same ones that Mike sold on Ebay years later. WOW this clown
        must be a psychic Superhero as he has such amazing powers that he can
        identify one single copy out of thousands that are sold on the market
        everyday in this industry. Another of this Prosecutors ROCK SOLID
        EVIDENCE EXHIBITS.

        6. None of the Detectives that investigated the Murder at the time
        ever checked Mike for gun shot residue, never found a murder weapon.

        7. The DA prosecutor provides former friends of Barbara as witnesses
        (just a wee bit of conflict of interest) to testify that Barbara and
        Mike were arguing all the time.

        8. The DA Prosecutor brings forth a new witness, a former employer of
        an adjacent business who testifies that she "clearly" remembers that
        Mike and Barbara were arguing July 13 and that their tone of voice
        was more elevated than prior arguments that she eves dropped upon.
        This coming from a person who was never questioned nor felt her
        amazing memory was important 18 years ago.....yet this is the DA's
        ACE in the hole!!

        Now think people, just for a moment lets pretend we actually have a
        TRUE fair and constitutionally run system of Justice and we are not
        being tried in GITMO shall we. A person is supposed to be "INOCENT"
        until proven guilty. The evidence must be more than circumstantial
        and give reasonable persons the ability to remove any doubt that
        there may be another explanation. The Juror is supposed to not allow
        character, emotional or personal beliefs cloud the factual evaluation
        of the evidence before them.

        Then we wake up today.... the real world and a real jury in ass
        backward MI, where 8 women and 4 men listen to the soap opera that
        this DA performs for them...It goes something like this:

        Wife cheating adulterer having an affair with hired help plots to
        kill wife, pretend that it was a break in, collect the insurance
        money and then skip the state to go live in PA.... Well folks whether
        Mike did cheat on his former wife or not, whether he did fall in love
        with Renee or not, is "irrelevant" to the issue of guilty or innocent
        of whether Mike George killed his wife with a gun, period. Ah but
        then I forget we don't live in a country where true fair and
        equitable justice is served.

        How the heck can anyone in their right mind have come up with a
        guilty verdict more over 1st degree Murder No less based on this pile
        of hear-say.

        We live in a country that is ruled by elitists and fascists that
        defecate on our constitution and bill of rights and more important
        and more powerful than all of those demons is the John Q Public.
        These are the most egregious who would sit on a jury and allow
        themselves to be entertained by the DA's award winning performance
        for Dateline NBC and loose all sense of reality and destroy a man and
        his family with a guilty verdict, just because it "sounds" like a
        plausible course of action.

        Be warned all of you married couple, who GOD forbid, argue a little
        to loud so that your nosebag neighbor over hears, Someday you to may
        be the unfortunate victim of a break in or hit and 18 years later
        there may be the same overzealous DA looking to make a name for
        himself. You may just be the next Dateline NBC movie of the week.

        Disgusted...with society

        P.S. We "WILL" be attending PCC this April and "WILL" continue to
        fight and support Mike and Renee George until someone actually
        provides a shred of proof that he is guilty.

        Ed Beard Jr.
      • norvandell
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
          Ed brings up a lot of interesting points, and for those, I feel that
          with a stronger defence strategy, Mike will win out on appeal.

          I still can't get over the the DA in this case. Remember what
          happened in the Duke rape case?, someone sounds like they're trying
          to make a name for themselves in the courts, at the expence of a good
          man.

          Who cares about Mikes personal life, I don't. He has only ever been
          good to me, as Renee has also. I don't judge a person on the past,
          only what they show me in the present.

          As a guest, and as I stated before, as long as the show goes on, I'll
          be there. I think it should go on.

          I'll see you there Ed.

          Tod Allen Smith
          Altoona Pa.

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Beard Jr."
          <artofedbeard@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > themselves to be entertained by the DA's award winning performance
          > for Dateline NBC and loose all sense of reality and destroy a man
          and
          > his family with a guilty verdict, just because it "sounds" like a
          > plausible course of action.
          >
          > Be warned all of you married couple, who GOD forbid, argue a little
          > to loud so that your nosebag neighbor over hears, Someday you to
          may
          > be the unfortunate victim of a break in or hit and 18 years later
          > there may be the same overzealous DA looking to make a name for
          > himself. You may just be the next Dateline NBC movie of the week.
          >
          > Disgusted...with society
          >

          > P.S. We "WILL" be attending PCC this April and "WILL" continue to
          > fight and support Mike and Renee George until someone actually
          > provides a shred of proof that he is guilty.

        • Jim Balent Studios
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
            Ditto!

            <artofedbeard@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
            > themselves to be entertained by the DA's award winning performance
            > for Dateline NBC and loose all sense of reality and destroy a man
            and
            > his family with a guilty verdict, just because it "sounds" like a
            > plausible course of action.
            >
            > Be warned all of you married couple, who GOD forbid, argue a little
            > to loud so that your nosebag neighbor over hears, Someday you to
            may
            > be the unfortunate victim of a break in or hit and 18 years later
            > there may be the same overzealous DA looking to make a name for
            > himself. You may just be the next Dateline NBC movie of the week.
            >
            > Disgusted... with society
            >

            > P.S. We "WILL" be attending PCC this April and "WILL" continue to
            > fight and support Mike and Renee George until someone actually
            > provides a shred of proof that he is guilty.

          • Ed Beard Jr.
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
              I just got this e-mailed to me from the GBG forum:

              It outlines a few more of the "DA'S" "Star" witnesses...?

              More of the same style National Inquire style tall tales that can't
              be backed up with proof. All hear-say

              CBG Forum Posted by Brent
              Frankenhoff
              Snip>: Key to the
              prosecution's case was the testimony of witness <b>Michael Renaud</b>
              who said
              he called the Georges' store the evening of the murder at
              approximately 5:30
              p.m. and Michael George answered the phone, which contradicted
              George's alibi of
              being asleep at his mother's home at the time. "He answered the
              phone, that was
              his fatal mistake," Kaplan said.

              YEAH I PERSON WHO WAS NEVER INTERVIEWED 18 YEARS AGO YET NOW SEEMS
              TO REMEMBER THAT HE CALLED THIS COMIC STORE , HE REMEMBERS THE EXACT
              TIME AND REMEMBERS THAT IT WAS MICHAEL'S VOICE??? ANOTHER GENIUS
              WITTNESS WITH AN IDIOT SAVANTS MEMORY. HOORAY FOR THE DA!

              tional testimony of <b>Barbee Hancock-Kalbfleisch</b>, who said that
              when she
              came to the store about the same time, she found the door locked,
              while Barbara
              was out ordering food for the surprise birthday party she was
              planning for
              Michael later that evening.

              WHAT ON EARTH DOES THSAT PROVE?

              testify in his own defense also helped clinch the verdict. "A
              defendant's
              decision not to testify is generally harmful to the defense,

              THIS WAS THE WORST THING MICHAELS ATTORNEY COULD HAVE EVER ADVISED
              HIM TO DO?? i AGREE WITH Kaplan ON THIS ONE!
            • Will Crites
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
                I see him winning out on an appeal.

                Will