Verdict is in for Michael George murder trial

  • qrychepgh
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008
      Monday, March 17, 2008
      Alleged comic-book killer found guilty
      Edward L. Cardenas / The Detroit News

      MOUNT CLEMENS -- A jury today found Michael George guilty of shooting
      his wife 17 years ago in the back room of a comic book store they
      owned together.

      George was accused of shooting his wife, Barbara, in the head on July
      13, 1990, and making the crime look like a robbery. The jury found
      George guilty of first-degree murder, felony firearm, insurance fraud
      and obtaining money from an insurance agency under false pretenses.

      The four-man and eight-woman jury began deliberations Friday
      afternoon after listening to the testimony of nearly 50 witnesses in
      the trial that drew national media attention.

      Defense attorney Carl Marlinga rested his case Thursday after calling
      12 witnesses, including George's mother, who testified her son was at
      her Hazel Park home on the evening of Barbara George's murder.

      Neither Michael George nor his current wife -- with whom he was
      having an affair with at the time of the murder -- took the stand in
      the trial.

      The case was reopened in late 2006 by Clinton Township police with
      charges brought against Michael George in August.

      Prosecutors allege that George left the comics shop with his two
      young daughters the night of the murder, and drove to his mother's
      house in Hazel Park to drop the children off to spend the night.

      While George's mother and daughters went to a nearby park,
      prosecutors say George drove back to the store, shot his wife and
      then returned to the Hazel Park house before his children and mother
      returned.

      Macomb Assistant Prosecutor Steve Kaplan said George could be placed
      at the store by a customer's phone call to the store at 5:30 p.m. on
      the day of the killing. The customer said he spoke to George at a
      time he supposedly was at his mother's house.

      Kaplan alleged that the then 30-year-old George shot his wife because
      of "greed, sex and power." Kaplan said George schemed to collect
      nearly $130,000 in insurance money, take control of the comic book
      shop, and continue his affair with a store employee.

      Defense attorneys for George contended that he was at his mother's
      house the entire time of the crime.
    • norvandell
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008
        My good news about working on Star Wars, is now not so important. We
        still hope for the best for Michael and his family, and I for one
        will still attend the con.

        Mike was always good to me.

        Tod Smith
        Altoona Pa.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "qrychepgh" <qrychepgh@...>
        wrote:

        > Monday, March 17, 2008
        > Alleged comic-book killer found guilty
        > Edward L. Cardenas / The Detroit News
        >
        > MOUNT CLEMENS -- A jury today found Michael George guilty of
        shooting
        > his wife 17 years ago in the back room of a comic book store they
        > owned together.
        >
        > George was accused of shooting his wife, Barbara, in the head on
        July
        > 13, 1990, and making the crime look like a robbery. The jury found
        > George guilty of first-degree murder, felony firearm, insurance
        fraud
        > and obtaining money from an insurance agency under false pretenses.
        >
        > The four-man and eight-woman jury began deliberations Friday
        > afternoon after listening to the testimony of nearly 50 witnesses
        in
        > the trial that drew national media attention.
        >
        > Defense attorney Carl Marlinga rested his case Thursday after
        calling
        > 12 witnesses, including George's mother, who testified her son was
        at
        > her Hazel Park home on the evening of Barbara George's murder.
        >
        > Neither Michael George nor his current wife -- with whom he was
        > having an affair with at the time of the murder -- took the stand
        in
        > the trial.
        >
        > The case was reopened in late 2006 by Clinton Township police with
        > charges brought against Michael George in August.
        >
        > Prosecutors allege that George left the comics shop with his two
        > young daughters the night of the murder, and drove to his mother's
        > house in Hazel Park to drop the children off to spend the night.
        >
        > While George's mother and daughters went to a nearby park,
        > prosecutors say George drove back to the store, shot his wife and
        > then returned to the Hazel Park house before his children and
        mother
        > returned.
        >
        > Macomb Assistant Prosecutor Steve Kaplan said George could be
        placed
        > at the store by a customer's phone call to the store at 5:30 p.m.
        on
        > the day of the killing. The customer said he spoke to George at a
        > time he supposedly was at his mother's house.
        >
        > Kaplan alleged that the then 30-year-old George shot his wife
        because
        > of "greed, sex and power." Kaplan said George schemed to collect
        > nearly $130,000 in insurance money, take control of the comic book
        > shop, and continue his affair with a store employee.
        >
        > Defense attorneys for George contended that he was at his mother's
        > house the entire time of the crime.

      • Lisa Davis
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008
          Wow.....This is really sad news.  I was hoping that they would find him not guilty!  I'll still attend the Convention and do my costuming as planned.   I also send my best wishes for Michael and his family and hope that God will watch over them!
          ~Spidergirl

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008

            I am curious as to if any of the guests pull out because of this news. If they are thinking about it, I hope they remember that they make the con, not him.

            wrote:

            > Monday, March 17, 2008
            > Alleged comic-book killer found guilty
            > Edward L. Cardenas / The Detroit News
            >
            > MOUNT CLEMENS -- A jury today found Michael George guilty of
            shooting
            > his wife 17 years ago in the back room of a comic book store they
            > owned together.
            >
            > George was accused of shooting his wife, Barbara, in the head on
            July
            > 13, 1990, and making the crime look like a robbery. The jury found
            > George guilty of first-degree murder, felony firearm, insurance
            fraud
            > and obtaining money from an insurance agency under false pretenses.
            >
            > The four-man and eight-woman jury began deliberations Friday
            > afternoon after listening to the testimony of nearly 50 witnesses
            in
            > the trial that drew national media attention.
            >
            > Defense attorney Carl Marlinga rested his case Thursday after
            calling
            > 12 witnesses, including George's mother, who testified her son was
            at
            > her Hazel Park home on the evening of Barbara George's murder.
            >
            > Neither Michael George nor his current wife -- with whom he was
            > having an affair with at the time of the murder -- took the stand
            in
            > the trial.
            >
            > The case was reopened in late 2006 by Clinton Township police with
            > charges brought against Michael George in August.
            >
            > Prosecutors allege that George left the comics shop with his two
            > young daughters the night of the murder, and drove to his mother's
            > house in Hazel Park to drop the children off to spend the night.
            >
            > While George's mother and daughters went to a nearby park,
            > prosecutors say George drove back to the store, shot his wife and
            > then returned to the Hazel Park house before his children and
            mother
            > returned.
            >
            > Macomb Assistant Prosecutor Steve Kaplan said George could be
            placed
            > at the store by a customer's phone call to the store at 5:30 p.m.
            on
            > the day of the killing. The customer said he spoke to George at a
            > time he supposedly was at his mother's house.
            >
            > Kaplan alleged that the then 30-year-old George shot his wife
            because
            > of "greed, sex and power." Kaplan said George schemed to collect
            > nearly $130,000 in insurance money, take control of the comic book
            > shop, and continue his affair with a store employee.
            >
            > Defense attorneys for George contended that he was at his mother's
            > house the entire time of the crime.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • batmiteforever
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008
              My heart goes out to everyone involved in this mess. I read daily the
              Michigan papers and am shocked at the outcome. I will support the
              family and the show anyway I can, If your a con guest, fan or friend
              of the George family now more than ever show your support be there in
              April.
              Brian from Pittsburgh.....
              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Davis <lisad_2711@...>
              wrote:

              > Wow.....This is really sad news. I was hoping that they would find
              him not guilty! I'll still attend the Convention and do my costuming
              as planned. I also send my best wishes for Michael and his family
              and hope that God will watch over them!
              > ~Spidergirl

              align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              > font-weight:bold;}
              > #ygrp-vital a{
              > text-decoration:none;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              > text-decoration:underline;}
              >
              > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              > padding:8px 0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              size:100%;line-height:122%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              > text-decoration:none;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              > text-decoration:underline;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              > margin:0;}
              > o{font-size:0;}
              > .MsoNormal{
              > margin:0 0 0 0;}
              > #ygrp-text tt{
              > font-size:120%;}
              > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              > .replbq{margin:4;}
              > -->

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Ed Beard Jr.
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008
                Hey folks,

                Fantasy Artist Ed Beard Jr here. I just signed up as a member ( to
                think I have been a guest at Pittsburgh for 15 years and never joined
                here??)

                Be warned this is a long RANT. Please excuse the spelling,
                punctuation etc. it's late and this is just a casual forum so please
                focus or debate the content and not the grammar.
                -Thanks

                My wife Kelly and I have known Mike and Renee and their children
                since 1992. Our kids are about the same age and we have personally
                backed every thing they have ever done in this industry. Mike and
                Renee are the reason that PCC is what it is today. NO promoter has
                ever treated their guest artists as good as Mike and Renee. No One
                has been as great a support to needy kids via Make-A-Wish. No One has
                been so generous to the CBLDF and the genre in general.

                On a personal level Mike and Renee are outstanding citizens of Winbur
                PA with Mike's community involvement with children second to none.

                Now lets say my wife and I pretend that we have never met Mike and
                Renee before and since last August we read in the papers, the
                theatrical headlines portraying a Murderous adulterer, who killed his
                wife to collect insurance money and sweep his mistress off to PA from
                MI some 18 years ago....? This might just make us think we was
                hearing the Friday night suspense drama on television or the latest
                Star or Inquirer magazine headlines.

                Ah but then None of the accurate facts are presented and only an
                overzealous prosecutors concocted circumstantial evidence is offered
                what then might Jon Q Public think if one did not know the other side
                of the story...hmmm. My guess would be what everyone of those Jurors
                thought, and the general public who has been waiting with bated
                breath for the Dateline NBC movie of the week special on the whole
                ordeal. Guilty!

                Now that the trial is over, I would like to offer that which the news
                media failed to mention. Facts that John Q public has not been privy
                to. These are just a few of the general facts that were suppose to be
                brought out by Mike's defense attorney for the jurors to hear. This
                info was shared in conversations with Mike, Renee and I. I was asked
                not to offer this info until after the trial as it should have
                resulted in this case getting thrown out. I am not sure how much of
                this was covered or allowed to be presented as defense evidence, but
                it should make all of us think hard about the outcome of Mike verdict

                1. Mike NEVER owned or possessed any weapons in his entire life let
                alone used one. The only weapon that were ever transferred to his
                estate for a brief period of time was from his father's death and
                estate which was immediately sold to a legitimate buyer and gun
                owner. This weapon was not even manufactured until years after the
                death of Barbara.

                2. When the murder took place there were several detectives who
                interviewed witnesses that were there that day at the comic shop. Two
                of those witnesses stated that they saw a suspicious person hanging
                around the back or side of the building that day. Both identified
                this person as someone who NEVER was seen before. Yet this testimony
                was never brought up by the prosecution or as evidence 18 years ago.

                3. Mike's mother, neighbors, and his 4 year old daughter stated and
                remember that day vividly testifying that Mike was home all day and
                at the time of the murder.

                4. The original coroners report claimed that there was only one
                bullet fired and that nothing else was found at the scene ( the comic
                shop) yet when Mike's current Defense Attorney and former MI
                prosecutor for that District at that time, looked at the 18 year old
                file, low and behold there was the investigators statement claiming
                they found additional bullets lodged in the wall of the stock room
                and else ware.
                Yet the prosecution claimed there was no sign of a robbery or break
                in and that it was strictly a one shot execution style hit.

                This statement alone contradicts the news report. By the way, the
                cheif at the time was none other than the current prosecutors DAD!
                Like incompetent FatherÂ… like son.

                5. Then enters stage LEFT this comic book buyer who claims he was a
                regular customer of Mike and Renee's (though none seem to recall him
                hanging out as he has claimed) testifying that several years after
                the murder he could positively identify and knows that the comics
                that were claimed stolen from Comics World the night of the murder
                were the same ones that Mike sold on Ebay years later. WOW this clown
                must be a psychic Superhero as he has such amazing powers that he can
                identify one single copy out of thousands that are sold on the market
                everyday in this industry. Another of this Prosecutors ROCK SOLID
                EVIDENCE EXHIBITS.

                6. None of the Detectives that investigated the Murder at the time
                ever checked Mike for gun shot residue, never found a murder weapon.

                7. The DA prosecutor provides former friends of Barbara as witnesses
                (just a wee bit of conflict of interest) to testify that Barbara and
                Mike were arguing all the time.

                8. The DA Prosecutor brings forth a new witness, a former employer of
                an adjacent business who testifies that she "clearly" remembers that
                Mike and Barbara were arguing July 13 and that their tone of voice
                was more elevated than prior arguments that she eves dropped upon.
                This coming from a person who was never questioned nor felt her
                amazing memory was important 18 years ago.....yet this is the DA's
                ACE in the hole!!

                Now think people, just for a moment lets pretend we actually have a
                TRUE fair and constitutionally run system of Justice and we are not
                being tried in GITMO shall we. A person is supposed to be "INOCENT"
                until proven guilty. The evidence must be more than circumstantial
                and give reasonable persons the ability to remove any doubt that
                there may be another explanation. The Juror is supposed to not allow
                character, emotional or personal beliefs cloud the factual evaluation
                of the evidence before them.

                Then we wake up today.... the real world and a real jury in ass
                backward MI, where 8 women and 4 men listen to the soap opera that
                this DA performs for them...It goes something like this:

                Wife cheating adulterer having an affair with hired help plots to
                kill wife, pretend that it was a break in, collect the insurance
                money and then skip the state to go live in PA.... Well folks whether
                Mike did cheat on his former wife or not, whether he did fall in love
                with Renee or not, is "irrelevant" to the issue of guilty or innocent
                of whether Mike George killed his wife with a gun, period. Ah but
                then I forget we don't live in a country where true fair and
                equitable justice is served.

                How the heck can anyone in their right mind have come up with a
                guilty verdict more over 1st degree Murder No less based on this pile
                of hear-say.

                We live in a country that is ruled by elitists and fascists that
                defecate on our constitution and bill of rights and more important
                and more powerful than all of those demons is the John Q Public.
                These are the most egregious who would sit on a jury and allow
                themselves to be entertained by the DA's award winning performance
                for Dateline NBC and loose all sense of reality and destroy a man and
                his family with a guilty verdict, just because it "sounds" like a
                plausible course of action.

                Be warned all of you married couple, who GOD forbid, argue a little
                to loud so that your nosebag neighbor over hears, Someday you to may
                be the unfortunate victim of a break in or hit and 18 years later
                there may be the same overzealous DA looking to make a name for
                himself. You may just be the next Dateline NBC movie of the week.

                Disgusted...with society

                P.S. We "WILL" be attending PCC this April and "WILL" continue to
                fight and support Mike and Renee George until someone actually
                provides a shred of proof that he is guilty.

                Ed Beard Jr.
              • norvandell
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
                  Ed brings up a lot of interesting points, and for those, I feel that
                  with a stronger defence strategy, Mike will win out on appeal.

                  I still can't get over the the DA in this case. Remember what
                  happened in the Duke rape case?, someone sounds like they're trying
                  to make a name for themselves in the courts, at the expence of a good
                  man.

                  Who cares about Mikes personal life, I don't. He has only ever been
                  good to me, as Renee has also. I don't judge a person on the past,
                  only what they show me in the present.

                  As a guest, and as I stated before, as long as the show goes on, I'll
                  be there. I think it should go on.

                  I'll see you there Ed.

                  Tod Allen Smith
                  Altoona Pa.

                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Beard Jr."
                  <artofedbeard@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > themselves to be entertained by the DA's award winning performance
                  > for Dateline NBC and loose all sense of reality and destroy a man
                  and
                  > his family with a guilty verdict, just because it "sounds" like a
                  > plausible course of action.
                  >
                  > Be warned all of you married couple, who GOD forbid, argue a little
                  > to loud so that your nosebag neighbor over hears, Someday you to
                  may
                  > be the unfortunate victim of a break in or hit and 18 years later
                  > there may be the same overzealous DA looking to make a name for
                  > himself. You may just be the next Dateline NBC movie of the week.
                  >
                  > Disgusted...with society
                  >

                  > P.S. We "WILL" be attending PCC this April and "WILL" continue to
                  > fight and support Mike and Renee George until someone actually
                  > provides a shred of proof that he is guilty.

                • Jim Balent Studios
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
                    Ditto!

                    <artofedbeard@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > themselves to be entertained by the DA's award winning performance
                    > for Dateline NBC and loose all sense of reality and destroy a man
                    and
                    > his family with a guilty verdict, just because it "sounds" like a
                    > plausible course of action.
                    >
                    > Be warned all of you married couple, who GOD forbid, argue a little
                    > to loud so that your nosebag neighbor over hears, Someday you to
                    may
                    > be the unfortunate victim of a break in or hit and 18 years later
                    > there may be the same overzealous DA looking to make a name for
                    > himself. You may just be the next Dateline NBC movie of the week.
                    >
                    > Disgusted... with society
                    >

                    > P.S. We "WILL" be attending PCC this April and "WILL" continue to
                    > fight and support Mike and Renee George until someone actually
                    > provides a shred of proof that he is guilty.

                  • Ed Beard Jr.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
                      I just got this e-mailed to me from the GBG forum:

                      It outlines a few more of the "DA'S" "Star" witnesses...?

                      More of the same style National Inquire style tall tales that can't
                      be backed up with proof. All hear-say

                      CBG Forum Posted by Brent
                      Frankenhoff
                      Snip>: Key to the
                      prosecution's case was the testimony of witness <b>Michael Renaud</b>
                      who said
                      he called the Georges' store the evening of the murder at
                      approximately 5:30
                      p.m. and Michael George answered the phone, which contradicted
                      George's alibi of
                      being asleep at his mother's home at the time. "He answered the
                      phone, that was
                      his fatal mistake," Kaplan said.

                      YEAH I PERSON WHO WAS NEVER INTERVIEWED 18 YEARS AGO YET NOW SEEMS
                      TO REMEMBER THAT HE CALLED THIS COMIC STORE , HE REMEMBERS THE EXACT
                      TIME AND REMEMBERS THAT IT WAS MICHAEL'S VOICE??? ANOTHER GENIUS
                      WITTNESS WITH AN IDIOT SAVANTS MEMORY. HOORAY FOR THE DA!

                      tional testimony of <b>Barbee Hancock-Kalbfleisch</b>, who said that
                      when she
                      came to the store about the same time, she found the door locked,
                      while Barbara
                      was out ordering food for the surprise birthday party she was
                      planning for
                      Michael later that evening.

                      WHAT ON EARTH DOES THSAT PROVE?

                      testify in his own defense also helped clinch the verdict. "A
                      defendant's
                      decision not to testify is generally harmful to the defense,

                      THIS WAS THE WORST THING MICHAELS ATTORNEY COULD HAVE EVER ADVISED
                      HIM TO DO?? i AGREE WITH Kaplan ON THIS ONE!
                    • Will Crites
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
                        I see him winning out on an appeal.

                        Will