Re: [pittscomicon] My view on the con.

  • Donald Hargnett
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
      Thanks to everyone who responded and shared their thoughts
      intelligently. And now for batmite.,,,

      Quote batmite "Hey here is an idea don't go"
      Here's another idea, read my post, particularly the part where I said
      I'm not going.

      Quote batmite"try and compare the two you must be smoking something you
      should pass around"
      I never compared the two. I go to Steelcity as well, but it's a toy
      show with very few comic vendors.

      Quote batmite "Are those people driving or flying in for the bargins or
      is it because of a guest or an artist they want to meet"
      I don't know, that's why I asked instead of assuming everyone's reason
      for going is the same as mine.

      Quote batmite ".If there was a separte charge for artist alley and
      Frank Cho came back would you complain that you had to pay to meet one
      guy?"
      No. Mentioning Franks was more to illustrate that in all the times
      I've gone to the Con, there's only been one guest I've wanted to meet
      and the guests are not a motivation for attending.

      Quote batmite " all the vendors that do show up at the Con to sell you
      stuff come from different states, so why come to the Burgh"
      To sell stuff. Would they sell more if there were more people
      attending because it is cheaper to get in? Seems a large number of
      them stopped attending so we have multiple DVD tables and water
      proofers.

    • batmiteforever
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
        Ditto to everything you said, and thanks for coming back to the BURGH!
        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "norvandell" <BIG_BOOTE@...>
        wrote:

        > I go to the con as a guest artist every year, and over the
        years,
        > I have noticed from time to time, the lack of certain guests and
        > sometimes fewer vendors.
        >
        > Thing is, some of those vendors, have bought mulitple spaces and
        > have expanded from years prior, to try to sell more. As for the
        > guests, yes there are other cons who get bigger guests and more of
        > them, but there is a cost in getting them to come to the show.
        >
        > Its hard when some of the "Wizard" shows try everything in their
        > power to out trump the smaller cons in getting guests, which is
        > difficult, when you as an organizer, have to go to many of those
        > above cons the year before to try to invite guests to your show the
        > following year.
        >
        > I saw Renee in Baltimore this past Sept., doing this very same
        > thing, talking to guests and vendors to come out to a show thats
        not
        > as big as SD or a Chicago or New York. The bigger cons do have
        bigger
        > budgets to help with bringing in the big names from the mecca of
        > comic artists, California and New York.
        >
        > Tan was at the Pitt show back a few years ago, and since then,
        > Wizard, has taken over some of the cons across the country, and
        > turned them from a more traditional comic con, to more of a multi-
        > media event.
        >
        > I attended the first show Wizard did in Chicago, and while it
        was
        > big, Pitt was much more relaxed. These bigger cons, have had to
        rely
        > on the multi-media aspect to bring in the people, while Pitt has
        been
        > able to keep the show more traditional and artist friendly, and the
        > same high quality.
        >
        > The Georges have brought in wrestlers and actors over the
        years,
        > but have also managed to have keep it to what I think a show should
        > be. I do want more vendors, so there is a better selection of
        > goodies, and I'm sure that the show will grow with time. Its still
        > young con in comparison.
        >
        > Something that most people don't realize, is that other con
        > organizers come to Pitt every year to see how a good show is run,
        and
        > take that back to their show. Some of the best shows you'll ever go
        > to, will be like Pitt. Its when the show goes coporate, and turns
        > into a Wizard con, that I'll stop going.
        >
        > Sure, save your money for SD, and spend about a half years wage
        > too. Its MORE money to get in, to sleep in a hotel and eat, and
        > you'll wait hours in line to get Jim Lee's autograph, only to find
        > out he went home hours ago.
        >
        > If it weren't for the arists, would there even be a show?
        >
        > Tod Allen Smith
        > 2008 guest
        > from Altoona Pa.

      • batmiteforever
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
          Hey your welcome it was the least I could do, Clearly you love the
          show!--- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Donald Hargnett
          <donaldbain@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > goodies, and I'm sure that the show will grow with time. Its
          still a
          > > young con in comparison.
          > >
          > > Something that most people don't realize, is that other con
          > > organizers come to Pitt every year to see how a good show is
          run, and
          > > take that back to their show. Some of the best shows you'll ever
          go
          > > to, will be like Pitt. Its when the show goes coporate, and turns
          > > into a Wizard con, that I'll stop going.
          > >
          > > Sure, save your money for SD, and spend about a half years wage
          > > too. Its MORE money to get in, to sleep in a hotel and eat, and
          > > you'll wait hours in line to get Jim Lee's autograph, only to
          find
          > > out he went home hours ago.
          > >
          > > If it weren't for the arists, would there even be a show?

        • Jim Balent Studios

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
              cupcake anyone?