Re: Comicon Update

  • batmiteforever
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
      OK heres the thing.... all the vendors that do show up at the Con to
      sell you stuff come from different states, so why come to the Burgh?
      Because they know a couple thousand people from all over will be
      there. Are those people driving or flying in for the bargins or is it
      because of a guest or an artist they want to meet? Come on man you
      know the answer to that, if it wasnt for the guests would I drive to
      Baltimore from PA for a comic show? NO.....If there was a separte
      charge for artist alley and Frank Cho came back would you complain
      that you had to pay to meet one guy? Or would you be suggesting pay
      for each guest you want to meet? --- In
      pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, DUGGER <dugger_rockz@...> wrote:

      > GEEZ people, youre taking the posting to hard. save your money, go
      to san diego. every other con pails in comparison

      Steel city con with its one or
      > two artists and if your lucky maybe someone who was in a Star Wars
      > movie for half a second. Thats not a knock on Steel city I go to
      both
      > shows but to try and compare the two you must be smoking something
      > you should pass around. Steel city guest wise is no where near PGH
      > Con, so I'm sure the overhead cost is a lot less. Yeah it hurts
      > paying 18 bucks to get in but to me the trade off out ways that
      cost.
      > I'm the other end of the spectrum I collect artwork and enjoy
      meeting
      > the people who create the books and characters I enjoy. There is a
      > thrill in discovering a self published book that is actually
      better
      > than what the main steam companies churn out. If I was only there
      for
      > the dollar bins I probably would stay home or surf ebay. So you
      save
      > your $18.00 bucks and I'll tell Jim, Holly and the people who put
      on
      > the show thanks!
      > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com,Donald Hargnett
      > <donaldbain@ ...> wrote:
      > >
      > > That's nice but how about taking $8 off the entry price? How
      about
      > > charging that $8 to get into the artist area? How about getting
      > new
      > > vendors so we don't have 5 tables of bootleg DVDs and a guy
      selling
      > > basement water proofing?
      > >
      > > There's too much emphasis on the artist alley and guests and not
      > enough
      > > on the vendors. I go to find stuff I can't get at the local
      shop
      > and
      > > dig through the bargain bins. The only artist I ever went to
      see
      > was
      > > Frank Cho and he hasn't been a guest in years. If the guests
      are
      > such
      > > a draw then the fee to see them won't be an issue and it'll draw
      > more
      > > people, like me, who want to just browse the dealer area.
      > >
      > > I've gone to every Con so far. This will be the first one I've
      > missed
      > > and it's due to the over inflated entry fee and lack of new
      > sellers.
      > > Does anyone else feel this way or and I the Lone Ranger here?
      > >
      > > Donald
      > >

      > > > :
      > > >
      > > > • How about Battlestar Galactica's Chief Tyrol, Aaron Douglas
      > > > appearing for the first time in Pittsburgh?
      > > >
      > > > • and How about Ghost Hunter International' s Brian Harnios?
      > > >
      > > > • Lastly from the media guest category, we have: "Fighting
      Crime
      > > > One-Donut at a Time", Who Wants to Be A Superhero's Fat Momma;
      > > >
      > > > We have also added 40+ others guests from throughout the
      comics
      > > > industry.
      > > >
      > > > Two guests that made it just a smidge too late to be
      includedin
      > the
      > > > flyer, include:
      > > >
      > > > • Writer of Guy Gardner, Wyonna Earp and the new 24:Cold
      Warriors

      ______________

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
        Im pretty sure thats not directed at me. I go to many cons, for several reasons. PCC is decent, Ive had better luck elsewhere as far as filling gaps in my collection. As far as guests, again PCC is ok, Philly, New York, San Diego especially has more to offer. My only  dissapointment with the PCC is that  the same guests every year, My point about the Steel City Con, they may only get one or 2 artists, but they are different. Hell last time Billy Tan was there and he told me he didnt see himself coming to the PCC, didnt give me a reason either.
         Im still goin to the PCC, I like it alot, but the last few years in my mind have been lackluster as far as guests.

        ____________ __
        > Be a better friend, newshound, and

      • Jim Balent Studios
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
          if it helps any
          we do bring our comics-TPB-art prints-artbooks-special con pin up books
          and for the 1st time Candles!
          so maybe that will be a bit exciting-since i know some of our issues are a bit rare!

          sjharvey9@... wrote:

          In a message dated 3/1/2008 12:51:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, donaldbain@alltel. net writes:
          I've gone to every Con so far.  This will be the first one I've missed
          and  it's due to the over inflated entry fee and lack of new sellers.
          Does anyone else feel this way or and I the Lone Ranger here?

          I sort of agree. I'll still go to the Comicon this year, but, nothing against all of the artists that they have at the Con, I know they have to make a living just like the rest of us, but there did used to be a lot more comics vendors in the past. Maybe they should charge a separate fee to see the artists. Like I said, I'll still be going this year. I can't ever imagine missing it since I've been going for at least the last 10 years.

          --- SCOTT

        • Jim Balent Studios
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
            pretty sure Amy will be there!
            :Hugging Will:

            Will Crites wrote:

            >I'd love to go to San Diego, but thats not in my foreseeable future. But I
            >go to the PCC for the artists *hi Jim, hi Holly*. I always find comics for
            >my collection for a fairly cheap price. Besides Jim and Holly I'm hoping Amy
            >Lynn Best will be there. So the $18 is no big deal to me. Oh and this year
            >my daughter is going with me. We'll be there on Sunday in costume, I'll be
            >Tatewki Kuno (Ranma 1/2) and she'll be Sakura Haruno (Naruto).
            >
            >Will
            >
            >DUGGER wrote:
            >
            >GEEZ people, youre taking the posting to hard. save your money, go to san
            >diego. every other con pails in comparison
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jim Balent Studios
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
              mmm should we take this personally...
              humph-and I bought a bunch of cute outfits!
              and hats 2!
              H :-P

              ____________ __
              > Be a better friend, newshound, and

            • Maya
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
> [...]
                > hope everyone has enough fun for me to!
                > -Bart
                >

                > In a message dated 2/29/2008 5:49:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > patlqp@... writes:
                >

                > Hello folks, the Comicon website will be updated in the next week
                but
                > here is a copy of the email update that will soon be going out as a
                > preview of what you can expect!!!!!
                >
                > ------------------------------
                >
                > Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls and all the ships at sea,
                >
                > It's time for another Comicon Update.
                >
                > Sorry it's been awhile since my last update, but we've been
                finishing
                > up on the Convention Newspaper. You should be receiving yours any
                day
                > now.
                > If you aren't on the mailing list don't hesitate to email your
                mailing
                > address to: _pcomicon@..._ (mailto:pcomicon@...) and
                > we'll get you added right away.
                >
                > So what new guests can you expect:
                >
                > • How about Battlestar Galactica's Chief Tyrol, Aaron Douglas
                > appearing for the first time in Pittsburgh?
                >
                > • and How about Ghost Hunter International'• and How abou
                >
                > • Lastly from the media guest category, we have: "Fighting Crime
                > One-Donut at a Time", Who Wants to Be A Superhero's Fat Momma;
                >
                > We have also added 40+ others guests from throughout the comics
                industry.

                > Two guests that made it just a smidge too late to be included in
                the
                > flyer, include:
                >
                > • Writer of Guy Gardner, Wyonna Earp and the new 24:Cold Warriors
                > Graphic Novel, comic's toughman, Beau Smith
                >
                > and classic actor from many Ed Wood productions and various horror
                > films, Conrad Brooks.
                >
                > We have also just added our events schedule, a partial gaming
                schedule
                > and new auction stuff;
                >
                > You can check it all out at www.pittsburghcomicYou ca
                >
                > We do have two cancellations to announce: We regret that scheduling
                > changes will preclude Ken Foree and Brian Pulido from making it
                > Pittsburgh Comicon 2008, but we hope to see them again in coming
                years.

                > That's it for now but you can count on more exciting stuff coming
                up,

                > ...........and the show goes on!!
                >
                > Patrick Thomas
                > Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon
                >
                > Pittsburgh Comicon
                > April 25, 26, 27, 2008
                > Pittsburgh Expomart - Monroeville, PA
                > www.pittsburghcomicwww.pi
                > _pcomicon@..._ (mailto:pcomicon@...)
                > 1002 Graham Ave.
                > Windber, PA 15963
                > 814-467-4116
                > 814-467-4416
                >
                > ----------------------
                >
                > So once the update is up you go can check out all the new goodies,
                but
                > I'm always glad to make the fanboard, the first in the know.

                Living.
                > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-
                campos-duffy/
                > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

              • Maya
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Will Crites"
                  <megacitytours@...> wrote:
                  >Finally, I'm glad to see someone talking about costumes, It took me
                  a half hour to read all these messages.
                  So Let change the SUBJECT of the price and Go to why you really
                  want to go to the PCC?
                  For me..... It's the costumes and costumers. I too will be at the PCC
                  with my daughter, she want to be Batgirl, and I want her to be Little
                  Washu(from Techi). And I'm working on a two Anime costume for myself:
                  Aisha Clan clan (from The OutLaw Star) and Yoruichi (from Bleach).
                  And my bff is going to be Amane Misa (from Death Note). In the near
                  future I should be finished with (Vixen) and my bff is going to be
                  Black Canary. So
                  I planning to have Fun!!!!!!!!
                  Who want to go there to have fun. I'll see you there!

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                    I'll be interviewing the cosplayers
                    be prepared!

                    <megacitytours@ ...> wrote:
                    >Finally, I'm glad to see someone talking about costumes, It took me
                    a half hour to read all these messages.
                    So Let change the SUBJECT of the price and Go to why you really
                    want to go to the PCC?
                    For me..... It's the costumes and costumers. I too will be at the PCC
                    with my daughter, she want to be Batgirl, and I want her to be Little
                    Washu(from Techi). And I'm working on a two Anime costume for myself:
                    Aisha Clan clan (from The OutLaw Star) and Yoruichi (from Bleach).
                    And my bff is going to be Amane Misa (from Death Note). In the near
                    future I should be finished with (Vixen) and my bff is going to be
                    Black Canary. So
                    I planning to have Fun!!!!!!!!
                    Who want to go there to have fun. I'll see you there!
                    > I'd love to go to San Diego, but thats not in my foreseeable
                    future. But I
                    > go to the PCC for the artists *hi Jim, hi Holly*. I always find
                    comics for
                    > my collection for a fairly cheap price. Besides Jim and Holly I'm
                    hoping Amy
                    > Lynn Best will be there. So the $18 is no big deal to me. Oh and
                    this year
                    > my daughter is going with me. We'll be there on Sunday in costume,
                    I'll be
                    > Tatewki Kuno (Ranma 1/2) and she'll be Sakura Haruno (Naruto).
                    >
                    > Will
                    >
                    > DUGGER wrote:
                    >
                    > GEEZ people, youre taking the posting to hard. save your money, go
                    to san
                    > diego. every other con pails in comparison

                  • Will Crites
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Maya hit it on the head. Why go to the PCC, to have fun. Me and my daughter
                      are going to Otakon in August. Shes going as a pokemon and I'll going as
                      Ganju Shiba from Bleach. Maybe all the costumers on the list could meet up
                      before the con begins.

                      Will

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                        An added incentive for going. Can't wait to see you there.

                        Will

                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                          I really been wanting to meet Amy since I became part of the Sirens of
                          Cinema Street Team. Ah, Holly, ya got me blushing :)

                          Will

                          Jim Balent Studios wrote:

                          > pretty sure Amy will be there!
                          > :Hugging Will:
                        • Jim Balent Studios

                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                              heehee

                              Jim Balent Studios wrote:

                              pretty sure Amy will be there!
                              :Hugging Will:

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  mailto:pittscomicon-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  mailto:pittscomicon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                NOOOOOOOOOO, but I think you understand what Im saying.

                                ____________ __

                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  heehee

                                  ____________ __
                                  > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                • paul s. brittain
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 4, 2008
                                    I have attended the Pittsburgh Con as both a fan and as a vendor to sell my
                                    books. Considering that this event is independently managed and is not a
                                    "Wizard Con", I don't think you can ask for much more. I have made new
                                    friends and met great star guests in Pittsburgh. Some day I would like to
                                    try the other cons, but for now, I'm content with this one that is within 30
                                    miles of home.

                                    Paul S. Brittain
                                    www.psbpublications.com