Re: [pittscomicon] Comicon Update

  • Lisa Davis
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
      I can understand both sides, like Dugger said!   Um, you said it should be more affordable right?...Yes, I agree that the prices for to get in (like 18 bucks) yeah, that is a lot!   But for them to take it down to like 10 bucks, yeah, some more people would come, but  then they'd be kinda over crowded, I'd think, but I could be wrong.   To be staying at the Radisson for $149.00 bucks a night?....I think you over estimated buddy!   I made my reservations.....and I got the Con rate for $ 99.00 bucks a night!  How the heck did you figure in $149.00 is beyond me!
      I had gone to the Steel City Con.....and besides...there is NO Costuming People there like there are at Pitts!  Just my 2 cents!
      ~Spidergirl

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hey here is an idea don't go. Go to Steel city con with its one or
        two artists and if your lucky maybe someone who was in a Star Wars
        movie for half a second. Thats not a knock on Steel city I go to both
        shows but to try and compare the two you must be smoking something
        you should pass around. Steel city guest wise is no where near PGH
        Con, so I'm sure the overhead cost is a lot less. Yeah it hurts
        paying 18 bucks to get in but to me the trade off out ways that cost.
        I'm the other end of the spectrum I collect artwork and enjoy meeting
        the people who create the books and characters I enjoy. There is a
        thrill in discovering a self published book that is actually better
        than what the main steam companies churn out. If I was only there for
        the dollar bins I probably would stay home or surf ebay. So you save
        your $18.00 bucks and I'll tell Jim, Holly and the people who put on
        the show thanks!
        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Donald Hargnett

        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
          im kinda upset bc ill not be able to make it this year so no snake eyes costume for me. at the end of the month i am getting deployed for about 7 months <reserve duty>.
          hope everyone has enough fun for me to!
          -Bart

          In a message dated 2/29/2008 5:49:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, patlqp@... writes:

          Hello folks, the Comicon website will be updated in the next week but
          here is a copy of the email update that will soon be going out as a
          preview of what you can expect!!!!!

          ------------ --------- ---------

          Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls and all the ships at sea,

          It's time for another Comicon Update.

          Sorry it's been awhile since my last update, but we've been finishing
          up on the Convention Newspaper. You should be receiving yours any day
          now.
          If you aren't on the mailing list don't hesitate to email your mailing
          address to: pcomicon@floodcity. net and we'll get you added right away.

          So what new guests can you expect:

          ------------ --------- -

          So once the update is up you go can check out all the new goodies, but
          I'm always glad to make the fanboard, the first in the know.

          Talk to you soon, Patrick

        • Jim Balent Studios
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
            :blush:
            see you their Mitey

          • sjharvey9@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
              In a message dated 3/1/2008 12:51:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, donaldbain@... writes:
              I've gone to every Con so far.  This will be the first one I've missed
              and  it's due to the over inflated entry fee and lack of new sellers.
              Does anyone else feel this way or and I the Lone Ranger here?

              I sort of agree. I'll still go to the Comicon this year, but, nothing against all of the artists that they have at the Con, I know they have to make a living just like the rest of us, but there did used to be a lot more comics vendors in the past. Maybe they should charge a separate fee to see the artists. Like I said, I'll still be going this year. I can't ever imagine missing it since I've been going for at least the last 10 years.

              --- SCOTT

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                GEEZ people, youre taking the posting to hard. save your money, go to san diego. every other con pails in comparison

                <donaldbain@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > Pittsburgh Comicon 2008, but we hope to see them again in coming
                > > years.
                > >
                > > That's it for now but you can count on more exciting stuff
                coming up,

                > > ...........and the show goes on!!
                > >
                > > Patrick Thomas
                > > Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon
                > >
                > > Pittsburgh Comicon
                > > April 25, 26, 27, 2008
                > > Pittsburgh Expomart - Monroeville, PA
                > > www.pittsburghcomic on.com
                > > pcomicon@...
                > > 1002 Graham Ave.
                > > Windber, PA 15963
                > > 814-467-4116
                > > 814-467-4416
                > >
                > > ------------ --------- -
                > >
                > > So once the update is up you go can check out all the new
                goodies, but
                > > I'm always glad to make the fanboard, the first in the know.

              • Will Crites
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                  I'd love to go to San Diego, but thats not in my foreseeable future. But I
                  go to the PCC for the artists *hi Jim, hi Holly*. I always find comics for
                  my collection for a fairly cheap price. Besides Jim and Holly I'm hoping Amy
                  Lynn Best will be there. So the $18 is no big deal to me. Oh and this year
                  my daughter is going with me. We'll be there on Sunday in costume, I'll be
                  Tatewki Kuno (Ranma 1/2) and she'll be Sakura Haruno (Naruto).

                  Will

                  DUGGER wrote:

                  GEEZ people, youre taking the posting to hard. save your money, go to san
                  diego. every other con pails in comparison
                • batmiteforever
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                    OK heres the thing.... all the vendors that do show up at the Con to
                    sell you stuff come from different states, so why come to the Burgh?
                    Because they know a couple thousand people from all over will be
                    there. Are those people driving or flying in for the bargins or is it
                    because of a guest or an artist they want to meet? Come on man you
                    know the answer to that, if it wasnt for the guests would I drive to
                    Baltimore from PA for a comic show? NO.....If there was a separte
                    charge for artist alley and Frank Cho came back would you complain
                    that you had to pay to meet one guy? Or would you be suggesting pay
                    for each guest you want to meet? --- In

                    ______________

                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                      Im pretty sure thats not directed at me. I go to many cons, for several reasons. PCC is decent, Ive had better luck elsewhere as far as filling gaps in my collection. As far as guests, again PCC is ok, Philly, New York, San Diego especially has more to offer. My only  dissapointment with the PCC is that  the same guests every year, My point about the Steel City Con, they may only get one or 2 artists, but they are different. Hell last time Billy Tan was there and he told me he didnt see himself coming to the PCC, didnt give me a reason either.
                       Im still goin to the PCC, I like it alot, but the last few years in my mind have been lackluster as far as guests.

                      ____________ __

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                        if it helps any
                        we do bring our comics-TPB-art prints-artbooks-special con pin up books
                        and for the 1st time Candles!
                        so maybe that will be a bit exciting-since i know some of our issues are a bit rare!

                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                          pretty sure Amy will be there!
                          :Hugging Will:

                          Will Crites wrote:

                          >I'd love to go to San Diego, but thats not in my foreseeable future. But I
                          >go to the PCC for the artists *hi Jim, hi Holly*. I always find comics for
                          >my collection for a fairly cheap price. Besides Jim and Holly I'm hoping Amy
                          >Lynn Best will be there. So the $18 is no big deal to me. Oh and this year
                          >my daughter is going with me. We'll be there on Sunday in costume, I'll be
                          >Tatewki Kuno (Ranma 1/2) and she'll be Sakura Haruno (Naruto).
                          >
                          >Will
                          >
                          >DUGGER wrote:
                          >
                          >GEEZ people, youre taking the posting to hard. save your money, go to san
                          >diego. every other con pails in comparison
                          >

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Jim Balent Studios
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                            mmm should we take this personally...
                            humph-and I bought a bunch of cute outfits!
                            and hats 2!
                            H :-P

                            ____________ __
                            > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                          • Maya
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
> [...]
                              > Pittsburgh Comicon 2008, but we hope to see them again in coming
                              years.

                              > That's it for now but you can count on more exciting stuff coming
                              up,

                              > ...........and the show goes on!!
                              >
                              > Patrick Thomas
                              > Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon
                              >
                              > Pittsburgh Comicon
                              > April 25, 26, 27, 2008
                              > Pittsburgh Expomart - Monroeville, PA
                              > www.pittsburghcomicwww.pi
                              > _pcomicon@..._ (mailto:pcomicon@...)
                              > 1002 Graham Ave.
                              > Windber, PA 15963
                              > 814-467-4116
                              > 814-467-4416
                              >
                              > ----------------------
                              >
                              > So once the update is up you go can check out all the new goodies,
                              but
                              > I'm always glad to make the fanboard, the first in the know.

                              Living.
                              > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-
                              campos-duffy/
                              > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                            • Maya
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Will Crites"
                                <megacitytours@...> wrote:
                                >Finally, I'm glad to see someone talking about costumes, It took me
                                a half hour to read all these messages.
                                So Let change the SUBJECT of the price and Go to why you really
                                want to go to the PCC?
                                For me..... It's the costumes and costumers. I too will be at the PCC
                                with my daughter, she want to be Batgirl, and I want her to be Little
                                Washu(from Techi). And I'm working on a two Anime costume for myself:
                                Aisha Clan clan (from The OutLaw Star) and Yoruichi (from Bleach).
                                And my bff is going to be Amane Misa (from Death Note). In the near
                                future I should be finished with (Vixen) and my bff is going to be
                                Black Canary. So
                                I planning to have Fun!!!!!!!!
                                Who want to go there to have fun. I'll see you there!

                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  I'll be interviewing the cosplayers
                                  be prepared!

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                    Maya hit it on the head. Why go to the PCC, to have fun. Me and my daughter
                                    are going to Otakon in August. Shes going as a pokemon and I'll going as
                                    Ganju Shiba from Bleach. Maybe all the costumers on the list could meet up
                                    before the con begins.

                                    Will

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                      An added incentive for going. Can't wait to see you there.

                                      Will

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                        I really been wanting to meet Amy since I became part of the Sirens of
                                        Cinema Street Team. Ah, Holly, ya got me blushing :)

                                        Will

                                        Jim Balent Studios wrote:

                                        > pretty sure Amy will be there!
                                        > :Hugging Will:
                                      • Jim Balent Studios

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                              NOOOOOOOOOO, but I think you understand what Im saying.

                                              ____________ __

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                                heehee

                                                ____________ __
                                                > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                              • paul s. brittain
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 4, 2008
                                                  I have attended the Pittsburgh Con as both a fan and as a vendor to sell my
                                                  books. Considering that this event is independently managed and is not a
                                                  "Wizard Con", I don't think you can ask for much more. I have made new
                                                  friends and met great star guests in Pittsburgh. Some day I would like to
                                                  try the other cons, but for now, I'm content with this one that is within 30
                                                  miles of home.

                                                  Paul S. Brittain
                                                  www.psbpublications.com