Re: [pittscomicon] Comicon Update

  • Jim Balent Studios
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
      DUDE RUN!
      oh-I can't wait!!

      comiconguy wrote:

      Hello folks, the Comicon website will be updated in the next week but
      here is a copy of the email update that will soon be going out as a
      preview of what you can expect!!!!!

      ------------ --------- ---------

      Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls and all the ships at sea,

      It's time for another Comicon Update.

      Sorry it's been awhile since my last update, but we've been finishing
      up on the Convention Newspaper. You should be receiving yours any day
      now.
      If you aren't on the mailing list don't hesitate to email your mailing
      address to: pcomicon@floodcity. net and we'll get you added right away.

      So what new guests can you expect:

      • How about Battlestar Galactica's Chief Tyrol, Aaron Douglas
      appearing for the first time in Pittsburgh?

      • and How about Ghost Hunter International' s Brian Harnios?

      • Lastly from the media guest category, we have: "Fighting Crime
      One-Donut at a Time", Who Wants to Be A Superhero's Fat Momma;

      We have also added 40+ others guests from throughout the comics industry.

      Two guests that made it just a smidge too late to be included in the
      flyer, include:

      • Writer of Guy Gardner, Wyonna Earp and the new 24:Cold Warriors
      Graphic Novel, comic's toughman, Beau Smith

      and classic actor from many Ed Wood productions and various horror
      films, Conrad Brooks.

      We have also just added our events schedule, a partial gaming schedule
      and new auction stuff;

      You can check it all out at www.pittsburghcomic on.com

      We do have two cancellations to announce: We regret that scheduling
      changes will preclude Ken Foree and Brian Pulido from making it
      Pittsburgh Comicon 2008, but we hope to see them again in coming years.

      That's it for now but you can count on more exciting stuff coming up,

      ...........and the show goes on!!

      Patrick Thomas
      Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon

      Pittsburgh Comicon
      April 25, 26, 27, 2008
      Pittsburgh Expomart - Monroeville, PA
      www.pittsburghcomic on.com
      pcomicon@floodcity. net
      1002 Graham Ave.
      Windber, PA 15963
      814-467-4116
      814-467-4416

      ------------ --------- -

      So once the update is up you go can check out all the new goodies, but
      I'm always glad to make the fanboard, the first in the know.

      Talk to you soon, Patrick

    • Donald Hargnett
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
        That's nice but how about taking $8 off the entry price? How about
        charging that $8 to get into the artist area? How about getting new
        vendors so we don't have 5 tables of bootleg DVDs and a guy selling
        basement water proofing?

        There's too much emphasis on the artist alley and guests and not enough
        on the vendors. I go to find stuff I can't get at the local shop and
        dig through the bargain bins. The only artist I ever went to see was
        Frank Cho and he hasn't been a guest in years. If the guests are such
        a draw then the fee to see them won't be an issue and it'll draw more
        people, like me, who want to just browse the dealer area.

        I've gone to every Con so far. This will be the first one I've missed
        and it's due to the over inflated entry fee and lack of new sellers.
        Does anyone else feel this way or and I the Lone Ranger here?

        Donald

        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
          I see your point. But I see the con peoples point too. I think it should be more affordable to go  to the con. The radisson is raping people 149 a night, Im staying 1 mile up the street (if that)  for 74.99 a night.The steel city con charges you like 7 bucks to get in, they have people the comicon wont get, and there is plenty of comics to dig through too. that show is growing more popular every time they have it (Mar 29,30)
          I think 10 bucks a day to go to the con is fair, but its just getting out of hand

          You can check it all out at www.pittsburghcomicon.com

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:pittscomicon-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:pittscomicon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Lisa Davis
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
            I can understand both sides, like Dugger said!   Um, you said it should be more affordable right?...Yes, I agree that the prices for to get in (like 18 bucks) yeah, that is a lot!   But for them to take it down to like 10 bucks, yeah, some more people would come, but  then they'd be kinda over crowded, I'd think, but I could be wrong.   To be staying at the Radisson for $149.00 bucks a night?....I think you over estimated buddy!   I made my reservations.....and I got the Con rate for $ 99.00 bucks a night!  How the heck did you figure in $149.00 is beyond me!
            I had gone to the Steel City Con.....and besides...there is NO Costuming People there like there are at Pitts!  Just my 2 cents!
            ~Spidergirl

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pittscomic on/

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pittscomic on/join

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
                Hey here is an idea don't go. Go to Steel city con with its one or
                two artists and if your lucky maybe someone who was in a Star Wars
                movie for half a second. Thats not a knock on Steel city I go to both
                shows but to try and compare the two you must be smoking something
                you should pass around. Steel city guest wise is no where near PGH
                Con, so I'm sure the overhead cost is a lot less. Yeah it hurts
                paying 18 bucks to get in but to me the trade off out ways that cost.
                I'm the other end of the spectrum I collect artwork and enjoy meeting
                the people who create the books and characters I enjoy. There is a
                thrill in discovering a self published book that is actually better
                than what the main steam companies churn out. If I was only there for
                the dollar bins I probably would stay home or surf ebay. So you save
                your $18.00 bucks and I'll tell Jim, Holly and the people who put on
                the show thanks!
                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Donald Hargnett

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                    :blush:
                    see you their Mitey

                  • sjharvey9@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                      In a message dated 3/1/2008 12:51:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, donaldbain@... writes:
                      I've gone to every Con so far.  This will be the first one I've missed
                      and  it's due to the over inflated entry fee and lack of new sellers.
                      Does anyone else feel this way or and I the Lone Ranger here?

                      I sort of agree. I'll still go to the Comicon this year, but, nothing against all of the artists that they have at the Con, I know they have to make a living just like the rest of us, but there did used to be a lot more comics vendors in the past. Maybe they should charge a separate fee to see the artists. Like I said, I'll still be going this year. I can't ever imagine missing it since I've been going for at least the last 10 years.

                      --- SCOTT

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                        GEEZ people, youre taking the posting to hard. save your money, go to san diego. every other con pails in comparison

                        <donaldbain@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > Pittsburgh Comicon 2008, but we hope to see them again in coming
                        > > years.
                        > >
                        > > That's it for now but you can count on more exciting stuff
                        coming up,

                        > > ...........and the show goes on!!
                        > >
                        > > Patrick Thomas
                        > > Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon
                        > >
                        > > Pittsburgh Comicon
                        > > April 25, 26, 27, 2008
                        > > Pittsburgh Expomart - Monroeville, PA
                        > > www.pittsburghcomic on.com
                        > > pcomicon@...
                        > > 1002 Graham Ave.
                        > > Windber, PA 15963
                        > > 814-467-4116
                        > > 814-467-4416
                        > >
                        > > ------------ --------- -
                        > >
                        > > So once the update is up you go can check out all the new
                        goodies, but
                        > > I'm always glad to make the fanboard, the first in the know.

                      • Will Crites
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                          I'd love to go to San Diego, but thats not in my foreseeable future. But I
                          go to the PCC for the artists *hi Jim, hi Holly*. I always find comics for
                          my collection for a fairly cheap price. Besides Jim and Holly I'm hoping Amy
                          Lynn Best will be there. So the $18 is no big deal to me. Oh and this year
                          my daughter is going with me. We'll be there on Sunday in costume, I'll be
                          Tatewki Kuno (Ranma 1/2) and she'll be Sakura Haruno (Naruto).

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                            OK heres the thing.... all the vendors that do show up at the Con to
                            sell you stuff come from different states, so why come to the Burgh?
                            Because they know a couple thousand people from all over will be
                            there. Are those people driving or flying in for the bargins or is it
                            because of a guest or an artist they want to meet? Come on man you
                            know the answer to that, if it wasnt for the guests would I drive to
                            Baltimore from PA for a comic show? NO.....If there was a separte
                            charge for artist alley and Frank Cho came back would you complain
                            that you had to pay to meet one guy? Or would you be suggesting pay
                            for each guest you want to meet? --- In

                            ______________

                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                              Im pretty sure thats not directed at me. I go to many cons, for several reasons. PCC is decent, Ive had better luck elsewhere as far as filling gaps in my collection. As far as guests, again PCC is ok, Philly, New York, San Diego especially has more to offer. My only  dissapointment with the PCC is that  the same guests every year, My point about the Steel City Con, they may only get one or 2 artists, but they are different. Hell last time Billy Tan was there and he told me he didnt see himself coming to the PCC, didnt give me a reason either.
                               Im still goin to the PCC, I like it alot, but the last few years in my mind have been lackluster as far as guests.

                              ____________ __

                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                if it helps any
                                we do bring our comics-TPB-art prints-artbooks-special con pin up books
                                and for the 1st time Candles!
                                so maybe that will be a bit exciting-since i know some of our issues are a bit rare!

                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  pretty sure Amy will be there!
                                  :Hugging Will:

                                  Will Crites wrote:

                                  >I'd love to go to San Diego, but thats not in my foreseeable future. But I
                                  >go to the PCC for the artists *hi Jim, hi Holly*. I always find comics for
                                  >my collection for a fairly cheap price. Besides Jim and Holly I'm hoping Amy
                                  >Lynn Best will be there. So the $18 is no big deal to me. Oh and this year
                                  >my daughter is going with me. We'll be there on Sunday in costume, I'll be
                                  >Tatewki Kuno (Ranma 1/2) and she'll be Sakura Haruno (Naruto).
                                  >
                                  >Will
                                  >
                                  >DUGGER wrote:
                                  >
                                  >GEEZ people, youre taking the posting to hard. save your money, go to san
                                  >diego. every other con pails in comparison
                                  >

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Jim Balent Studios
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                    mmm should we take this personally...
                                    humph-and I bought a bunch of cute outfits!
                                    and hats 2!
                                    H :-P

                                    ____________ __
                                    > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                  • Maya
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
> [...]
                                      > Pittsburgh Comicon 2008, but we hope to see them again in coming
                                      years.

                                      > That's it for now but you can count on more exciting stuff coming
                                      up,

                                      > ...........and the show goes on!!
                                      >
                                      > Patrick Thomas
                                      > Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon
                                      >
                                      > Pittsburgh Comicon
                                      > April 25, 26, 27, 2008
                                      > Pittsburgh Expomart - Monroeville, PA
                                      > www.pittsburghcomicwww.pi
                                      > _pcomicon@..._ (mailto:pcomicon@...)
                                      > 1002 Graham Ave.
                                      > Windber, PA 15963
                                      > 814-467-4116
                                      > 814-467-4416
                                      >
                                      > ----------------------
                                      >
                                      > So once the update is up you go can check out all the new goodies,
                                      but
                                      > I'm always glad to make the fanboard, the first in the know.

                                      Living.
                                      > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-
                                      campos-duffy/
                                      > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                                    • Maya
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Will Crites"
                                        <megacitytours@...> wrote:
                                        >Finally, I'm glad to see someone talking about costumes, It took me
                                        a half hour to read all these messages.
                                        So Let change the SUBJECT of the price and Go to why you really
                                        want to go to the PCC?
                                        For me..... It's the costumes and costumers. I too will be at the PCC
                                        with my daughter, she want to be Batgirl, and I want her to be Little
                                        Washu(from Techi). And I'm working on a two Anime costume for myself:
                                        Aisha Clan clan (from The OutLaw Star) and Yoruichi (from Bleach).
                                        And my bff is going to be Amane Misa (from Death Note). In the near
                                        future I should be finished with (Vixen) and my bff is going to be
                                        Black Canary. So
                                        I planning to have Fun!!!!!!!!
                                        Who want to go there to have fun. I'll see you there!

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                          I'll be interviewing the cosplayers
                                          be prepared!

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                            Maya hit it on the head. Why go to the PCC, to have fun. Me and my daughter
                                            are going to Otakon in August. Shes going as a pokemon and I'll going as
                                            Ganju Shiba from Bleach. Maybe all the costumers on the list could meet up
                                            before the con begins.

                                            Will

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                              An added incentive for going. Can't wait to see you there.

                                              Will

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                                I really been wanting to meet Amy since I became part of the Sirens of
                                                Cinema Street Team. Ah, Holly, ya got me blushing :)

                                                Will

                                                Jim Balent Studios wrote:

                                                > pretty sure Amy will be there!
                                                > :Hugging Will:
                                              • Jim Balent Studios

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                                      NOOOOOOOOOO, but I think you understand what Im saying.

                                                      ____________ __

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                                        heehee

                                                        ____________ __
                                                        > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                                      • paul s. brittain
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 4, 2008
                                                          I have attended the Pittsburgh Con as both a fan and as a vendor to sell my
                                                          books. Considering that this event is independently managed and is not a
                                                          "Wizard Con", I don't think you can ask for much more. I have made new
                                                          friends and met great star guests in Pittsburgh. Some day I would like to
                                                          try the other cons, but for now, I'm content with this one that is within 30
                                                          miles of home.

                                                          Paul S. Brittain
                                                          www.psbpublications.com