Re: Nothing new to report today about Mike

  • axxinjaxxin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 2007
      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "norvandell" <BIG_BOOTE@...> wrote:

      > I have a friend, who wrote the artical for CBR.com, and he says that
      > so far nothing new to report.
      >
      > The Extridition, will be a seperate trial that the Michigan
      > authorities will have to fight here. Basically, if Mike wins, theres a
      > very good chance that all will go in his favor. Michigan, will have to
      > prove beyond a doubt, that Mike did what they are claiming. If that
      > happens, then mike will go to Michigan where another trial for the
      > charges will occur.
      >
      > If Michigan can't prove the charges, they can't take him back. Now I'm
      > no lawyer, but from what I understand, sounds like things are very
      > encouraging for Mike right now.
      >
      > Has anyone been by the store to see if they're open?. I would rather
      > get my comics from Comics World than think that they are closed before
      > asking, than not get my books at all.
      >
      > Tod

      I'd like to make one clarification on your post, as I work in the
      field of law...

      In the extradition, the Michigan folks will not need to prove guilt or
      anything "beyond a shadow of a doubt." They will need to come into
      Somerset County and enter what is called "prima facie" case
      (Definition from Wikipedia: in common law jurisdictions, prima facie
      denotes evidence that (unless rebutted) would be sufficient to prove a
      particular proposition or fact.) They will not need to prove the
      entire case here.

      In effect, they need to prove the lowest burden in legalese known as
      "preponderance of the evidence", which one attorney explained to me
      one time as a scale. If after the evidence is presented in court, the
      scale is balanced or tips ever so slightly in Mike's favor, he will
      not be extradited and in effect wins. If the scale tips ever so
      slightly in Michigan's favor, he will be extradited.

      Hope this helps.

      Rich
    • qrychepgh
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2007
        Fraud charges added regarding stolen books:
        http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007708100323

        Anyone know whether he collected life insurance?

        wrote:

        > I have a friend, who wrote the artical for CBR.com, and he says
        that
        > so far nothing new to report.
        >
        > The Extridition, will be a seperate trial that the Michigan
        > authorities will have to fight here. Basically, if Mike wins,
        theres a
        > very good chance that all will go in his favor. Michigan, will have
        > prove beyond a doubt, that Mike did what they are claiming. If that
        > happens, then mike will go to Michigan where another trial for the
        > charges will occur.
        >
        > If Michigan can't prove the charges, they can't take him back. Now
        I'm
        > no lawyer, but from what I understand, sounds like things are very
        > encouraging for Mike right now.
        >
        > Has anyone been by the store to see if they're open?. I would
        rather
        > get my comics from Comics World than think that they are closed
        before
        > asking, than not get my books at all.
        >
        > Tod

      • Lisa Davis
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 10, 2007

          If this helps you guys any.....I have the link to WJACTV.com that they did a report on Michael George.....there is a video link as well of a report.