Re: [pittscomicon] Re: Nothing new to report today about Mike

  • Lisa Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 2007
      Yes, I totally agree with the latter of what most of the gang here have said.   I was just curious to know what is/will happen to the Convention that Mike has started.   I went to the convention here this year for my first time (I had a lot of fun and enjoyed myself in costume too!),Yes, I'll deeply miss the convention also if it is not going to happen anymore!   I am deeply shocked and saddened at this news at this given time.  I hope that we'll learn some good news in the future!!

      Betsy Richard <betsyjayne1973@...> wrote:
      I would certainly miss going to the con, but at the moment I think
      that is the least of anyone's concerns. There are more important
      things at stake here for Mike and his family.

      --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, Lisa Davis <lisad_2711@ ...>
      wrote:

      > I was wanting to know....If by chance that they DO find him guilty
      and have to send him back to Michigan?... .What will happen to the
      PittsComicon now?

      > DUGGER <dugger_rockz@ ...> wrote:
      > Well, I hope he is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to
      be innocent, and they find out exactly who the culprit is.

      I'm
      > no lawyer, but from what I understand, sounds like things are very
      > encouraging for Mike right now.
      >
      > Has anyone been by the store to see if they're open?. I would
      rather
      > get my comics from Comics World than think that they are closed
      before
      > asking, than not get my books at all.
      >
      > Tod
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see
      what's on, when.

    • axxinjaxxin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2007
        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "norvandell" <BIG_BOOTE@...> wrote:

        > I have a friend, who wrote the artical for CBR.com, and he says that
        > so far nothing new to report.
        >
        > The Extridition, will be a seperate trial that the Michigan
        > authorities will have to fight here. Basically, if Mike wins, theres a
        > very good chance that all will go in his favor. Michigan, will have to
        > prove beyond a doubt, that Mike did what they are claiming. If that
        > happens, then mike will go to Michigan where another trial for the
        > charges will occur.
        >
        > If Michigan can't prove the charges, they can't take him back. Now I'm
        > no lawyer, but from what I understand, sounds like things are very
        > encouraging for Mike right now.
        >
        > Has anyone been by the store to see if they're open?. I would rather
        > get my comics from Comics World than think that they are closed before
        > asking, than not get my books at all.
        >
        > Tod

        I'd like to make one clarification on your post, as I work in the
        field of law...

        In the extradition, the Michigan folks will not need to prove guilt or
        anything "beyond a shadow of a doubt." They will need to come into
        Somerset County and enter what is called "prima facie" case
        (Definition from Wikipedia: in common law jurisdictions, prima facie
        denotes evidence that (unless rebutted) would be sufficient to prove a
        particular proposition or fact.) They will not need to prove the
        entire case here.

        In effect, they need to prove the lowest burden in legalese known as
        "preponderance of the evidence", which one attorney explained to me
        one time as a scale. If after the evidence is presented in court, the
        scale is balanced or tips ever so slightly in Mike's favor, he will
        not be extradited and in effect wins. If the scale tips ever so
        slightly in Michigan's favor, he will be extradited.

        Hope this helps.

        Rich
      • qrychepgh
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 10, 2007
          Fraud charges added regarding stolen books:
          http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007708100323

          Anyone know whether he collected life insurance?

          wrote:

          > I have a friend, who wrote the artical for CBR.com, and he says
          that
          > so far nothing new to report.
          >
          > The Extridition, will be a seperate trial that the Michigan
          > authorities will have to fight here. Basically, if Mike wins,
          theres a
          > very good chance that all will go in his favor. Michigan, will have
          > prove beyond a doubt, that Mike did what they are claiming. If that
          > happens, then mike will go to Michigan where another trial for the
          > charges will occur.
          >
          > If Michigan can't prove the charges, they can't take him back. Now
          I'm
          > no lawyer, but from what I understand, sounds like things are very
          > encouraging for Mike right now.
          >
          > Has anyone been by the store to see if they're open?. I would
          rather
          > get my comics from Comics World than think that they are closed
          before
          > asking, than not get my books at all.
          >
          > Tod

        • Lisa Davis
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 10, 2007

            If this helps you guys any.....I have the link to WJACTV.com that they did a report on Michael George.....there is a video link as well of a report.