Re: Arrested for 17 year-old murder???

  • Betsy Richard
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 7 5:37 AM
      This is a dead link, but I just heard something to that effect on
      Froogy 95 news this morning. I couldn't make out the details, the
      office copier was running and I couldn't hear very well.

      Needless to say, I almost puked my breakfast all over my desk. This
      cannot possibly be true.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "qrychepgh" <qrychepgh@...> wrote:

      > Michael George arrested for murder???
      >
      > http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?
      > contentId=3992170&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

    • Chaz
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 7 6:13 AM
        This is some disturbing news.
        The link isn't dead, you have to copy & paste the entire link into your browser. There is a
        video which takes a while to load, and theres an ad that comes on first.
        http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?
        contentId=3992170&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1
        Here's another artical I found about this:

        Comic-store owner accused of murder

        By PATRICK BUCHNOWSKI
        The Tribune-Democrat
        WINDBER — The owner of a comic-book store has been charged with the execution-style
        murder of his wife 17 years ago – an arrest that is reverberating through the borough.

        Michael Ralph George, 46, owner of Comics World in Windber, is charged by police in
        Clinton Township, Mich., with killing his then-wife, Barbara Marie George, in July 1990.

        The 32-year-old's body was found by customers in the back of the couple's Michigan
        store – also Comics World – and $30,000 worth of comic books were taken, according to
        The Macomb Daily.

        She died of a single shot to the head from a .38-caliber gun.

        Barbara George was killed after closing the store to prepare a surprise birthday party for
        husband, then 30, the report said.

        The couple had two small children.

        Investigators from Michigan were in Somerset County last week continuing their
        investigation, Somerset County District Attorney Jerry Spangler said.

        Spangler could not say what led investigators to George, 17 years later.

        "Obviously, there must have been some recent developments," he said.

        George was picked up Saturday by state police in the 1000 block of Graham Avenue,
        where his store is.

        He surrendered without incident, state police Cpl. Jeffrey Doman said.

        George was arraigned by on-call District Judge Joseph Cannoni of Windber on a fugitive
        warrant and sent to the Somerset County Jail without bond.

        It could not immediately be determined whether he has an attorney.

        George, who since has remarried, is expected to have an extradition hearing this week
        before a Somerset County judge. After that, Spangler said, George will be taken to
        Michigan to stand trial for homicide and possession of a firearm to commit a felony.

        Several Windber business owners declined to talk about George on Monday. Residents,
        though, said he is a friendly neighbor who refereed youth basketball and allowed children
        to play video games in the store.

        "I was shocked when I heard about it," one man said. "You never would have suspected it."

        At the time of the murder, police theorized the shooter was familiar with classic comic
        books and the trading card industry because of the value of the items taken.

        Barbara George was killed at point-blank range in what authorities called an "execution-
        style" method, The Macomb Daily said. She was shot in the top of the head – which
        indicated she was sitting or kneeling at the time of the shooting, the report said.

        Clinton Township police are remaining tight-lipped about the case and did not return a
        telephone call for comment.

        Comics World in Windber was closed Monday.
        The only other stuff that the video said that's not in this artical was that M.r George was
        going through a divorce at the time of the murder. Plus that Mr. George's current wife who
        was his girlfriend at the time, left her husband and children and came to Windber with Mr.
        George.
        Here's another article:
        Husband arrested in 1990 comic store slaying

        Victim's husband taken into custody in Pennsylvania on homicide charges.

        By Mitch Hotts
        Macomb Daily Staff Writer

        Macomb County authorities are expected to announce today an arrest in the 17-year-old
        slaying of a Macomb Township woman who was killed "execution style" in the comic book
        store she co-owned with her husband.

        Barbara Marie George was planning a surprise birthday party for her husband when she
        was killed in July 1990 in the former Comics World store in Venice Square Mall on Garfield
        Road in Clinton Township.

        Her husband, Michael Ralph George, was arrested Saturday in Windber, Pa., according to
        documents obtained by The Macomb Daily.

        "We picked him up in a local business without any problems and he was not armed," said
        Cpl. Jeffrey Doman of the Pennsylvania State Police.

        Investigators did not disclose a motive in the slaying or what led to a break in the case
        that resulted in the arrest.

        According to a police criminal complaint, Pennsylvania police took George into custody
        based on an arrest warrant for homicide filed by Clinton Township police in 41B District
        Court on Saturday.

        Lt. Craig Keith of the Clinton Township police department was in Pennsylvania on Monday
        arranging for the suspect to be extradited to Michigan, officials said.

        The Macomb County Prosecutor's Office on Monday declined to release details of the
        incident. Ben Liston, chief of staff for the prosecutor's office, said investigators were still
        interviewing witnesses and awaiting results of a ballistics test before commenting.

        It wasn't immediately clear how long Michael George had been residing in Windber or
        whether he was employed.

        Clinton Township police in 1990 said they believed at the time that whoever killed Mrs.
        George knew her and was familiar with the comic book and baseball card industry.

        Barbara George, a 32-year-old mother of two daughters, was found shot to death in the
        back of her store. Police determined about $30,000 worth of comic books was missing
        from the store.

        Retired Macomb County Medical Examiner Dr. Werner Spitz at the time indicated Mrs.
        George had been shot in the top of her head, which meant she had been sitting down or
        kneeling when she was attacked.

        She had closed the comic book store to prepare for a surprise birthday party for her
        husband, who was turning 30. Two longtime customers came into the store that night and
        found her body in a rear storage room.

        Investigators in July of 1990 said Michael George was supposed to pick up his wife from
        the store and go out to dinner before returning to the store for a surprise celebration with
        friends, neighbors and employees.

        Although Clinton Township detectives initially suspected robbery was the motive, comic
        book industry experts agreed while robberies do happen, rarely does anyone die over the
        magazines.

        Mrs. George's father, Dr. Peter Kowynia, who has offices in Clinton Township and Grosse
        Pointe Woods, could not be reached for comment Monday evening.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Betsy Richard" <betsyjayne1973@...> wrote:

        > This is a dead link, but I just heard something to that effect on
        > Froogy 95 news this morning. I couldn't make out the details, the
        > office copier was running and I couldn't hear very well.
        >
        > Needless to say, I almost puked my breakfast all over my desk. This
        > cannot possibly be true.
        >

        > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "qrychepgh" <qrychepgh@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Michael George arrested for murder???
        > >
        > > http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?
        > > contentId=3992170&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

      • Chad "Space Ghost" Wilson
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7 6:33 AM
          Wow...
        • Betsy Richard
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 7 6:51 AM
            I still cannot get the link to work, must be a firewall issue.

            I'm still in shock. Thanks for posting the additional articles, I
            had already seen the one in the Tribune Democrap.

            My prayers are with Renee and their kids right now. I cannot even
            imagine how difficult this must be for them all.

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 7 7:40 AM

              DAMN! I am  stunned like everyone else, We have had lunch a couple times during the Con and I dont think anyone could ask to meet a nicer person, same goes for his wife, I hope this isnt true, but from everything I have read it is difficult to think otherwise.

> [...]

              > Husband arrested in 1990 comic store slaying
              >

              > Victim's husband taken into custody in Pennsylvania on homicide
              charges.
              > By Mitch Hotts
              >
              > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "Betsy Richard"
              <betsyjayne1973@ > wrote:

              > > This is a dead link, but I just heard something to that effect on
              > > Froogy 95 news this morning. I couldn't make out the details,
              the
              > > office copier was running and I couldn't hear very well.
              > >
              > > Needless to say, I almost puked my breakfast all over my desk.
              This
              > > cannot possibly be true.
              > >

              > > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "qrychepgh" <qrychepgh@>
              wrote:

              > > > Michael George arrested for murder???
              > > >
              > > > http://www.myfoxdet roit.com/ myfox/pages/ News/Detail?
              > > > contentId=3992170& version=1& locale=EN-

            • acroraya30x
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 7 10:07 AM
                Johnstown Trib Democrat article:

                http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_219004129.html

                ...I'm stunned too.

                AcroRay
                (Father of costume contest Godzilla and Transformers kids...)
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 7 11:31 AM
                  Now the question Ive heard 30 times today.... What will happen to the CON?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 7 9:45 PM
                    I've been sick to my tummy all day. Whats shocking for me, is just
                    last Wednesday, I was talking to Mike at the store while trading old
                    comics and discussing the downfall of another dealer from Altoona.

                    I have been a guest at the con since the second year and have gotten
                    closer to the family over the years and just can not believe that this
                    has happened. Its not for them to discuss their past and why they
                    moved to Windbur. I really don't need to know. What I do know is that
                    for the last 15 years they have been good people and friendly to me
                    and they have my full support.

                    But its hard to imagine what Mike is going through right now. I saw
                    his mug shot on tv tonight, and I saw the look of utter devistation in
                    his face. It hurts to see that look in someone.

                    They have done right by me and all of us for that matter. I hope in
                    some way that the con will still go on, and if it does, I will be at
                    my booth. So please do me a favor and don't pass any judgement. Keep
                    any negative comments to yourselves. If you can't, then stay out of
                    the group.

                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "qrychepgh" <qrychepgh@...> wrote:

                    > Michael George arrested for murder???
                    >
                    > http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?
                    > contentId=3992170&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

                  • qrychepgh
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 7 11:05 PM
                      Another article here:
                      http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Articles/2007/8-8-07/CC-COLDCASE.asp

                      Pretty grisly and cold, as far as the way the murders go.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8 3:50 AM

                        i agree 100%

                        I've been sick to my tummy all day. Whats shocking for me, is just
                        last Wednesday, I was talking to Mike at the store while trading old
                        comics and discussing the downfall of another dealer from Altoona.

                        I have been a guest at the con since the second year and have gotten
                        closer to the family over the years and just can not believe that this
                        has happened. Its not for them to discuss their past and why they
                        moved to Windbur. I really don't need to know. What I do know is that
                        for the last 15 years they have been good people and friendly to me
                        and they have my full support.

                        But its hard to imagine what Mike is going through right now. I saw
                        his mug shot on tv tonight, and I saw the look of utter devistation in
                        his face. It hurts to see that look in someone.

                        They have done right by me and all of us for that matter. I hope in
                        some way that the con will still go on, and if it does, I will be at
                        my booth. So please do me a favor and don't pass any judgement. Keep
                        any negative comments to yourselves. If you can't, then stay out of
                        the group.

                        --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "qrychepgh" <qrychepgh@. ..> wrote:

                        > Michael George arrested for murder???
                        >
                        > http://www.myfoxdet roit.com/ myfox/pages/ News/Detail?
                        > contentId=3992170& version=1& locale=EN- US&layoutCode= VSTY&pageId= 3.2.1

                      • R Howard
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8 6:32 AM
                          I could not have said this better.

                          I was shocked and sickened when I read this news yesterday, but I'm sure my reaction pales in comparison to what Renee and their seven children are going through, particularly his two daughters to his first wife.  Regardless of the outcome of this case, our thoughts and prayers should certainly be with all of them.

                          I have been a customer, and more importantly a friend of Mike's and Renee's since they opened their Windber store in 1993.  I've vacationed with them, babysat their children and for the last 12 years helped them run the Pittsburgh Comicon.  In all that time, there is not a single incident, comment or experience I could point to that would make me suspect Mike was capable of something like this.  In my experience he has been a loving family man, an upstanding and involved member of the community, and a good friend.

                          I'm obviously very curious what evidence and/or testimony has come to light to cause the police to move on this after 17 years, but I certainly hope it is all a mistake.  Unless he would confess to the crime, or is proven guilty in a court of law, I choose to believe Mike is innocent, but I do hope Barbara's killer is eventually brought to justice.

                          No, I don't know what this holds for the future of the convention, and I don't think any of us will for quite a while.  Obviously this will be very damaging to Mike's reputation even if he is eventually aquitted.  I hope it's not the end of the Comicon, but it's difficult to imagine Renee running the show by herself, even with the support of the staff.  Let's all think positive thoughts and hope for the best.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8 4:09 PM
                            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@...> wrote:

                            > I could not have said this better.
                            >
                            > I was shocked and sickened when I read this news yesterday, but I'm sure my reaction
                            pales in comparison to what Renee and their seven children are going through, particularly
                            his two daughters to his first wife. Regardless of the outcome of this case, our thoughts
                            and prayers should certainly be with all of them.

                            > I have been a customer, and more importantly a friend of Mike's and Renee's since they
                            opened their Windber store in 1993. I've vacationed with them, babysat their children and
                            for the last 12 years helped them run the Pittsburgh Comicon. In all that time, there is not
                            a single incident, comment or experience I could point to that would make me suspect
                            Mike was capable of something like this. In my experience he has been a loving family
                            man, an upstanding and involved member of the community, and a good friend.

                            > I'm obviously very curious what evidence and/or testimony has come to light to cause
                            the police to move on this after 17 years, but I certainly hope it is all a mistake. Unless he
                            would confess to the crime, or is proven guilty in a court of law, I choose to believe Mike is
                            innocent, but I do hope Barbara's killer is eventually brought to justice.

                            > No, I don't know what this holds for the future of the convention, and I don't think any
                            of us will for quite a while. Obviously this will be very damaging to Mike's reputation even
                            if he is eventually aquitted. I hope it's not the end of the Comicon, but it's difficult to
                            imagine Renee running the show by herself, even with the support of the staff. Let's all
                            think positive thoughts and hope for the best.

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos &
                            more.

                            I only got to talk to the Georges here and there, but they were always very nice people. I
                            think this is shocking for us all. We love this con (I've gone to everyone with my buddy
                            Dave, it's a ritual for us), and it was well known how much the Georges loved doing it for
                            us. I hope we can get updates on the events to come. And I agree, until proven guilty, Mike
                            is innocent. And that the killer is brought to justice. If you pray, prayers for Renee and the
                            children can't hurt. I hope someone will let them know that we all are thinking of them.
                          • Betsy Richard
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 9 12:46 PM
                              I have just recently moved back to the J-town area and have not had
                              the time to stop into the store to say hi. I regret not having
                              visited now more than ever. During the time I lived here previously,
                              and after I moved to Chambersburg where they had a store for a few
                              years, I saw Mike on an almost daily basis. I always considered Mike
                              a good friend and I was totally shocked when I heard this news on the
                              radio this week. My prayers are certainly with Mike and Renee and
                              the kids, and I hope someone is able to relay our love and concern to
                              them. I know it has been a long while since I spoke with them, but
                              they were never far from my thoughts.

                            • dugger_rockz
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 9 6:08 PM
                                has any new word been out yet?

                                > i agree 100%

                                user panel and lay it on us.

                              • Chaz
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 9 6:58 PM
                                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "dugger_rockz" <dugger_rockz@...> wrote:

                                  > has any new word been out yet?

                                  I found these (the first is a report from the date of the original crime):

                                  ttp://www.cbgxtra.com/Default.aspx?tabid=42&view=topic&forumid=17&postid=32116

                                  http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_219234819.html

                                  http://www.dailyamerican.com/articles/2007/08/07/top/headlines/01_news874.txt

                                  http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11511