931Re: the costume contest

  • Samantha
    May 8, 2007
      > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
      > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
      > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
      > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
      > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
      > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
      > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
      > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
      > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
      > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

      First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
      It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
      right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
      makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
      to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
      correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
      had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
      presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
      That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
      anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
      as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
      wanted if I would have won...

      Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
      of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic