903Re: the costume contest

  • fanky_malloon
    May 2, 2007
      BTW-The entire Venture Group was fantastic. The time you spent on
      those cotumes was obvious. I was hanging out on the side of the stage
      and saw one of The Monarch's darts that landed near us. Needless to
      say I was impressed that not only did he have working dart launchers,
      but they even had little butterflies on them (the darts). Great eye
      for detail.

      I shared the photos from this site with some friends and they were
      amazed.

      I think you all should find a good picture of you all and email that
      in to Adult Swim.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Alyson Mae Rhodes"
      <kashira@...> wrote:

      > Hi all.
      the Dr.
      > Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I definitely know the
      size of our
      > group helped us out a lot, but we all worked really hard on our
      costumes.
      > Except for the spandex bodysuit, my boyfriend Jon made all of his
      Monarch
      > costume - including the nose prosthetic, the beard and the
      eyebrows. The two
      > of us were in his basement for hours on Saturday night reinforcing
      his chest
      > armor with dental acrylic and latex. Julia scoured thrift stores
      making sure
      > her Girl Hitler costume was exact, and she also sewed the jherkins
      (or
      > however the hell it's spelled) and shorts for the henchmen. I know
      we were
      > helped by strength in numbers, but we also worked on our costumes
      for months
      > prior to the con and I'm just really happy everything turned out so
      well.

      > I also thought the judge's comments towards the girl dressed as
      Psylocke
      > were inappropriate, especially when I found out she was only 19.
      Last year I
      > didn't participate in the contest but I watched it and I remember
      the judge
      > making some pretty rude comments. He was really nice to our group
      when we
      > ran into him earlier in the day, but on the whole his comments were
      really
      > oft-putting.
      >
      > I did have a ton of fun at the con, though, even though it seems to
      have
      > gotten progressively smaller since I started going in 2002. I was
      (and am)
      > really happy with the overwhelmingly positive response to the
      costumes we
      > worked so hard on.
      >
      > - Alyson Rhodes
      >
      > On 5/2/07, fanky_malloon <jmail3@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't know if the judges were biased, but the presenter did
      appear
      > > to be. I don't think he was demeaning to anyone but a bit rude to
      the
      > > females. I don't think this was malice, just trying to be funny.
      It
      > > was not really funny though.
      > >
      > > As to the performances, I don't know where a line should be
      drawn. It
      > > was enjoyable to see cobra Commander screaming and very funny too,
      > > but things can get too drawn out like some of the group displays.
      > >
      > > I think the MC should say their names and stay out of it. I think
      the
      > > contestants should not really perfom (sadly too because most of it
      > > was great fun!).
      > > Otherwise I don't know that the judges did not recognize the
      > > characters, the MC might not have.
      > >
      > > I really don't think the acting had anything to do with the
      > > winners.
      > >
      > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com <pittscomicon%
      40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > and
      > > > he seems a little biased too.
      > > >
      > > > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
      > > comments,
      > > > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
      > > improvise
      > > > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his
      ego.
      > > He
      > > > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest"
      you
      > > > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
      > > > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_
      creates
      > > > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the
      characters,
      > > > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that,
      how
      > > on
      > > > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
      > > > performances?
      > > >
      > > > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume
      craftsmanship?
      > > > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers
      using
      > > > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-
      character,
      > > at
      > > > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
      > > advertise
      > > > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's
      their
      > > > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by
      separating:
      > > > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy,
      complexity,
      > > > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and
      character
      > > > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
      > > call
      > > > it a photo-shoot.

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic