899Re: the costume contest

  • fanky_malloon
    May 2, 2007
      I don't know if the judges were biased, but the presenter did appear
      to be. I don't think he was demeaning to anyone but a bit rude to the
      females. I don't think this was malice, just trying to be funny. It
      was not really funny though.

      As to the performances, I don't know where a line should be drawn. It
      was enjoyable to see cobra Commander screaming and very funny too,
      but things can get too drawn out like some of the group displays.

      I think the MC should say their names and stay out of it. I think the
      contestants should not really perfom (sadly too because most of it
      was great fun!).
      Otherwise I don't know that the judges did not recognize the
      characters, the MC might not have.

      I really don't think the acting had anything to do with the
      winners.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ja_glinka" <ja_glinka@...>
      wrote:

      > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
      and
      > he seems a little biased too.
      >
      > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
      comments,
      > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
      improvise
      > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
      He
      > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
      > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
      > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
      > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
      > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
      on
      > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
      > performances?
      >
      > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
      > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
      > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
      at
      > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
      advertise
      > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
      > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
      > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
      > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
      > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
      call
      > it a photo-shoot.

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic