459Re: costume question

  • eve11_girl
    Apr 26, 2006
      >Thanks! Me am always try do something stupid.

      hee :)

      Thanks for the compliments on Aku :) My friend and I had a great time
      making him (some pictures and explanation <A
      HREF="http://eve11.livejournal.com/194519.html">here</a>). Walking
      really wasn't so bad. I was a <A
      HREF="http://www.sanetv.com/eve11/dragoncon05/sat-sun-mon/DSC01338s.jpg">Scarran
      </a> at DragonCon with those stilts and that costume was *a lot*
      heavier. Aku was just a lot of fabric and a (severely) modified
      baseball cap ;). Standing for so long was difficult, though. My legs
      are still kind of sore.

      -Rh
      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Bizarro, you were very funny onstage! :) The anime costumes
      > too
      > > were really good. I had no idea what the nun, vampire and assasin
      > > were from, but I did like the "big hat" comment ;)
      > >
      > > I was really impressed with all of the costumes, actually. So many
      > > different techniques and looks -- the prosthetics for the Vampires,
      > > the understated but extremely accurate Firefly costumes, the
      > fantastic
      > > Star Wars outfits: I mean, every one there was just fantastic. I
      > kept
      > > saying, "Fantastic!" a lot. Top quality. I was Aku from Samauri
      > > Jack; my friend and I built the costume from scratch last week. I
      > had
      > > stilts left over from a different costume for D*C 05 and wanted to
      > use
      > > them again. It was pretty involved to do in a short time but once
      > > got the idea it wouldn't let me go. We won 3rd place in the adult
      > > division; it was a certificate for $10. Two years ago I was Aeryn
      > Sun
      > > from Farscape-- a more understated costume that took me literally
      > > MONTHS to sew by hand and build the props and armor elements, plus
      > we
      > > had a remote controlled DRD too, and I didn't place. C'est la
      > vie.
      > >
      > > (btw, We came late to the show Sunday and I didn't have time to get
      > > film for my camera -- if anyone has any pictures of Aku, could they
      > > contact me? (rlweaver at stat dot cmu dot edu) I'd love to see
      > them. )
      > >
      > > I think it would be cool to have a "best in show", "best
      > group", "best
      > > workmanship", "best performance" style for judging things. I've
      > been
      > > in a few contests like that, but I think one thing they'd need to
      > do
      > > is (as was suggested) have people register early and have the
      > judges
      > > get a good close-up look at the pieces before the stage show,
      > because
      > > if there's too many categories it might take longer to judge them.
      > > Another thing is, I've been in contests where on the registration
      > > sheet you can put notes in terms of how the costume was made.
      > >
      > > I know I'd have hated to be a judge at this contest, because like I
      > > said, everyone was really stellar.
      > >
      > > -Rhiannon
      > >
      > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yeah, I think if turnout for the contest keeps on growing, they
      > > > ought to add a couple different prizes at least.
      > > >
      > > > And I was Bizarro, BTW. As I started to sweat a bit, I thought
      > > > maybe I should've powdered my face more. But people seemed to
      > like
      > > > my outfit fine anyway, which was very flattering.
      > > >
      > > > Also, the outfits were all pretty sweet, but I was truly

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic