454Re: costume question

  • EEGAH316
    Apr 26, 2006
      Thanks! Me am always try do something stupid. I considered dancing
      the Batusi onstage, but I decided it'd be overkill and just mugged
      with J'Onn for a bit there. It seemed to work.

      And I gotta say, I'm amazed that you could even walk around in your
      Aku outfit, let alone that it looked so good! I'm already teeming
      with excitement for next year, I gotta say.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "eve11_girl" <eve11_xf@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey Bizarro, you were very funny onstage! :) The anime costumes
      too
      > were really good. I had no idea what the nun, vampire and assasin
      > were from, but I did like the "big hat" comment ;)
      >
      > I was really impressed with all of the costumes, actually. So many
      > different techniques and looks -- the prosthetics for the Vampires,
      > the understated but extremely accurate Firefly costumes, the
      fantastic
      > Star Wars outfits: I mean, every one there was just fantastic. I
      kept
      > saying, "Fantastic!" a lot. Top quality. I was Aku from Samauri
      > Jack; my friend and I built the costume from scratch last week. I
      had
      > stilts left over from a different costume for D*C 05 and wanted to
      use
      > them again. It was pretty involved to do in a short time but once
      > got the idea it wouldn't let me go. We won 3rd place in the adult
      > division; it was a certificate for $10. Two years ago I was Aeryn
      Sun
      > from Farscape-- a more understated costume that took me literally
      > MONTHS to sew by hand and build the props and armor elements, plus
      we
      > had a remote controlled DRD too, and I didn't place. C'est la
      vie.

      > (btw, We came late to the show Sunday and I didn't have time to get
      > film for my camera -- if anyone has any pictures of Aku, could they
      > contact me? (rlweaver at stat dot cmu dot edu) I'd love to see
      them. )

      > I think it would be cool to have a "best in show", "best
      group", "best
      > workmanship", "best performance" style for judging things. I've
      been
      > in a few contests like that, but I think one thing they'd need to
      do
      > is (as was suggested) have people register early and have the
      judges
      > get a good close-up look at the pieces before the stage show,
      because
      > if there's too many categories it might take longer to judge them.
      > Another thing is, I've been in contests where on the registration
      > sheet you can put notes in terms of how the costume was made.
      >
      > I know I'd have hated to be a judge at this contest, because like I
      > said, everyone was really stellar.
      >
      > -Rhiannon
      >
      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yeah, I think if turnout for the contest keeps on growing, they
      > > ought to add a couple different prizes at least.
      > >
      > > And I was Bizarro, BTW. As I started to sweat a bit, I thought
      > > maybe I should've powdered my face more. But people seemed to
      like
      > > my outfit fine anyway, which was very flattering.
      > >
      > > Also, the outfits were all pretty sweet, but I was truly
      impressed
      > > by Chewbacca.
      > >

      > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, bsimon9427@ wrote:
      > > >

      > > > In a message dated 4/23/2006 11:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight
      Time,
      > > > spacghst@ writes:
      > > >
      > > > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
      > > > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
      > > > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that
      the
      > > > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that
      the
      > > > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
      > > > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-
      > > Fi/Horror,
      > > > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be
      possible, but
      > > > each category would have first through third place. A trophy
      > > would be
      > > > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.
      > > >
      > > > Opinions?
      > > >

      > > > works for me

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic