450Re: costume question

  • eve11_girl
    Apr 25, 2006
      Hey Bizarro, you were very funny onstage! :) The anime costumes too
      were really good. I had no idea what the nun, vampire and assasin
      were from, but I did like the "big hat" comment ;)

      I was really impressed with all of the costumes, actually. So many
      different techniques and looks -- the prosthetics for the Vampires,
      the understated but extremely accurate Firefly costumes, the fantastic
      Star Wars outfits: I mean, every one there was just fantastic. I kept
      saying, "Fantastic!" a lot. Top quality. I was Aku from Samauri
      Jack; my friend and I built the costume from scratch last week. I had
      stilts left over from a different costume for D*C 05 and wanted to use
      them again. It was pretty involved to do in a short time but once I
      got the idea it wouldn't let me go. We won 3rd place in the adult
      division; it was a certificate for $10. Two years ago I was Aeryn Sun
      from Farscape-- a more understated costume that took me literally
      MONTHS to sew by hand and build the props and armor elements, plus we
      had a remote controlled DRD too, and I didn't place. C'est la vie.

      (btw, We came late to the show Sunday and I didn't have time to get
      film for my camera -- if anyone has any pictures of Aku, could they
      contact me? (rlweaver at stat dot cmu dot edu) I'd love to see them. )

      I think it would be cool to have a "best in show", "best group", "best
      workmanship", "best performance" style for judging things. I've been
      in a few contests like that, but I think one thing they'd need to do
      is (as was suggested) have people register early and have the judges
      get a good close-up look at the pieces before the stage show, because
      if there's too many categories it might take longer to judge them.
      Another thing is, I've been in contests where on the registration
      sheet you can put notes in terms of how the costume was made.

      I know I'd have hated to be a judge at this contest, because like I
      said, everyone was really stellar.

      -Rhiannon

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, I think if turnout for the contest keeps on growing, they
      > ought to add a couple different prizes at least.
      >
      > And I was Bizarro, BTW. As I started to sweat a bit, I thought
      > maybe I should've powdered my face more. But people seemed to like
      > my outfit fine anyway, which was very flattering.
      >
      > Also, the outfits were all pretty sweet, but I was truly impressed
      > by Chewbacca.
      >

      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, bsimon9427@ wrote:
      > >

      > > In a message dated 4/23/2006 11:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > > spacghst@ writes:
      > >
      > > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
      > > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
      > > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that the
      > > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that the
      > > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
      > > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-
      > Fi/Horror,
      > > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be possible, but
      > > each category would have first through third place. A trophy
      > would be
      > > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.
      > >
      > > Opinions?
      > >

      > > works for me

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic