395Re: [pittscomicon] Re: Artist Sketching.....What Is The Best Way To Obtain One?

  • Matt Plantilla
    Apr 18 3:40 PM
      11" X 14" is a good size for a sketchbook.  Easy to carry around in a bag.  I suggest wirebound, especially if you're leaving the book with artists as it's easier to manage for them.  You don't necessarily have to leave your book with them; they'll often crank it out for you while you watch and talk.  If you're going for something more elaborate, then you could either leave the book or just tear out a page.  Most artists will be able to finish the sketch before you leave, especially if you have to leave by a certain time or day.  If they can't, then you can arrange with the particular artist to have it sent once it's done.

      - matt

      On 4/18/06, marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
      I am gearing up for this weekend's Pittsburgh Comicon and I am going
      to take the suggestion that was offered to me last year, by picking
      up a sketchbook.

      My follow-up question's would be, "What is the perfect Sketch Book
      size to buy? Are there certain sizes that artist's don't like?
      Obviously, you have to leave your sketch book with the artist...How
      do you reclaim it? That weekend? Send it to your address via a Self-
      Adressed Pre-paid envelope?

      Thanks for any help with these additional questions!

      -marveldc1

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com , R Howard <thezeppo1138@...>
      wrote:

      > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
      pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
      Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
      also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
      con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
      time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
      George Perez does a lot of his at night.

      > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
      you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
      probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
      probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
      marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
      artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

      > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
      sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
      small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
      in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
      up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
      if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
      Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
      sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
      sketches though.

      > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
      At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
      where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
      Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
      some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
      artists don't have time to sketch.

      > I hope that helps.
      >
      > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
      > Hello All!
      >
      >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
      > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
      artists
      > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
      that
      > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
      the
      > more difficult to obtain.
      >
      >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
      > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
      in
      > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
      that
      > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
      my
      > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
      favorite
      > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
      for
      > any and all advice!
      >
      > -marveldc1

      Service.

      > Yahoo! Mail
      >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      --
      sh@dy
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic