1886Re: [pittscomicon] this con better be good

  • G.W.
    Feb 15, 2009
      Maybe I'm wrong, but as I understood it, when they brought in Ernie
      Hudson before, rates were raised for the vendors. Regardless though of
      whether or not they had to charge more money to pay for the guy, there
      were significantly less booths the year they had Hudson.

      Just my two cents here. Having bigger names pop culture stars is nice
      and all, but -if- they have to come at the expense of everyone else,
      I'd rather have everyone else.

      On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Joe Patrick <brandysdad_2000@...> wrote:
      > While I can agree that it would be nice to see some higher profile
      > personalities, there will always be a trade off. The more popular a person
      > is, the more their fees to appear, which in turn would lead to less funds
      > being available to get more personalities to attend. The last 2 years the
      > Star Wars actors that have appeared have been Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and
      > last year David Prowse (Darth Vader), hardly actors that had a few seconds
      > of screen time and people that played probably two of the absolute favorite
      > characters in the entire film series.
      >
      > First and foremost, the comicon is just that, a comic convention. It's not
      > exactly a pop culture convention, which is more like what Steel City is
      > closer to. The main purpose is for the artists to get a chance to meet the
      > fans, or for new artists to showcase their wares. The last few years
      > they've had some good names from that genre, George Perez, John Romita Jr.,
      > etc..
      >
      > I agree with you that it would be neat to occasionally see someone of a
      > higher profile, but that would then mean less money to get a wider variety
      > in. Regardless who shows up, I've always had an enjoyable time and met some
      > interesting people.
      >
      > Maybe the powers that be can try to work on getting an actor or two from
      > 'Watchmen' for the con. If they get scheduled before the movie is released
      > it may be possible to get them cheaper then when it comes out if it turns
      > out to be a big hit.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic