1016Re: [pittscomicon] Re: Arrested for 17 year-old murder???

  • R Howard
    Aug 8 6:32 AM
      I could not have said this better.

      I was shocked and sickened when I read this news yesterday, but I'm sure my reaction pales in comparison to what Renee and their seven children are going through, particularly his two daughters to his first wife.  Regardless of the outcome of this case, our thoughts and prayers should certainly be with all of them.

      I have been a customer, and more importantly a friend of Mike's and Renee's since they opened their Windber store in 1993.  I've vacationed with them, babysat their children and for the last 12 years helped them run the Pittsburgh Comicon.  In all that time, there is not a single incident, comment or experience I could point to that would make me suspect Mike was capable of something like this.  In my experience he has been a loving family man, an upstanding and involved member of the community, and a good friend.

      I'm obviously very curious what evidence and/or testimony has come to light to cause the police to move on this after 17 years, but I certainly hope it is all a mistake.  Unless he would confess to the crime, or is proven guilty in a court of law, I choose to believe Mike is innocent, but I do hope Barbara's killer is eventually brought to justice.

      No, I don't know what this holds for the future of the convention, and I don't think any of us will for quite a while.  Obviously this will be very damaging to Mike's reputation even if he is eventually aquitted.  I hope it's not the end of the Comicon, but it's difficult to imagine Renee running the show by herself, even with the support of the staff.  Let's all think positive thoughts and hope for the best.

      norvandell <BIG_BOOTE@...> wrote:
      I've been sick to my tummy all day. Whats shocking for me, is just
      last Wednesday, I was talking to Mike at the store while trading old
      comics and discussing the downfall of another dealer from Altoona.

      I have been a guest at the con since the second year and have gotten
      closer to the family over the years and just can not believe that this
      has happened. Its not for them to discuss their past and why they
      moved to Windbur. I really don't need to know. What I do know is that
      for the last 15 years they have been good people and friendly to me
      and they have my full support.

      But its hard to imagine what Mike is going through right now. I saw
      his mug shot on tv tonight, and I saw the look of utter devistation in
      his face. It hurts to see that look in someone.

      They have done right by me and all of us for that matter. I hope in
      some way that the con will still go on, and if it does, I will be at
      my booth. So please do me a favor and don't pass any judgement. Keep
      any negative comments to yourselves. If you can't, then stay out of
      the group.