"Aging" my tobacco?

  • switcherjoe
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      Quite often I open a tin of tobacco, smoke one bowlful, and think "it's AWFUL".
      So I put it in a shallow pan, spray liberally with distilled water, and put it in front
      of a heated fan just long enough that it is fairly dry. That's how I like my tobacco,
      anyway.

      The result often is that I really enjoy the next pipe,and the ones following.
      Apparently I have "blown off" a substantial amount of topping; but am I "aging"
      it at the same time?

      As examples, I did this with at least three different Sutliffe blends: BRG, CD,
      and another, whose name I can't recall, Golden -------.

      (Howard, do you have a favorite tobacconis in Oregon, somewhere near I-5?)

      thanks, all, JR, on the road, again
    • JohnO
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        Not aging, no. Possibly a slight bit of toasting. The tobacco aging process is dependent upon actions of both aerobic and anaerobic microbes upon the tobacco.

        --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "switcherjoe" <twojrs@...> wrote:

        > Quite often I open a tin of tobacco, smoke one bowlful, and think "it's AWFUL".
        > So I put it in a shallow pan, spray liberally with distilled water, and put it in front
        > of a heated fan just long enough that it is fairly dry. That's how I like my tobacco,
        > anyway.
        >
        > The result often is that I really enjoy the next pipe,and the ones following.
        > Apparently I have "blown off" a substantial amount of topping; but am I "aging"
        > it at the same time?
        >
        > As examples, I did this with at least three different Sutliffe blends: BRG, CD,
        > and another, whose name I can't recall, Golden -------.
        >
        > (Howard, do you have a favorite tobacconis in Oregon, somewhere near I-5?)
        >
        > thanks, all, JR, on the road, again

      • Joe H
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
          Not aging it, per se, except for the time you have it under the fan.  But, you are somewhat flue curing, in a sense.  Normal flue curing may last longer in the processors way of doing it.

          Joe H

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
            Thank you, Joe and John, for your comments. Can't beat the testimony
            of two "experts"!
            Better to "toast" in the hobby room, doors shut, than to try it in
            HER oven<VBG>.
            JR
            On Mar 1, 2012, at 8:51 AM, JohnO wrote:

            > Not aging, no. Possibly a slight bit of toasting. The tobacco aging
            > process is dependent upon actions of both aerobic and anaerobic
            > microbes upon the tobacco.

          • Howard M.Davis
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
              No. I get all mine over the internet, for now at least. There was one shop here in Astoria that had very little, mostly a magazine shop. It likely was a a better tobacco shop a few decades ago. It has since closed. I think Iv'e seen less than ten pipe smokers here in the past eleven years. I would have thought Astoria was a pipe smokers haven and it probably was maney years ago.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
                Thanks, Howard, for the info. We'll be east of Portland on I-205 S,
                and it looks like Cascade Tobacco is our best bet.
                By the time this is over, I might have more dogs than you. . . . . JR

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
                  We have 10 Boston Terrors and 4 puppies. Or as I like to call them tobacco on the hoof/

                  --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Raymaker <twojrs@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks, Howard, for the info. We'll be east of Portland on I-205 S,
                  > and it looks like Cascade Tobacco is our best bet.
                  > By the time this is over, I might have more dogs than you. . . . . JR
                  > On Mar 1, 2012, at 2:50 PM, Howard M.Davis wrote:
                  >
                  > > No. I get all mine over the internet, for now at least. There was
                  > > one shop here in Astoria that had very little, mostly a magazine
                  > > shop. It likely was a a better tobacco shop a few decades ago. It
                  > > has since closed. I think Iv'e seen less than ten pipe smokers here
                  > > in the past eleven years. I would have thought Astoria was a pipe
                  > > smokers haven and it probably was maney years ago.
                  > >
                  > > > (Howard, do you have a favorite tobacconis in Oregon, somewhere
                  > > near I-5?)
                  > > >
                  > > > thanks, all, JR, on the road, again

                • Gerald Going
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
                    The same here, pipe smoking has a few people enjoying it. Just do not see pipe smokers anymore.