YPSC Dottle, 8-1-2011

  • JohnO
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
      Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.

      Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit but sometimes from pristine briar.

      I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?
    • Raymaker
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
        O, August Leader!

        I bought a kit from the folks up in NE US and fashioned a Poker. I
        used a bench sander for a LOT of the carving,
        then some of those new-fangled sanding sponges from Home Depot, etc.
        Yes, I would do it again, as it turned out
        much better than the cheapo pipes I usually buy. Can't remember what
        happened to it; probably e-Bay, for some
        stupid reason. I opened the kit, "carved" it, and was smoking in the
        space of an evening, dust EVERYWHERE.

        Sometimes I open the whole in the stem, very carefully. I have
        increased the chamber on a couple of pipes, as I really
        like 7/8 ths inch chamber. Dremel tool, VERY carefully. Tinkering
        is one of my vices; I forget the other one.

        JR
        On Aug 1, 2011, at 7:29 AM, JohnO wrote:

        > Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.
        >
        > Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it
        > does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit
        > but sometimes from pristine briar.
        >
        > I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If
        > you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to
        > encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?
        >
        > ,_._,___

      • Earl Schube
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
          I have always wanted too but for some reason never have. I restore many an
          old pipe and have the tools, I may have to give it a go this winter. Too ht
          right now to work in my garage on one.

          Earl

          On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Raymaker <twojrs@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > O, August Leader!
          >
          > I bought a kit from the folks up in NE US and fashioned a Poker. I
          > used a bench sander for a LOT of the carving,
          > then some of those new-fangled sanding sponges from Home Depot, etc.
          > Yes, I would do it again, as it turned out
          > much better than the cheapo pipes I usually buy. Can't remember what
          > happened to it; probably e-Bay, for some
          > stupid reason. I opened the kit, "carved" it, and was smoking in the
          > space of an evening, dust EVERYWHERE.
          >
          > Sometimes I open the whole in the stem, very carefully. I have
          > increased the chamber on a couple of pipes, as I really
          > like 7/8 ths inch chamber. Dremel tool, VERY carefully. Tinkering
          > is one of my vices; I forget the other one.
          >
          > JR
          >
          > On Aug 1, 2011, at 7:29 AM, JohnO wrote:
          >
          > > Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.
          > >
          > > Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it
          > > does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit
          > > but sometimes from pristine briar.
          > >
          > > I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If
          > > you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to
          > > encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?
          > >
          > > ,_._,___

          Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I
          repeat myself.

          -- Mark Twain

        • Ed & Nancy Duncan
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
            Interesting dottle John. Looking forward to seeing replies. In my case, tools are NOT my friend. My hand-eye coordination is awful so gonna have to pass. No, never an interest in making my own pipe.

            Ed Duncan, Batavia, NY
            pipe since '62, this fine forum's resident village idiot
            **********************************

            Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.

            Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit but sometimes from pristine briar.

            I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?

          • Joe H
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
              This is the easiest Dottle to answer.  None

              Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.

              Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit but sometimes from pristine briar.

              I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?

            • WilliamO
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
                I've made a few. They were all decent smokes. Only one did I make from a briar 'kit', I had to buy it simply because the grain was incredible as was the knarly top. It made a wonderful pipe. Others that I've made have been different woods than briar....a couple of cherry, and a couple from woods that I can't recall now. The kit briar was the only one that was predrilled. The others I drilled. To this day, after drilling mine, I can't figure out how some professionals manage to somehow drill these long or strongly curved stems. It defies logic. I've usually drilled the stem to a point where it would lie at the bottom of the bowl, THEN I drill the bowl taking it to just where the two drillings intersect. It works nicely that way.

                I have some Osage orange wood here to make a pipe from, and several other blanks where I should be able to get several pipes from...when I can find the time.

                bill

                --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "JohnO" <jkofferdahl@...> wrote:

                > Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.
                >
                > Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit but sometimes from pristine briar.
                >
                > I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?

              • Howard M.Davis
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
                  I once made a pipe out of Manzanita but it was no work of art. It smoked alright tho.

                  --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Ed & Nancy Duncan" <eduncan74@...> wrote:

                  > Interesting dottle John. Looking forward to seeing replies. In my case, tools are NOT my friend. My hand-eye coordination is awful so gonna have to pass. No, never an interest in making my own pipe.
                  >
                  > Ed Duncan, Batavia, NY
                  > pipe since '62, this fine forum's resident village idiot
                  > **********************************

                • Jud Cole
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2011
                    I'm with you on that one,Ed!

                    ________________________________

                    Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.

                    Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit but sometimes from pristine briar.

                    I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?

                  • Jeffery Suter
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2011
                      Excellent dottle John, as usual...

                      A bunch of years back I bought a predrilled kit from Pimo. The pipe came out fantastic so I spent the next few years building up a proper workshop. So I guess the answer is yes, I actually put quite a bit of time and money into making pipes. Unfortunately, when my wife became unemployed about 3 years ago, I kind of had to put it on the side to concentrate on my career (I am the Senior Art Director of Marvel Comics, so you can image how busy we have been over the last few years.) My part time music career also really took off over the last few years (I actually played 26 shows last year).

                      So, while I haven't been actively producing pipes as I used to, I will at some point get back to it. If you would like to see some of my work you can check out http://rippingbrook.com

                      Best-
                      Jeff
                      http://hardcoverrocks.net

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2011
                        That was of course supposed to be http://ripplingbrook.com

                        Doh...

                        Best-
                        Jeff
                        http://hardcoverrocks.net

                        ________________________________

                        Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.

                        Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit but sometimes from pristine briar.

                        I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2011
                          Hey,

                          My son got a pure block that was pre-drilled. Without the proper tools, I presume a lathe or dremel tool, it didn't work out very well. We could have filed and filed 'til the cows came home, the block needed to be trimmed a lot more to take excess weight out of the bowl.

                          So, my experience wasn't that pleasant.

                          Been a while since I posted a Dottle. I think it's time.

                          Sometimes the creative urge combines with our pipe hobby. When it does, pipe smokers may try to carve their own, usually from a kit but sometimes from pristine briar.

                          I wonder how many have tried, and if they used pre-drilled kits. If you have tried, how did your pipe come out? Was it enough to encourage you to carve again, and if so how many have you now carved?

                        • Al
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2, 2011
                            Nope, and I can say that I am not all that tempted to do a pipe from scratch. I can have enough cutting a 2X4 to fit, and they generally don't require the degree of precision that a pipe would require.

                            However, some of my restorations have been forced into being rather "extensive", and the results only bore a small resemblance to the starting point. LOL But that was by necessity, not by design. And it can amaze me what can be hidden under the stain of a pipe, and more than one has had me throwing up my hands in surrender when I found out how extensive the fills are or how misaligned the drilling is. I am not prepared to re-drill, and luckily can afford to forget about pipes that I find the putty to briar ratio is too high. :-) If nothing else the latter make good "yard" pipes.

                            "Clumsy Al" (in Canada)