What's with Samuel Gawith stuff?

  • campbellajc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
      Nobody seems to have Sam Gawith stuff in stock here in the States. Did they lose their distributor? Pullout of the American market? Anybody know?
    • shootist51
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
        This has been an ongoing problem for close to a year now. It seems that a dramatic increase in consumption led to a drought of product, which was exacerbated by production problems, resulting in a disruption of supply that caused bulk consumption of available shipments that led to a drought of supply.

        Word is, it's coming, but no one knows when. If there is a e-tailer that you have established an account with you might see about getting on his/her waiting list...or...check out similar blends by others. I have found that many of the McClelland virginias make a suitable replacement for FVF, I have particularly enjoyed several of the Christmas Cheer vintages as well as Virginia #27. GL Pease Union Station and Montgomery have also been a real treat.

        I am sure others can make recommendations and you can go to Tobaccorevies.com, look up most blends and find a reference to similar blends.
        Good Luck

        --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "campbellajc" <campbellajc@...> wrote:

        > Nobody seems to have Sam Gawith stuff in stock here in the States. Did they lose their distributor? Pullout of the American market? Anybody know?

      • Jud Cole
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2010
          Thanks, Shootist.

          I discovered this when I wanted to add some more Best Brown Flake to my cellar. I'm smoking 5 year old BBF now, and have a goodly number of tins in there, but wanted to increase my stash. I guess I'll just have to wait to add to it.

          Jud

          This has been an ongoing problem for close to a year now. It seems that a dramatic increase in consumption led to a drought of product, which was exacerbated by production problems, resulting in a disruption of supply that caused bulk consumption of available shipments that led to a drought of supply.

          Word is, it's coming, but no one knows when. If there is a e-tailer that you have established an account with you might see about getting on his/her waiting list...or...check out similar blends by others. I have found that many of the McClelland virginias make a suitable replacement for FVF, I have particularly enjoyed several of the Christmas Cheer vintages as well as Virginia #27. GL Pease Union Station and Montgomery have also been a real treat.

          I am sure others can make recommendations and you can go to Tobaccorevies.com, look up most blends and find a reference to similar blends.

          Good Luck

          --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "campbellajc" <campbellajc@...> wrote:

          > Nobody seems to have Sam Gawith stuff in stock here in the States. Did they lose their distributor? Pullout of the American market? Anybody know?

        • Mark H
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2010
            [ NEW DAY, NEW LOCATION, FREE PIPES FOR ALL !! ….]

            Starting this weekend (Sunday, Nov. 7 to be
            precise) The Peninsula Pipe Club will be meeting at a new location:

            Edward's Pipes and Tobacco
            http://www.edwardspipelosaltos.com/

            from their web page:

            4546 El Camino Real, Los Altos, CA.
            We are in the Village Court Shopping Center
            facing San Antonio Rd.
            Phone: 650-948-7473

            We will also be back to meeting on SUNDAY, our
            traditional meeting day, from 2:00 to 5:00.

            Thanks greatly to Flip for hosting us, and opening on Sunday just for us.

            I know this is the Las Vegas show weekend, but at
            least there is a place to meet for those people
            with more sense than money (as opposed to people
            who fly 500 miles to buy more pipe they don't
            need, who have more money than sense.)

            BTW, I will be in Las Vegas, so I will catch up next month.

            Mark

            The P.P.C. is an informal organization that has
            no charter, officers, agenda, or dues. Just good
            fellowship, useful information, and the occasional pipe trade.

            Oh… the free pipes? ­ that was LAST month. Sorry
            you missed it. But Flip will be happy to sell you
            a pipe from the store. Lots of good tobacco choices too.

            For more information email: PPC@...