Re: [Pipe smokers] New tobacco

  • Howard M. Davis
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2008
      I forgot to mention the virginia that has enough body for me to want
      to smoke it all the time, Full Virginia Flake. Among the virginias
      I've had it is the one that has some oomph to it, and lots of thick
      smoke.

      --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Howard M. Davis" <sierra60@...>
      wrote:

      > The one pet peeve I have with virginias is that if you've smoked one
      > you've smoked them all. Well almost. I stumbled across Signature
      > Blend by happy accident. I was shopping for tobacco and some place
      > had it on sale so I bought two. After lighting up the first bowl I
      > realized I should have ordered a boxcar of it. I currently working os
      > some well aged Marlin Flake and it stands on it's own also. Since it
      > is my last half pint I'm working on it very slowly. Usually have a
      > bowl of it for my first smoke on the way to work. It seems to go well
      > with looking at the forest on the way there. Last year it was some
      > aged HOTW and it also took a long time to finish for the same reason.
      > These three are definately at the head of the class for virginias.
      >
      > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <cdk12us@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Joe hit one of my favorites here - Benjamin Hartwell's Signature
      > > Blend. Another great VA, IMHO, is McClelland Christmas Cheer. I've
      > > been puffing on the 2006 version with excellent results. Of course,
      > > you also need to try Rattray's Hal 'O the Wynd, Marlin Flake and Old
      > > Gowrie.
      > >
      > > If you want to spice it up a little, try something with perique -
      > > like McC St. James Woods. Also, Dunhill Royal Yacht is worth a try -
      > > it is my everyday smoke.
      > >
      > > Best,
      > > Craig
      > > Sunza Bitches (3/07) in a Pete
      > >

      > > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Joe H <periquefreak2003@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Perhaps MacBarens Scottish Mixture or Scottish Type would interest
      > > you. Or Benjamin Hartwell's Signature Mixture.
      > > >
      > > > Joe H
      > > >
      > > > Aaron Berwick <aaronbtxnc@> wrote:
      > > > MacBaren's VA #1 is my all day long tobacco, too. Absolutely love
      > > it. Would also like to know if anyone has suggestions for something
      > > similar. I am currenty also smoking some of the Orlik Golden Sliced,
      > > which is okay, but to me lacks something. I got an older tin on eBay
      > > (for collecting purposes of course but it somehow got opened?) and I
      > > really enjoyed it better than the fresh so I've got a few tins of
      > > that put back in the "cellar" to try again in a few months. I have
      > > tried Dunhill's Light Flake and really don't care for it, too earthy
      > > or dirty or musty or something.
      > > >
      > > > Smoke in peace, not a piece,
      > > > Aaron

    • Jud Cole
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2008
        I've got one from '05. It may be older then that - I found Signature at one of those bulk cigarette/ cigar humidor joints that had started selling some pipes & tobacco. They had 3 tins of Signature at $4.99. Bought one - smoked enough to know I had a winner - went back and bought the other two, one of which I cellared. This was May of '05.
        Next year is when I start withdrawing from my cellar. I started in '04 - so there are tins of Red Ribbon and Best Brown flake in there from then. Should be fun.
        Jud

        Ted DeWitt <ted5310@...> wrote: Interesting you should say that. I looked at my inventory list and
        somewhere in my cellar I have 2 tins from '04. I gotta find those!!!

        Ted DeWitt

        --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Jud Cole <campbellajc@...> wrote:

        > I will have to look and see how old my oldest tins are. Gotta be at
        least 18 months. Maybe time to haul one out.

        > Jud
        >
        > Ted DeWitt <ted5310@...> wrote: I
        have some at 3-6-9 and 12 months. It is one of my regulars, so

      • meerorbriar
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
          Jud, is that some of the stuff we got at Paul's Pipe Shop? I've
          enjoyed the tin I opened.

          Happy puffin'
          Meer

        • Jud Cole
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
            No, Meer, I had some stuff from before that trip to Paul's.
            Signature is always yummy, for sure. Don't think I have any in the "I haven't got around to smoking it yet" box - only in the cellar. Might have to do something about that.

            Jud

            meerorbriar <meerorbriar@...> wrote: Jud, is that some of the stuff we got at Paul's Pipe Shop? I've
            enjoyed the tin I opened.

            Happy puffin'
            Meer

          • Ted DeWitt
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
              Now that was a great find. Good for you!!

            • Jud Cole
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
                It was great.
                These guys are trying to move a bit into th pipe world. I think they may have more stuff at other stores, but this one is small. They don't carry much, and I'm not sure they have a lot of pipe traffic.
                I stop there because I am in the neighborhood periodically. Their cigar selection is good, but overpriced. They have one section of brands or sizes they are discontinuing, where they sell at 50% of their normal price. This means you might get the cigar at or below MSRP.
                Jud

                Ted DeWitt <ted5310@...> wrote: Now that was a great find. Good for you!!

              • Joe Joe
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
                  This will be the second deal that I have finalized with Pipestud and am very happy to report my complete satisfaction once again. I highly recommend his professional online auctions as I never doubt wheather or not I will be a completely satisfied customer.

                  Full Marks

                • Steve Fallon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
                    Thanks for the plug, Joe Joe.... Enjoy!

                    Best,
                    Pipestud

                    --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Joe <vethol@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > those!!!
                    > >
                    > > Ted DeWitt
                    > >
                    > > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Jud Cole <campbellajc@>
                    wrote:

                    > > > I will have to look and see how old my oldest tins are. Gotta
                    be
                    > at
                    > > least 18 months. Maybe time to haul one out.
                    > > >
                    > > > Jud
                    > > >
                    > > > Ted DeWitt <ted5310@> wrote: I
                    > > have some at 3-6-9 and 12 months. It is one of my regulars, so
                    > > > this way I always have some 'cookin'. I just pick up some when
                    > > > empty a tin and put it in the back of the line.
                    > > >
                    > > > Ted DeWitt
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Jud Cole <campbellajc@>

                    > tins
                    > > > aging in my cellar now.

                    > I'll
                    > > > second the Hartwell. With a little age it is wonderful.

                  • Gary Zwieg
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
                      --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Joe <vethol@...> wrote:

                      > This will be the second deal that I have finalized with Pipestud and
                      am very happy to report my complete satisfaction once again. I highly
                      recommend his professional online auctions as I never doubt wheather or
                      not I will be a completely satisfied customer.

                      > Full Marks
                      >
                      > Jud Cole <campbellajc@...> wrote:
                      > It was great.

                      I won an auction on Ebay recently that gave me my first pipe from the
                      STUD. I am very pleased. Let's keep this a secret bewteen us though,
                      as the more people that know about his great offers will only increase
                      the competition :)

                      Gary
                    • Steve Fallon
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                        Thanks too, for your business, Gary.

                        And yeah, I'd really hate to have more bidders on my auctions. (-;

                        Best,
                        Pipestud

                        --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Zwieg" <G_Zwieg@...>