Re: [Pipe smokers] Re: Ebay Feedback Etiquette Question?

  • Monte Peru
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 1 11:46 AM
      The buyers obligation is completed when they pay and deserve feedback at that time.

      shakespearedirector <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Berwick <aaronbtxnc@...>
      wrote:
      > [...] Does anyone else out there agree with me? Or am I
      > really that far off base? I just asked my co-worker across
      > the cubicle and he seems to agree with Steve. [...]

      Welcome to the group, Aaron. As a general rule, the seller should
      leave feedback before the buyer.

      Professor

    • Joe H
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 1 2:01 PM
        Aaron, I can understand where you stand. The type of "contract" between buyer and seller is that the buyer pay for the item won, and the seller ships the item paid for. The feedback is not part of that "contract". There are some ebay guidelines for fulfilling the "contract", and a recommendation that feedback be used to give OTHER buyers/sellers some information they can screen on potential transactions. At least, that is the way I understand it.

        Joe H

        Aaron <aaronbtxnc@...> wrote:
        I don't know if I consider it blackmail or not, I've definitely never
        thought of it that way before reading this and all the responses. I
        am a very frequent buyer on eBay and have started selling a bit more
        frequently now, but have never left feedback as a seller until the
        buyer has posted it, but as soon as they do I reciprocate. I believe
        part of the eBay transaction is feedback and THE BUYER HAS NOT DONE
        ALL OF THEIR PART UNTIL THEY HAVE LEFT FEEDBACK. I am proud of my
        feedback score and want it to be better, so I want every buyer to
        leave me positive IF I DESERVE IT. If I have made an error in listing
        a pipe, I ask that the buyer contact me and give me a chance to work
        it out. If they were to leave me negative feedback where I felt I had
        been totally honest in the listing (as I always try to do), then I
        very likely would leave negative in response due to their lack of
        courtesy, if for no other reason (If you are not pleased with a
        purchase the proper thing to do is to first send an email to the
        seller explaining the situation, this should normally be enough, if
        the seller is not cooperative, that is when feedback should be left,
        but NEVER before at least trying to communicate with the other
        party).

        There is no reason for suprise shipping charges. Every auction should
        have shipping charges listed or calculatable. If not, send the seller
        an email BEFORE bidding and ask (and save the response). If you know
        beforehand what the shipping charges will be (as you always should
        before bidding) there should be no need for negative feedback. I
        always find out what shipping is before bidding, subtract that from
        what I'm willing to pay, then bid that amount. I'm never surprised by
        shipping charges, I have bid on pipes with $10 shipping charges
        (which I think is ridiculous) but take that $10 in to account when
        placing my bid, if it's a cob it's not worth it, if it's a pristine
        Nordh, well, you should get the picture by now. I do remember when
        it's time for detailed feedback that's anonymous though. If I was
        charged more than about $1.50 over actual shipping for packing and
        handling I leave that one about the middle, I expect buyers to do the
        same to me. I charge actual shipping plus $1.25 to cover materials,
        gas to the post office, etc. and expect the same of others, but you
        damn well better not charge me $4 over actual for just a plain
        manilla envelope!

        As far as feedback as a buyer, I leave it as soon as I receive and
        visually inspect the pipe to make sure it's as described. Regardless
        of whether or not the seller has left feedback. I leave feedback for
        the seller and then remove the item from my homepage. As a seller, I
        wait for feedback from the buyer, reciprocate, then delete it from my
        homepage, if I never get feedback from the buyer, they never get
        feedback from me because they haven't finished their part of the
        transaction. That's my 2 cents worth, sorry it was so long.

        By the way, just found and joined this group today. Looking forward
        to many interesting hours reading and responding!

        Aaronbtxnc

        Yahoo! Groups Links