Re: [Pipe smokers] Question..No ethics required.

  • Christopher Brunton
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
      I haven't had old dublin in years. but I do remember I liked it quite
      a bit. Of course, then sobranie stepped in. (and, unfortunately,
      stepped out again....though I can get it in Italy). When I want an
      English I smoke mostly things that aren't. Over the top latakia blends
      like Larry's blend, Ironsides, Nightcap, Pirate Cake, etc. Think I'll
      revisit Old Dublin. I've been reading the reviews lately, and I think
      it's time. Thanks for mentioning it.....now...

      back to friday night fights!

      -loose

      --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Jud Cole <campbellajc@...> wrote:

      > Loose.
      > SL is one of my two go-to-smoke-it-any-time English blends - the
      other is Old Dublin, which is my fave. Any time I want an easy-going
      English blend, I can reach for one of those and be a happy man.
      > Jud
      >
      > Christopher Brunton <loosewatches@...> wrote:

      > I've been smoking the hell out of Gawith's Squadron Leader lately.
      > It's really growing on me. This stuff is a great
      > just-under-middle-weight (what's that in boxing terms?) English. I
      > think it's perfectly balanced and there have been a couple days where
      > it is all I've smoked. Nicotine is light enough to make it the
      > perfect 'at work' smoke. --Yes, I can smoke at work--Ha!
      >
      > So, I'm just wondering what my fellow Yahoos think of SL....
      >
      > -loose
      >
      > p.s. Anyone know why it costs $30.75 a pound, but $63.46 for two at
      > Mars? I'm pretty good at math but......

    • Jud Cole
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
        And I like the over the top latakia blends too. OD & SL are for the times when I want latakia and don't want over the top.
        Enjoy the OD - my fave of the Petersons.
        Jud

        Christopher Brunton <loosewatches@...> wrote: I haven't had old dublin in years. but I do remember I liked it quite
        a bit. Of course, then sobranie stepped in. (and, unfortunately,
        stepped out again....though I can get it in Italy). When I want an
        English I smoke mostly things that aren't. Over the top latakia blends
        like Larry's blend, Ironsides, Nightcap, Pirate Cake, etc. Think I'll
        revisit Old Dublin. I've been reading the reviews lately, and I think
        it's time. Thanks for mentioning it.....now...

        back to friday night fights!

        -loose

        --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Jud Cole <campbellajc@...> wrote:

        > Loose.
        > SL is one of my two go-to-smoke-it-any-time English blends - the
        other is Old Dublin, which is my fave. Any time I want an easy-going
        English blend, I can reach for one of those and be a happy man.
        > Jud
        >
        > Christopher Brunton <loosewatches@...> wrote:

        > I've been smoking the hell out of Gawith's Squadron Leader lately.
        > It's really growing on me. This stuff is a great
        > just-under-middle-weight (what's that in boxing terms?) English. I
        > think it's perfectly balanced and there have been a couple days where
        > it is all I've smoked. Nicotine is light enough to make it the
        > perfect 'at work' smoke. --Yes, I can smoke at work--Ha!
        >
        > So, I'm just wondering what my fellow Yahoos think of SL....
        >
        > -loose
        >
        > p.s. Anyone know why it costs $30.75 a pound, but $63.46 for two at
        > Mars? I'm pretty good at math but......

      • mel51us
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
          I have to go along with Jud on this one. Old Dublin and Squadron
          Leader are two of my favorites, also.
          I mixed some Squadron Leader with some Early Morning Pipe a few
          months ago. IMHO, the best of both blends was enhanced. I may buy a
          pound of each and mix them again.
          However, I have to say that Old Dublin is my favorite blend, followed
          very closely by Sherlock Holmes and Irish oak, both from Peterson's.

          Happy Puffing

          Mel (mel51us)

          wrote:

          > I've been smoking the hell out of Gawith's Squadron Leader lately.
          > It's really growing on me. This stuff is a great
          > just-under-middle-weight (what's that in boxing terms?) English. I
          > think it's perfectly balanced and there have been a couple days
          where
          > it is all I've smoked. Nicotine is light enough to make it the
          > perfect 'at work' smoke. --Yes, I can smoke at work--Ha!
          >
          > So, I'm just wondering what my fellow Yahoos think of SL....
          >
          > -loose
          >
          > p.s. Anyone know why it costs $30.75 a pound, but $63.46 for two at
          > Mars? I'm pretty good at math but......

        • pufdragn63
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
            Hey Chris,

            I've only smoaked tinned Squadron Leader (i.e. not the bulk) but I
            quite like it.

            However I do find it a little harsh toward the bottom of the bowl
            compared to my current Latakia favourite - Frog Morton.

            If you like mid range Latakias, the Frog is well worth a try too.

            Cheers from Oz,

            Michael.

            --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Brunton"