Re: [Pipe smokers] A bowl a day per pipe...

  • Joe Joe
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi all. I agree that the same pipe can be smoked more than once a day. I do it all the time esp my Meers. I basically smoke HOTW most if not all the time and have 7 pipes dedicated to that blend alone. I do however run a pipe cleaner through the mouthpiece before I load another bowl. After a day of smoking, the pipe will rest for at least a week. Works for me

      ML <mlhillard@...> wrote: Tim--sorry one more thing from the old man here...a "day" for me could be one in morning and then same pipe in evening...it often happens when out and about. The pipes do just fine; .
      Bests...
      ML. [z3keeper]

      Tim <campstertim@...> wrote:
      Many people recommend that you only use your pipe once in a 24 hour
      period to allow the moisture that's absorbed into the briar and cake to
      evaporate.

      I was just curious how many people followed that rule. And for
      you "all day smokers", do you switch pipes every hour to do this?

      I am virtually a brand new smoker, owning 2 decent and one junk pipe.
      So, following this, I'd only be able to smoke 3 bowls a day, and
      sometimes I crave more.

      Whadda ya all think?

      Tim

    • Jud Cole
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        I will smoke no more than 2 bowls in one pipe, over at most 2 days, before resting the pipe for a week or more.
        Cobs of course are a different story.
        Jud

        "Howard M. Davis" <sierra60@...> wrote: This morning I had two or three back to back bowls in one pipe. When
        I went to work I took a different pipe and so far have had at least
        three bowls in it. Some days I'll smoke the same pipe all day other
        times I'll switch every bowl. Works for me and likely for lots of
        others too.

        --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <campstertim@...> wrote:

        > Many people recommend that you only use your pipe once in a 24 hour
        > period to allow the moisture that's absorbed into the briar and cake to
        > evaporate.
        >
        > I was just curious how many people followed that rule. And for
        > you "all day smokers", do you switch pipes every hour to do this?
        >
        > I am virtually a brand new smoker, owning 2 decent and one junk pipe.
        > So, following this, I'd only be able to smoke 3 bowls a day, and
        > sometimes I crave more.
        >
        > Whadda ya all think?
        >
        > Tim

      • Ted Weidner
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
          Tim
          You should be made aware of the fact that Pipestud has only smoked
          his pipe to the bottom once in his life. His normal routine is to
          smoke a half a bowl and then dump it so he's really only smoking the
          top half of his pipe. Thus YMMV.
          LOL
          Ted

          --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Fallon" <stbjfallon@...>
          wrote:

          > Howdy Tim,
          >
          > I will smoke the heck out of one pipe (3-5 bowls) in one day. After
          > each bowl I simply twist a paper towel down to the bottom and then
          > an hour later, reload. I'll then let that pipe rest a few days
          > before giving it another workout.
          >
          > Rule of thumb though, with all things being equal, the longer you
          > can rest a pipe between smokes the better. IMO, of course.
          >
          > Best,
          > Pipestud
          >
          > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <campstertim@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Many people recommend that you only use your pipe once in a 24
          > hour
          > > period to allow the moisture that's absorbed into the briar and
          > cake to
          > > evaporate.
          > >
          > > I was just curious how many people followed that rule. And for
          > > you "all day smokers", do you switch pipes every hour to do this?
          > >
          > > I am virtually a brand new smoker, owning 2 decent and one junk
          > pipe.
          > > So, following this, I'd only be able to smoke 3 bowls a day, and
          > > sometimes I crave more.
          > >
          > > Whadda ya all think?
          > >
          > > Tim

        • Jon Trotter
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
            --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <campstertim@...> wrote:

            > Many people recommend that you only use your pipe once in a 24 hour
            > period to allow the moisture that's absorbed into the briar and
            cake to
            > evaporate.
            >
            > I was just curious how many people followed that rule. And for
            > you "all day smokers", do you switch pipes every hour to do this?
            >
            > I am virtually a brand new smoker, owning 2 decent and one junk
            pipe.
            > So, following this, I'd only be able to smoke 3 bowls a day, and
            > sometimes I crave more.
            >
            > Whadda ya all think?
            >
            > Tim

            Howdy Tim and welcome to our little group of puffers. All of the
            above responses you have received are of value and all indicate that
            it is entirely up to your personal tastes and the smoking habits you
            develope. I will only add that some pipes will tell you when they
            have had enough. I have pipes that can be smoked bowl after bowl for
            a day or longer. Others are ready for a rest after only a couple
            bowls. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with shape, brand, cost,
            age or material (meer or briar) and, of course, this too is
            subjective. Cheers, Jon
          • Christopher Brunton
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
              Looks like I'm in Pipestud's boat on this one. (Does that mean I'm in
              a Royal Yacht?) I'll smoke a pipe usually up to four times a day and
              use two or three different pipes a day. I often smoke quite
              constantly. The main difference being that I use a tiny little nylon
              bottle brush type thingy (1/4 inch diameter) to keep the cake clean.

              I highly recommend wiping out the bowl after each smoke (a pipe
              cleaner, too) as it'll keep your cake clean, firm, and trim. Much like
              a fine ass. (Sorry, but it's true)

              -loose

              wrote:

              > Howdy Tim,
              >
              > I will smoke the heck out of one pipe (3-5 bowls) in one day. After
              > each bowl I simply twist a paper towel down to the bottom and then
              > an hour later, reload. I'll then let that pipe rest a few days
              > before giving it another workout.
              >
              > Rule of thumb though, with all things being equal, the longer you
              > can rest a pipe between smokes the better. IMO, of course.
              >
              > Best,
              > Pipestud
              >
              > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <campstertim@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Many people recommend that you only use your pipe once in a 24
              > hour
              > > period to allow the moisture that's absorbed into the briar and
              > cake to
              > > evaporate.
              > >
              > > I was just curious how many people followed that rule. And for
              > > you "all day smokers", do you switch pipes every hour to do this?
              > >
              > > I am virtually a brand new smoker, owning 2 decent and one junk
              > pipe.
              > > So, following this, I'd only be able to smoke 3 bowls a day, and
              > > sometimes I crave more.
              > >
              > > Whadda ya all think?
              > >
              > > Tim

            • shakespearedirector
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <campstertim@...> wrote:
                > Many people recommend that you only use your pipe once
                > in a 24 hour period to allow the moisture that's absorbed
                > into the briar and cake to evaporate. [...]

                I often smoke two to three bowls in the same pipe on the same day. Use
                a pipe cleaner between bowls. You will be fine if you smoke without
                abuse to the pipe.

                Professor
              • pufdragn63
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Aww gee, Tim, looks like you NEED a few more pipes LOL!!

                  I have around 30 now, so smoaking one per bowl per day per pipe is
                  easy. But when I was starting out I had only two pipes and I smoaked
                  one pipe per day - 3-4 bowls a day - and alternated both of them.

                  Don't stress about it too much, just enjoy smoaking what you have
                  until you can afford another one...and another one...and...

                  Tell your wife they're just the same as shoes and handbags.

                  Michael

                  --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <campstertim@...> wrote:

                  > Many people recommend that you only use your pipe once in a 24 hour
                  > period to allow the moisture that's absorbed into the briar and cake to
                  > evaporate.
                  >
                  > I was just curious how many people followed that rule. And for
                  > you "all day smokers", do you switch pipes every hour to do this?
                  >
                  > I am virtually a brand new smoker, owning 2 decent and one junk pipe.
                  > So, following this, I'd only be able to smoke 3 bowls a day, and
                  > sometimes I crave more.
                  >
                  > Whadda ya all think?
                  >
                  > Tim

                • meerorbriar
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
                    What do you do if your wife isn't a shoes or handbag person?

                    Hp
                    Meer

                    --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "pufdragn63" <hungrypoet1963@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Aww gee, Tim, looks like you NEED a few more pipes LOL!!
                    >
                    > I have around 30 now, so smoaking one per bowl per day per pipe is
                    > easy. But when I was starting out I had only two pipes and I smoaked
                    > one pipe per day - 3-4 bowls a day - and alternated both of them.
                    >
                    > Don't stress about it too much, just enjoy smoaking what you have
                    > until you can afford another one...and another one...and...
                    >
                    > Tell your wife they're just the same as shoes and handbags.
                    >
                    > Michael
                    >
                    > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <campstertim@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Many people recommend that you only use your pipe once in a 24 hour
                    > > period to allow the moisture that's absorbed into the briar and
                    cake to
                    > > evaporate.
                    > >
                    > > I was just curious how many people followed that rule. And for
                    > > you "all day smokers", do you switch pipes every hour to do this?
                    > >
                    > > I am virtually a brand new smoker, owning 2 decent and one junk
                    pipe.
                    > > So, following this, I'd only be able to smoke 3 bowls a day, and
                    > > sometimes I crave more.
                    > >
                    > > Whadda ya all think?
                    > >
                    > > Tim

                  • c g stevens
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
                      Hmmmm

                      Beware; She ain't human !!

                      With regards to SL; it must be better in the Tin as I bought it in bulk
                      and find it to be just so so..

                      As for pipes; I seldom smoke the same pipe or Baccy twice in one day..

                      Regards;
                      Steve
                      Desert Dweller

                    • Howard M. Davis
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
                        I only smoke a bowl per pipe per day but some of my pipes are up to
                        September 26, 2017.

                        --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, c g stevens <azwind1@...> wrote:

                        > Hmmmm
                        >
                        > Beware; She ain't human !!
                        >
                        > With regards to SL; it must be better in the Tin as I bought it in bulk
                        > and find it to be just so so..
                        >
                        > As for pipes; I seldom smoke the same pipe or Baccy twice in one day..
                        >
                        > Regards;
                        > Steve
                        > Desert Dweller

                      • meerorbriar
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
                          I am not a shoes or handbag woman (the last purse I purchased was 4
                          yrs ago and I bought a pair of sneakers last year), but let me assure
                          you I'm 100% human female.

                          Happy puffin'
                          Meer

                          --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, c g stevens <azwind1@...> wrote:

                          > Hmmmm
                          >
                          > Beware; She ain't human !!
                          >
                          > With regards to SL; it must be better in the Tin as I bought it in bulk
                          > and find it to be just so so..
                          >
                          > As for pipes; I seldom smoke the same pipe or Baccy twice in one day..
                          >
                          > Regards;
                          > Steve
                          > Desert Dweller

                        • Jeffrey Jelmeland
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2008
                            Notice how well that killed the thread? Somehow I don't think anyone is
                            going to dispute that. My wife isn't a shoe or purse person either. In
                            truth, the last thing she bought along those lines was a thin canvas wallet
                            that she could easily slip into the pocket of her jeans.

                            When it comes to pipes she asks me three questions:

                            1. Will it make me happy to have that pipe?
                            2. Can we afford for me to purchase that pipe?
                            3. What other toy am I willing to not get to get the pipe?

                            That last question is the one that always trips me up. I am a bit of a tech
                            geek and I like my toys, and after the birth of the twins a few months back
                            funds haven't been as available for my toys, much less pipes. So suddenly
                            that decision is a lot more precious to me, and lately I have been more
                            inclined to purchase baccy instead of pipes. After all, I have 7 pipes in my
                            collection, and I don't exactly get an opportunity to smoke very often, so I
                            really don't have a need for a new pipe.

                            As to the rotation question that started all of this, I have had no problems
                            smoking multiple bowls in the same pipe, back to back. The key is to listen
                            to your pipe. If you have been puffing hard on it and it is too hot to hold,
                            or was too hot to hold at some point you really should let it rest for a
                            time, maybe a few hours, before using it again. If you find that you wind up
                            with a wet smoke and have a lot of moisture in the bowl you probably want to
                            let it sit for a day or so.

                            I would love to say that I don't have moisture problems, but even after
                            smoking for several years I find that I still have problems with it from
                            time to time. Rather than emptying out the bowl I will instead let it sit
                            with the ash in it, run a pipe cleaner down the stem, and just let it sit
                            that way for a day or three. The ash pulls the moisture out, and the pipe
                            cleaner takes care of the stem and the bend near the bottom.

                            Of course that tactic is probably not an approved method, but it works well
                            enough for me and I have yet to have a problem with my cake when doing this.

                            On Feb 2, 2008 12:21 PM, meerorbriar <meerorbriar@...> wrote:

                            > I am not a shoes or handbag woman (the last purse I purchased was 4
                            > yrs ago and I bought a pair of sneakers last year), but let me assure
                            > you I'm 100% human female.
                            >
                            > Happy puffin'
                            > Meer

                          • pufdragn63
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2008
                              ROTFLMAO!!!!

                              Time for some thread CPR.

                              Not sure if I'm giving mouth-to-mouth or foot-to-mouth for this
                              thread, but here goes.

                              My pipes A R E my toys.

                              Hey Meer, sounds like you're a real woman too. Anyone lucky enough to
                              have a pipe smoakin' sweetheart isn't going to have a problem in the
                              first place. Conversations at home might go something like this:

                              "Honey, I really need a new Dunhill."

                              "Of course you do. Matter of fact I've had my eye on a nice Ashton
                              myself. Why don't we go shopping on Saturday? The kids school fees can
                              wait."

                              LOL!!!

                              For the rest of us, conversations go something like this:

                              "Honey, does this dress make my ass look too big?"

                              "Not while I'm smoaking this new pipe it doesn't. Hey, while you're at
                              it, why don't you buy yourself some new shoes and a handbag to match."

                              Michael from Oz

                              PS Only kidding. My wife isn't into handbags and shoes either.

                              --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jelmeland"
                              <geoffrie@...> wrote:

                              > Notice how well that killed the thread? Somehow I don't think anyone is
                              > going to dispute that. My wife isn't a shoe or purse person either. In
                              > truth, the last thing she bought along those lines was a thin canvas
                              wallet
                              > that she could easily slip into the pocket of her jeans.
                              >
                              > When it comes to pipes she asks me three questions:
                              >
                              > 1. Will it make me happy to have that pipe?
                              > 2. Can we afford for me to purchase that pipe?
                              > 3. What other toy am I willing to not get to get the pipe?
                              >
                              > That last question is the one that always trips me up. I am a bit of
                              a tech
                              > geek and I like my toys, and after the birth of the twins a few
                              months back
                              > funds haven't been as available for my toys, much less pipes. So
                              suddenly
                              > that decision is a lot more precious to me, and lately I have been more
                              > inclined to purchase baccy instead of pipes. After all, I have 7
                              pipes in my
                              > collection, and I don't exactly get an opportunity to smoke very
                              often, so I
                              > really don't have a need for a new pipe.
                              >
                              > As to the rotation question that started all of this, I have had no
                              problems
                              > smoking multiple bowls in the same pipe, back to back. The key is to
                              listen
                              > to your pipe. If you have been puffing hard on it and it is too hot
                              to hold,
                              > or was too hot to hold at some point you really should let it rest for a
                              > time, maybe a few hours, before using it again. If you find that you
                              wind up
                              > with a wet smoke and have a lot of moisture in the bowl you probably
                              want to
                              > let it sit for a day or so.
                              >
                              > I would love to say that I don't have moisture problems, but even after
                              > smoking for several years I find that I still have problems with it from
                              > time to time. Rather than emptying out the bowl I will instead let
                              it sit
                              > with the ash in it, run a pipe cleaner down the stem, and just let
                              it sit
                              > that way for a day or three. The ash pulls the moisture out, and the
                              pipe
                              > cleaner takes care of the stem and the bend near the bottom.
                              >
                              > Of course that tactic is probably not an approved method, but it
                              works well
                              > enough for me and I have yet to have a problem with my cake when
                              doing this.

                              > On Feb 2, 2008 12:21 PM, meerorbriar <meerorbriar@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I am not a shoes or handbag woman (the last purse I purchased was 4
                              > > yrs ago and I bought a pair of sneakers last year), but let me assure
                              > > you I'm 100% human female.
                              > >
                              > > Happy puffin'
                              > > Meer

                            • meerorbriar
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2008
                                There is no reason not to use a pipe cleaner during your smoke. Some
                                pipes just seem to gurgle no matter what you do. I don't usually
                                leave ash in my pipe (all though I have left the tobacco in for a
                                DGT). In general after a smoke I will run a pipe cleaner or 2 through
                                the pipe until the moisture is gone, then leave a pipe cleaner in
                                while resting.

                                Happy puffin'
                                Meer