[Pipe smokers] Re: What does "Make" mean in "Charatan's Make"?

  • meerorbriar
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
      Charatan's "Make" is the grading of the pipe, I don't remember them
      all, but I remember there are higher grades. I want to say something
      like Special, Supreme, Executive, but I'm not a Charatan collector, I
      did around and see what else I can find.

      Happy puffin'
      Meer
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stokers_Haven/

      --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, pgmrdan <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Joe,
      >
      > I didn't say anything about this before but I bought the pipe
      > yesterday and they already took the pipe off of some of their web
      > pages. The link I provided had all the information about the pipe
      > that their website had except the price.
      >
      > Perhaps when I receive it I can get some more information.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Dan
      >
      > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Joe H <periquefreak2003@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I tried to get more information on this pipe when I went to the
      > link, then tried to find it in their English Estates listing, but it
      > apparently was not there. I don't think there is enough information
      > to give an approximate date of manufacture. Charatan did not date
      > their pipes, per se, but sometimes you can put it into one of their
      > eras of history.
      > >
      > > Joe H
      > >
      > > pgmrdan <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > > Any idea on when this pipe was made?
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/yguq34
      > >

      > > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, pgmrdan wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I looked at a Charatan's Make Belvedere estate pipe on
      > > > www.smokingpipes.com. I've heard of Charatan pipes but what does
      > > the
      > > > word 'make' mean? Does it just mean Charatan made it?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Dan
      > > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Damon Squires
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
        Pipes and cigars has some good deals sometimes and sometimes some not so good deals. I got a Ferndown for a $100 that would have been $150 elsewhere because they don't clean anything but I've seen $30 pipes for $80 there.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2006
          OK, I spoke with a friend "in the business" Charatan's Make is the
          same as Made by Charatan. The Belvedere line is below the Special.
          They were made by apprentices and if the pipe was deemed good enough
          they were stained red and sold. The Belvedere is a Lane Era pipe and
          if in mint condition would be worth about $80. Hope this helps.

          Hp