Re: [Pipe smokers] Dallas

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31, 2006
      Sorry to hear of your loss, pets are harder to get over than people it
      seems.......Richard

      Howard M. Davis wrote:

      > Dallas, our second oldest Boston died unexpectantly today. About 4
      > this morning I was awakened by him thrashing around and drooling
      > excessively. I though he had thrown up and put him on the floor but
      > he rolled over on his side. He was panting really hard but after
      > working with him awhile he settled down. About 5 it started again and
      > continued until we got to the Vet just after 8 AM by which time his
      > tongue was blue. They gave him a shot of valium and a couple of other
      > shots and he calmed down. He had a temperature of 106 so they put him
      > under the faucet and then started an IV. We came back home and called
      > them just before noon. At that time he was much better and was
      > drinking and eating and we were going to pick him up tomorrow morning.
      > About 3 hours later he suddenly died.
      >
      > We got Dallas from our neighbors in California who raised Boston
      > Terriers. He was the only male in the litter and they already had him
      > sold for $500. However, when he was born the joints in his elbows had
      > not formed correctly which resulted in his legs reaching in front of
      > him instead of going straight to the ground. The Vet there called him
      > low rider because of the way he had to walk. The neighbors were going
      > to put him down if we didn't take him. Of course we took him. He
      > may have had a handicap but he didn't know it. When he wanted to go
      > fast he hopped like a rabbit, and he could really move, and if he
      > wanted to see better he sat up like a ground squirrel. He was my
      > Dad's buddy. When we were down there he would lie next to my Dad in
      > the recliner. He lived a good life and only had two problems in his
      > life. The first was when he was a few months old one of his eyes
      > popped out of the socket and the Vet had to push it back. The other
      > time was when a Doberman grabbed him by the shoulder and hung on. It
      > didn't break any bones but was a severe bruise and he spent a night at
      > the Vet's. I always thought he would have been a good therapy dog for
      > handicapped children. He was a good dog and he will be missed.

      I know what men want. Men want to be really, really close to
      someone who will leave them alone.
      ---Elayne Boosler
    • JG Saltarrelli
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
        Sorry about your loss.

        Jerome

        --- Richard <richard1@...> wrote:

        > Sorry to hear of your loss, pets are harder to get
        > over than people it
        > seems.......Richard
        >
        > Howard M. Davis wrote:
        > >
        > > Dallas, our second oldest Boston died
        > unexpectantly today. About 4
        > > this morning I was awakened by him thrashing
        > around and drooling
        > > excessively. I though he had thrown up and put him
        > on the floor but
        > > he rolled over on his side. He was panting really
        > hard but after
        > > working with him awhile he settled down. About 5
        > it started again and
        > > continued until we got to the Vet just after 8 AM
        > by which time his
        > > tongue was blue. They gave him a shot of valium
        > and a couple of other
        > > shots and he calmed down. He had a temperature of
        > 106 so they put him
        > > under the faucet and then started an IV. We came
        > back home and called
        > > them just before noon. At that time he was much
        > better and was
        > > drinking and eating and we were going to pick him
        > up tomorrow morning.
        > > About 3 hours later he suddenly died.
        > >
        > > We got Dallas from our neighbors in California who
        > raised Boston
        > > Terriers. He was the only male in the litter and
        > they already had him
        > > sold for $500. However, when he was born the
        > joints in his elbows had
        > > not formed correctly which resulted in his legs
        > reaching in front of
        > > him instead of going straight to the ground. The
        > Vet there called him
        > > low rider because of the way he had to walk. The
        > neighbors were going
        > > to put him down if we didn't take him. Of course
        > we took him. He
        > > may have had a handicap but he didn't know it.
        > When he wanted to go
        > > fast he hopped like a rabbit, and he could really
        > move, and if he
        > > wanted to see better he sat up like a ground
        > squirrel. He was my
        > > Dad's buddy. When we were down there he would lie
        > next to my Dad in
        > > the recliner. He lived a good life and only had
        > two problems in his
        > > life. The first was when he was a few months old
        > one of his eyes
        > > popped out of the socket and the Vet had to push
        > it back. The other
        > > time was when a Doberman grabbed him by the
        > shoulder and hung on. It
        > > didn't break any bones but was a severe bruise and
        > he spent a night at
        > > the Vet's. I always thought he would have been a
        > good therapy dog for
        > > handicapped children. He was a good dog and he
        > will be missed.

        > Release Date: 7/28/06
        > >

        > --
        > I know what men want. Men want to be really, really
        > close to
        > someone who will leave them alone.
        > ---Elayne Boosler

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • John Offerdahl
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
          Howard, please allow me to join the others in wishing you the
          deepest of condolances. The joy of a dog is the pet's love of life
          and the sorrow of a dog is that their life is so short.

          --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Howard M. Davis"
          <sierra60@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to all who understand how a dog owns one. It just
          came so
          > quickly and we had no idea anything was wrong. Just Saturday
          he was
          > after the vacume and I had to swat him away...again.
          Yesterday he was
> [...]
          to my Dad
          > > in
          > > > the recliner. He lived a good life and only had two
          problems in
          > > his
          > > > life. The first was when he was a few months old one of
          his eyes
          > > > popped out of the socket and the Vet had to push it back.
          The
          > > other
          > > > time was when a Doberman grabbed him by the shoulder
          and hung on.
          > > It
          > > > didn't break any bones but was a severe bruise and he
          spent a
          > > night at
          > > > the Vet's. I always thought he would have been a good
          therapy dog
          > > for
          > > > handicapped children. He was a good dog and he will be

        • pipaclub_sanluis
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
            Howard, sorry to read about Dallas. I've been a dog owner for many,
            many years, and know how bad it feels when something like this happen.
            Saludos.
            Guillermo.

            wrote:

            > Dallas, our second oldest Boston died unexpectantly today.
          • Joe Ahearn
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
              I'll smoke a bowl today for Dallas. This world offers few consolations
              like that of a good dog.

              j.

              Howard M. Davis wrote:

              > Dallas, our second oldest Boston died unexpectantly today. About 4
              > this morning I was awakened by him thrashing around and drooling
              > excessively. I though he had thrown up and put him on the floor but
              > he rolled over on his side. He was panting really hard but after
              > working with him awhile he settled down. About 5 it started again and
              > continued until we got to the Vet just after 8 AM by which time his
              > tongue was blue. They gave him a shot of valium and a couple of other
              > shots and he calmed down. He had a temperature of 106 so they put him
              > under the faucet and then started an IV. We came back home and called
              > them just before noon. At that time he was much better and was
              > drinking and eating and we were going to pick him up tomorrow morning.
              > About 3 hours later he suddenly died.
              >
              > We got Dallas from our neighbors in California who raised Boston
              > Terriers. He was the only male in the litter and they already had him
              > sold for $500. However, when he was born the joints in his elbows had
              > not formed correctly which resulted in his legs reaching in front of
              > him instead of going straight to the ground. The Vet there called him
              > low rider because of the way he had to walk. The neighbors were going
              > to put him down if we didn't take him. Of course we took him. He
              > may have had a handicap but he didn't know it. When he wanted to go
              > fast he hopped like a rabbit, and he could really move, and if he
              > wanted to see better he sat up like a ground squirrel. He was my
              > Dad's buddy. When we were down there he would lie next to my Dad in
              > the recliner. He lived a good life and only had two problems in his
              > life. The first was when he was a few months old one of his eyes
              > popped out of the socket and the Vet had to push it back. The other
              > time was when a Doberman grabbed him by the shoulder and hung on. It
              > didn't break any bones but was a severe bruise and he spent a night at
              > the Vet's. I always thought he would have been a good therapy dog for
              > handicapped children. He was a good dog and he will be missed.

            • Howard M. Davis
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                Yes, dogs live every day in the moment and stop to smell all the
                bushes and poles.

                --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "John Offerdahl"
                <jkofferdahl@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > head was always lower than his body. Just a few years ago I
                > wouldn't
                > > have owned a Boston and we always had big dogs. Now we
                > have 7 left
                > > and will probably get another female. We had one of our
                > females fixed
                > > after her last litter and the replacement we got is going to be
                > too
                > > small to breed without problems. She may be small but she
                > things she
                > > is big, actually they all think they are big dogs.
                > >
                > > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Ted DeWitt"
                > <ted5310@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I can feel your pain Howard. We have had good pets for
                > many years
                > > > that have left us and it still hurts. I hope you have as many
                > fond
                > > > memories of Dallas as we have of our past friends

              • Ted Weidner
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                  John
                  I also am very sorry to hear about your loss. I know that the loss
                  of a dog is very painful, I lost a beloved Basset hound about 3
                  years ago and it still bothers me, even though we have added three
                  more, not all Bassets though.

                  Here is a little story that I stole from someplace that I believe is
                  as close to heaven as I care to get:

                  "Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

                  When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
                  that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
                  There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they
                  can
                  run and play together.
                  There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are
                  warm
                  and comfortable.

                  All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and
                  vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong
                  again,
                  just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
                  The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they
                  each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

                  They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly
                  stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His
                  eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying
                  over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

                  You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally
                  meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted
                  again.
                  The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the
                  beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your
                  pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

                  Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."

                  And I'm sure pipe smoking is allowed.

                  Ted

                  <sierra60@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, dogs live every day in the moment and stop to smell all the
                  > bushes and poles.
                  >
                  > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "John Offerdahl"
                  > <jkofferdahl@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Howard, please allow me to join the others in wishing you the
                  > > deepest of condolances. The joy of a dog is the pet's love of
                  life
                  > > and the sorrow of a dog is that their life is so short.
                  > >

                  > > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Howard M. Davis"
                  > > <sierra60@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks to all who understand how a dog owns one. It just
                  > > came so
                  > > > quickly and we had no idea anything was wrong. Just Saturday
                  > > he was
                  > > > after the vacume and I had to swat him away...again.
                  > > Yesterday he was
                  > > > chasing the cat and acting normal. The vet doesn't know what
                  > > the
                  > > > cause was but I suspect it was aspirational pneumonia. He
                  > > would often
                  > > > throw up from eating so fast and as his legs were out in front
                  > > his
                  > > > head was always lower than his body. Just a few years ago I
                  > > wouldn't
                  > > > have owned a Boston and we always had big dogs. Now we
                  > > have 7 left
                  > > > and will probably get another female. We had one of our
                  > > females fixed
                  > > > after her last litter and the replacement we got is going to
                  be
                  > > too
                  > > > small to breed without problems. She may be small but she
                  > > things she
                  > > > is big, actually they all think they are big dogs.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Ted DeWitt"

                  > > many years
                  > > fond

                  > > today. About
                  > > drooling
                  > > floor
                  > > after
                  > > again
                  > > time his
                  > > couple of
                  > > so they put
                  > > home and
                  > > and was
                  > > tomorrow

                  > > Boston
                  > > had
                  > > elbows
                  > > front
                  > > called
                  > > neighbors were
                  > > him. He
                  > > wanted to
                  > > if he
                  > > was my
                  > > to my Dad
                  > > problems in
                  > > his eyes
                  > > The
                  > > and hung on.
                  > > spent a
                  > > therapy dog
                  > > missed.

                • Howard M. Davis
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Boston's were bred to be companion dogs and crave human contact. We
                    always had big dogs and came to Boston's in a rounabout way. My
                    youngest son got the first one and I chided him for getting a small
                    dog. He's in Florida now and we have the dog. They may be small in
                    stature, ours are 20-25 pounds, but they are big in attitude. Then
                    came Dallas. We've owned several dogs but this is the first dog that
                    owned us. From them it just grew and counting Dallas we had eight
                    Boston's

                    --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mack <icemncmth@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry to hear about your loss. I do dog rescue and a couple of weeks
                    ago
                    > I helped shut down a
                    > puppy mill...there were several Boston Terriers..and for how bad they
                    > had been treated they
                    > were the nicest out of all the dogs rescued...
                    >
                    > I will give all of my dogs several hugs and give a prayer for you...
                    >
                    > Robert
                    > OKC,OK
                    >
                    > Howard M. Davis wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dallas, our second oldest Boston died unexpectantly today. About 4
                    > > this morning I was awakened by him thrashing around and drooling
                    > > excessively. I though he had thrown up and put him on the floor but
                    > > he rolled over on his side. He was panting really hard but after
                    > > working with him awhile he settled down. About 5 it started again and
                    > > continued until we got to the Vet just after 8 AM by which time his
                    > > tongue was blue. They gave him a shot of valium and a couple of other
                    > > shots and he calmed down. He had a temperature of 106 so they put him
                    > > under the faucet and then started an IV. We came back home and called
                    > > them just before noon. At that time he was much better and was
                    > > drinking and eating and we were going to pick him up tomorrow morning.
                    > > About 3 hours later he suddenly died.
                    > >
                    > > We got Dallas from our neighbors in California who raised Boston
                    > > Terriers. He was the only male in the litter and they already had him
                    > > sold for $500. However, when he was born the joints in his elbows had
                    > > not formed correctly which resulted in his legs reaching in front of
                    > > him instead of going straight to the ground. The Vet there called him
                    > > low rider because of the way he had to walk. The neighbors were going
                    > > to put him down if we didn't take him. Of course we took him. He
                    > > may have had a handicap but he didn't know it. When he wanted to go
                    > > fast he hopped like a rabbit, and he could really move, and if he
                    > > wanted to see better he sat up like a ground squirrel. He was my
                    > > Dad's buddy. When we were down there he would lie next to my Dad in
                    > > the recliner. He lived a good life and only had two problems in his
                    > > life. The first was when he was a few months old one of his eyes
                    > > popped out of the socket and the Vet had to push it back. The other
                    > > time was when a Doberman grabbed him by the shoulder and hung on. It
                    > > didn't break any bones but was a severe bruise and he spent a night at
                    > > the Vet's. I always thought he would have been a good therapy dog for
                    > > handicapped children. He was a good dog and he will be missed.

                  • Jud Cole
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Sorry about the dog Howard. It's always tough to lose a pet.
                      Jud
                      wrote:

                      > Dallas, our second oldest Boston died unexpectantly today. About 4
                      > this morning I was awakened by him thrashing around and drooling
                      > excessively. I though he had thrown up and put him on the floor but
                      > he rolled over on his side. He was panting really hard but after
                      > working with him awhile he settled down. About 5 it started again and
                      > continued until we got to the Vet just after 8 AM by which time his
                      > tongue was blue. They gave him a shot of valium and a couple of other
                      > shots and he calmed down. He had a temperature of 106 so they put him
                      > under the faucet and then started an IV. We came back home and called
                      > them just before noon. At that time he was much better and was
                      > drinking and eating and we were going to pick him up tomorrow morning.
                      > About 3 hours later he suddenly died.
                      >
                      > We got Dallas from our neighbors in California who raised Boston
                      > Terriers. He was the only male in the litter and they already had him
                      > sold for $500. However, when he was born the joints in his elbows had
                      > not formed correctly which resulted in his legs reaching in front of
                      > him instead of going straight to the ground. The Vet there called him
                      > low rider because of the way he had to walk. The neighbors were going
                      > to put him down if we didn't take him. Of course we took him. He
                      > may have had a handicap but he didn't know it. When he wanted to go
                      > fast he hopped like a rabbit, and he could really move, and if he
                      > wanted to see better he sat up like a ground squirrel. He was my
                      > Dad's buddy. When we were down there he would lie next to my Dad in
                      > the recliner. He lived a good life and only had two problems in his
                      > life. The first was when he was a few months old one of his eyes
                      > popped out of the socket and the Vet had to push it back. The other
                      > time was when a Doberman grabbed him by the shoulder and hung on. It
                      > didn't break any bones but was a severe bruise and he spent a night at
                      > the Vet's. I always thought he would have been a good therapy dog for
                      > handicapped children. He was a good dog and he will be missed.

                    • Melvin Cates
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Howard, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. At least he
                        was fortunate enough for you to have rescued him and given him some
                        very fine years.

                        mel

                      • bluejeanswithpipestobaccos18
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                          HELLO. GUY.
                          now smoking my big pipe tobacco, type straight, with tobacco
                          aromatic vainilla, with my blue jeans levi's 501, and shirt yellow;
                          smoking my pipes tobaccos, since the 18 years, in cybers, downs
                          centers of cities, parks, streets, in university, mountain bikes and
                          cars; have 88 pipes tobaccos, by rotattion smoking my pipes
                          tobaccos, my pipes tobaccos, are:curved, and straight

                          SMOKING, 6 PIPES TOBACCOS, IN THE DAY.
                          TO, REPLY, MY MESSAGE.

                          MARIANUS, SMOKERS PIPESTOBACCOS; FOR EVER.

                          --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "pipaclub_sanluis"