Re: [Pipe smokers] Props to Randy Wiley....

  • Joe H
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
      Ted, I think the 7 indicates the grade of Patina series. Lowest grade is 1

      Ted DeWitt <ted5310@...> wrote:Tried hat. No history on that page. Guess I'll wait 'til you get home and have a chance to talk to Hal.
      Ted DeWitt
      Books Are Fun, LTD
      Whittier, CA
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
        I have a very nice wiley free hand i would like to sell or trade for
        a bent something of equal value. i will try to put a picture of it in
        a folder or you can email me for a picture at chksbak@...
        will consider any offer i like bent pipes the more bend the better

        > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Ted DeWitt"
        > wrote:
        > > OK, since we seem to have some Wiley fans here I have a question.
        > I own a Patina that I bought at a local B&M about a year ago and
        love
        > it. I happen to acquire an old pipe misused beyond description.
        > When I say misused I mean not cleaned...ever. I got out the
        cleaning
        > stuff, polished and reamed et. al and now I have a good smoker and
        > real good looking. Now for the question. The nomenclature on the
        > pipe reads WILEY Made in USA and what looks like a "7" stamped over
        > and a little high of a "4". Any clues out there. Is this an old
        > Wiley? How old can a Wiley be?
        > > Ted DeWitt
        > > Books Are Fun, LTD
        > > Whittier, CA

      • chksbak
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
          well i can not post a picture from work i can email one and i will
          add a picture to the folder tonight after work

          --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "chksbak" <chksbak@c...> wrote:
          > I have a very nice wiley free hand i would like to sell or trade
          for
          > a bent something of equal value. i will try to put a picture of it
          in
          > a folder or you can email me for a picture at chksbak@c...
          > will consider any offer i like bent pipes the more bend the better
          >

          > > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Ted DeWitt"
          > > wrote:
          > > > OK, since we seem to have some Wiley fans here I have a
          question.
          > > I own a Patina that I bought at a local B&M about a year ago and
          > love
          > > it. I happen to acquire an old pipe misused beyond description.
          > > When I say misused I mean not cleaned...ever. I got out the
          > cleaning
          > > stuff, polished and reamed et. al and now I have a good smoker
          and
          > > real good looking. Now for the question. The nomenclature on the
          > > pipe reads WILEY Made in USA and what looks like a "7" stamped
          over
          > > and a little high of a "4". Any clues out there. Is this an old
          > > Wiley? How old can a Wiley be?
          > > > Ted DeWitt
          > > > Books Are Fun, LTD
          > > > Whittier, CA

        • krimsonscythe
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
            > Oh, by the way, I have a block of briar with your name
            > on it...
            >
            > Best-
            > Jeff
            > jsuter@s...
            > http://www.smokeshopreview.com

            **Yes, that's what I'm talking about! You always want an artist's
            work before the masses discover them, and they will discover you Jeff!

            Thanks,
            Eric J
          • Ted DeWitt
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
              Thanx
              Ted DeWitt
              Books Are Fun, LTD
              Whittier, CA
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
                --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "chksbak" <chksbak@c...> wrote:
                > well i can not post a picture from work i can email one and i will
                > add a picture to the folder tonight after work

                I've seen the pics of Chuck's Wiley... It's a nice one. I wanted it,
                but the pipe budget had taken a hit from non-pipe expenses and I had
                to pass on it. In the pics, it looks like it's barely been used.

                Dan
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
                  --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "krimsonscythe"
                  <Krimsonscythe@a...> wrote:
                  > **Yes, that's what I'm talking about! You always want an artist's
                  > work before the masses discover them, and they will discover you
                  Jeff!

                  > Thanks,
                  > Eric J

                  Just a point that I feel needs to be made here...

                  Many artists are not really 'discovered' during their lifetime. That
                  said, no-one - I repeat - no-one is to buy up a bunch of Jeff's
                  pipes, and then start plotting his demise for the purpose of
                  increasing the value of said pipes. To do so is considered rude in
                  many cultures.

                  (Just tryin' to watch your back there Jeff)

                  Dan
                • krimsonscythe
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
                    **Sshhhhh, Dan listen, keep this under your hat and there's a boat
                    load of Mixture #79 in it for ya. (Once you smoke that '79 you won't
                    be talkin anymore...)

                    Eric J

                    --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <danvaughan142@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "krimsonscythe"
                    > <Krimsonscythe@a...> wrote:
                    > > **Yes, that's what I'm talking about! You always want an artist's
                    > > work before the masses discover them, and they will discover you
                    > Jeff!
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Eric J
                    >
                    > Just a point that I feel needs to be made here...
                    >
                    > Many artists are not really 'discovered' during their lifetime.
                    That
                    > said, no-one - I repeat - no-one is to buy up a bunch of Jeff's
                    > pipes, and then start plotting his demise for the purpose of
                    > increasing the value of said pipes. To do so is considered rude in
                    > many cultures.
                    >
                    > (Just tryin' to watch your back there Jeff)
                    >
                    > Dan
                  • Jeffery Suter
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
                      ROTFLMAO!

                      Thanks Dan!
                      Best-
                      Jeff <-- who needs enemies?

                      That
                      > said, no-one - I repeat - no-one is to buy up a
                      > bunch of Jeff's
                      > pipes, and then start plotting his demise for the
                      > purpose of
                      > increasing the value of said pipes. To do so is
                      > considered rude in
                      > many cultures.
                      >
                      > (Just tryin' to watch your back there Jeff)
                      >
                      > Dan

                    • Joe H
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
                        How about a plot against just one finger?

                        Dan <danvaughan142@...> wrote:--- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "krimsonscythe"

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 2, 2004
                          wrote:
                          > OK, since we seem to have some Wiley fans here I have a question.
                          I own a Patina that I bought at a local B&M about a year ago and
                          love it. I happen to acquire an old pipe misused beyond
                          description. When I say misused I mean not cleaned...ever.

                          Found out the previous owner smoked it regularly and his baccy was
                          Outdoorsman. I understand it was/is an vanilla aromatic. Any
                          experience? Got to get this old beauty cleaned!!