Cellaring

  • lukydog2
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
      Just purchased some Old Gowrie and Hal 'O The Wynd from JR and
      noticed the label has changed on both. Since the quality of the smoke
      out of the can was vastly different I assume my previous purchases
      had been aging at the store. Drying for about a day and a half
      improved the quality of both and I'm wondering what your personal
      preferences are with regard to cellaring.
      I know every tobacco is different so if you would be so kind as to
      include the name of your blend as well I would appreciate it.
    • Rick Olszewski
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
        On most tobaccos I smoke, I load the pipe hours before I intend on smoking
        it. I usually have three pipes lined up at a time, when I begin to smoke
        one and finish it, following its cleaning, I grab another pipe and load it
        up with something else. I feel this gives the tobacco time to dry out a
        bit, if it is a wet blend. There are other blends, which when dried out,
        lose some character, and others that gain some. As far as specifics, I
        smoke too many different blends to list them, but you have the general idea.

        Just purchased some Old Gowrie and Hal 'O The Wynd from JR and
        noticed the label has changed on both. Since the quality of the smoke
        out of the can was vastly different I assume my previous purchases
        had been aging at the store. Drying for about a day and a half
        improved the quality of both and I'm wondering what your personal
        preferences are with regard to cellaring.
        I know every tobacco is different so if you would be so kind as to
        include the name of your blend as well I would appreciate it.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c1mqqoj/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroup
        web/S=1705139314:HM/EXP=1078260571/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=14112l2cm/*http://ad.do
        ubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;cod
        e=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078174171791883?> Click HereClick Here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroupweb
        /S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=343612101>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • John Offerdahl
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
          --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "lukydog2"
          <lukydog2@y...> wrote:
          > Just purchased some Old Gowrie and Hal 'O The Wynd from
          JR and
          > noticed the label has changed on both. Since the quality of the
          smoke
          > out of the can was vastly different I assume my previous
          purchases
          > had been aging at the store. Drying for about a day and a half
          > improved the quality of both and I'm wondering what your
          personal
          > preferences are with regard to cellaring.
          > I know every tobacco is different so if you would be so kind as
          > include the name of your blend as well I would appreciate it.

          Outside of aromatics I can't think of a single blend that does NOT
          improve with age. OG and HOTW are both excellent candidates
          for the long-term stack, too. Virginias with a year on them are
          drastically better than when fresh from the can, and after five
          years the improvement is amazing.
        • John Offerdahl
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
              Thanks John thats good to know. I guess I'm going to have to learn to
              be patient and stock up.
              Does the tobacco continue to improve after 5 years?

              --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "John Offerdahl"

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
                Im going to try that Rick, thanks. Are you smoking mainly briars or
                does that work with meerschaums as well?

                --- In pipesmokers2@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Olszewski"
                <richard.olszewski@c...> wrote:
                > On most tobaccos I smoke, I load the pipe hours before I intend on
                smoking
                > it. I usually have three pipes lined up at a time, when I begin to
                smoke
                > one and finish it, following its cleaning, I grab another pipe and
                load it
                > up with something else. I feel this gives the tobacco time to dry
                out a
                > bit, if it is a wet blend. There are other blends, which when
                dried out,
                > lose some character, and others that gain some. As far as
                specifics, I
                > smoke too many different blends to list them, but you have the
                general idea.

                subject=Unsubscribe>

                Service

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
                  <lukydog2@y...> wrote:
                  > Thanks John thats good to know. I guess I'm going to have to
                  learn to
                  > be patient and stock up.
                  > Does the tobacco continue to improve after 5 years?

                  Absolutely! It's based, by the way, partially on the sugar content of
                  the tobacco. Other than aromatics, which really don't age well,
                  burleys are the least benefitted by age, and after probably about
                  20 years they'll begin to deteriorate. English and Balkan blends
                  are next, but should improve with age for a LOT of years after a
                  burley. Virginias will improve for the longest, though I'd really
                  hesitate to put a time on them. I recently spoke with someone
                  who claimed to have just opened a 75 year-old tin of a Virginia
                  blend and swore that it was the most amazing smoke of his life.
                  Sadly, the greedy bastid refused to share, so I can't verify his
                  claim. You'll see, in various places online, aged tins selling for a
                  LOT more than the original cost. The Pipe Rack regularly sells
                  aged tobacco tins, and lists them for well over $100.

                  Of course, the conditions of the aging are important. If the
                  tobacco suffers from temperature extremes it's going to suffer,
                  period. And if the seal is broken on the container, forget it - open
                  it up and smoke it.