Re: [Pipe smokers] Meeting the Cates

  • Melvin Cates
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
      ~snip~ --- In pipesmokers2@y..., uisqe baugh <uisqebaugh@y...> wrote:
      > I'm hoping that all is going well with the genealogy
      > research. Just out of curiousity, what lines are you
      > researching currently?
      >
      > Perhaps next time I'm in the area, I'll meet up with
      > you, and hopefully I can also drive to to Charlotte
      > and meet up with John.
      >
      > Best of wishes!

      My wife is researching the Price, Shelton, and Gilmore lines from TN
      and VA.

      I don't live in Knoxville, we had spent the night there after driving
      from Springfield, MO on the way to Charlotte. Hopefully, we can get
      together one of these days and smoke a bowl.

      mel...glad to be home after driving 1980 miles
    • uisqe baugh
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
        Nope, no common lines there. Darn!

        Anyways, I'm glad to be home too, especially after
        having driven through Louisville, where there was a
        major accident and work being performed ot demolish an
        old railway bridge. UGH!

        --- Melvin Cates <mel_cates@...> wrote:

        > ~snip~ --- In pipesmokers2@y..., uisqe baugh
        > <uisqebaugh@y...> wrote:
        > > I'm hoping that all is going well with the
        > genealogy
        > > research. Just out of curiousity, what lines are
        > you
        > > researching currently?
        > >
        > > Perhaps next time I'm in the area, I'll meet up
        > with
        > > you, and hopefully I can also drive to to
        > Charlotte
        > > and meet up with John.
        > >
        > > Best of wishes!
        >
        > My wife is researching the Price, Shelton, and
        > Gilmore lines from TN
        > and VA.
        >
        > I don't live in Knoxville, we had spent the night
        > there after driving
        > from Springfield, MO on the way to Charlotte.
        > Hopefully, we can get
        > together one of these days and smoke a bowl.
        >
        > mel...glad to be home after driving 1980 miles

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • Melvin Cates
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
          Glad to hear you had a safe return home also. After we left John,
          there was an accident in the opposite lanes of taffic on a divided
          highway that had traffic backed up for eight miles.

          I am researching the Montgomery, Burns, and Stratton lines. Any of
          those familiar to you? The other lines were my wife's. What lines are
          researching?

          mel

          --- In pipesmokers2@y..., uisqe baugh <uisqebaugh@y...> wrote:
          > Nope, no common lines there. Darn!
          >
          > Anyways, I'm glad to be home too, especially after
          > having driven through Louisville, where there was a
          > major accident and work being performed ot demolish an
          > old railway bridge. UGH!

        • Ron Gadzalinski
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
            As some of you may or may not know about me, one of my
            favorite hobbies is genealogy. However, I never felt
            compelled to travel to another state or country to do
            further research BUT if I combined travelling for the
            purpose of genealogical research and ALSO for the
            visiting of my many pipe smoking friends, the appeal
            greatly grows!

            Thanks to the Internet and online pipe clubs like this
            one, I now have many pipe smoking friends all across
            the USA. One of them is John (Denevei) in Charlotte,
            NC and I've promised myself I would visit him someday.
            I was chatting with another pipesmoking friend last
            night and he came up with quite an appealing idea:
            Take a month off work, rent an RV, and do a
            "PipesAcrossAmerica" tour to visit all my pipesmoking
            friends--contently smoking all along the way!!
            Besides John (and Jason too) in Charlotte, I would
            have be make stops in Michigan (Michael), Toronto,
            Canada, Schenectady, NY (and Schararie Co.),
            Massachusetts, Columbus, OH, DeLand, FL, Harlingen,
            TX, California, Oregon, Omaha, Nebraska, and
            Springfield, MO (Mel). What a happy thought!

            The one big obstacle to such a plan (besides money),
            unfortunately, would be my wife. Because of her
            feelings about pipe smoking she would NEVER agree to
            take such a trip with me...and she wouldn't allow or
            appreciate me to take the trip alone either. Oh,
            well--it's still a fun dream!

            -Ron

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
              I haven't worked on my family lines for quite a while;
              we're focusing mostly on my wife's lines, especially
              the Asberry lineage. If I can find a link for the
              Tennessee Asberrys to the Virginia Asberrys, of which
              there is so much information, I'd be delighted!

              Also, we're looking at Shaver. When I'm home, I'll
              take the time to look up what other names are being
              researched and post them to see if any match what
              you've found.

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
                When you stop by Michigan, visit me, too. I live not
                too far from Mike.

                BTW Mike, how is your schedule for the next month
                looking? Are you still in favor of a trip to the
                Buffalo Tobacco Shop?

              • Phillip Drago
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
                  G'day Ron,
                  greetings from AUSTRALIA...

                  Why don't you include Australia in that itinerary..do they have an
                  amphibious version of an RV over there?

                  Perhaps your wife and mine could get together to distract each other while
                  you and i just kick back and have a puff watching the sun go down over
                  Melbourne city sky-line.

                  You're always welcome.

                  Phil

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
                    G'Day to you Phillip (love those Australian accents!),

                    Man, I would enjoy so much coming to Australia for a
                    visit (of course my wife would have to come along). I
                    would like nothing more than to "kick back" with you
                    and smoke our pipes as the sun sets (while our wives
                    are occupied elsewhere). BTW: Do you have any little
                    tikes running around too? I have three, ages 15, 12
                    and 10.

                    You sound like a super person Phillip--and you are
                    always welcomed to visit in beautiful Milwaukee,
                    Wisconsin, USA as well!

                    -Ron

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
                      --- uisqe baugh <uisqebaugh@...> wrote:
                      > When you stop by Michigan, visit me, too. I live not
                      > too far from Mike.

                      Gene, of course I would stop by your place for a visit
                      with you and your family too! How could I forget
                      you?! I consider you a friend and a pipe brother.

                      As a matter of fact, not to forget any others, I would
                      have to check the hometowns of all the members of the
                      club here and schedule my tour trip to make a stop in
                      most (if not all) of these hometowns. I would enjoy
                      visiting and sharing a pipe with each and every one of
                      you all!

                      Happy and peaceful puffing to all!

                      -Ron

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 4, 2002
                        Hey Ron,

                        sorry it took so long to get back to you. We have just had the Melbourne Cup
                        Long weekend (It's a horse race)

                        Yes I have three kids, Boy aged 10, boy aged 5, little angel aged 2 1/2...

                        We'ld love to have you over.

                        Regards,
                        Phillip