Re: [pipertalk] Introduction

  • davefranktaylor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2001
      Just a question...

      When you refer to assurance, what do mean by that?

      Bam Bam
    • Chris Maddocks
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2001
        Bam Bam and list:

        Being something I don't fully understand myself, I
        intended the word assurance more to mean "convicted"
        than "assured" (sorry).. convinced of their sin,
        convinced of grace of Christ, and convinced of the
        supremacy of God. I meant the word in contrast to
        what seems to be "wishy-washiness" towards the Gospel
        in many professing Christians my age.

        Just to clarify my thoughts on the gifts... I attended
        a pentecostal church for a while, a few years back.. I
        left because I found that the focus on "Spirit
        manifestations" tended towards "hype" and superficial
        theology. But I am wary of applying that
        generalization to all people; the charismatic gifts at
        least had a very real and edifying purpose at one
        point, and so if they are indeed valid today, should
        serve a similar end.

        Not to make a pope out of Piper, or that I necessarily
        agree, but his thoughts on "signs and wonders" are
        biblically-oriented and God-centred:
        http://www.desiringgod.org/Online_Library/OnlineArticles/Subjects/SpiritualGifts/SignsAndWonders.htm

        ~Chris

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • FRANK GARRO
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2001
          Chris,
          It's nice to hear someone report something positive about a charismatic
          Christian. I wanted to share something with the group that i read today in
          Godward Life. I hope you're listening David McKay.
          "...I do not get the impression from reading 1 Corinthians 14 that Paul saw
          the atmosphere of supernatural gifts as an unstable one - nor an unloving
          one. So the challenge before us is how to own up to the truth of the gifts
          without cultivating a forum for instability. It will not due to write off
          the gifts because of whom they attract any more than we write off serious
          lectures because they attract cold intellectuals." p.133
          The most powerful manifestations of God I think should be intimidating some
          guys just fell on their face like they were dead. I've heard others say if
          that's what happens when God shows up it's not unusual for people to act a
          little strange when He just gets in the neighborhood.
          talk to ya later
          Frank

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 28, 2001
            I'm knew as well -- I'm 19, so I got 1 up on Chris =) I came across,
            Piper's Sermon notes: "For whom did Christ die?" and fell in love
            with his system of theology. I read Desiring God and God's Passion
            for His Glory -- Piper really got me into Edwards. I'm at a secular
            university for a BA in Philosophy -- I plan on going to seminary, but
            I'm just a freshmen now.

            Anyway, in regards to spiritual gifts : "Are Miraculous Gifts for
            Today?" is a great book -- It's one of those "4 view books" so you
            get all the viewpoints. (And Pinnock's not in this one!)

            The Amazon URL is:
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0310201551/ref=cm_mp_wl/107-
            3791935-0988562?colid=1VO4RNC0UFUAA

            I'd also recommend "Charismatic Chaos" by MacArthur, but as you can
            see, that book takes a strong stance (as do I).

            -- Wayne Uffleman
          • John Hanson
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 18, 2003
              Hello Everyone,

              I am new to the group and this is my first post. I wanted to introduce myself before I started joining in the discussions. I have been reading through the archives and it is apparent that you all are Godly men and women who are interested in the Supremacy and Glory of God. That is very exciting because I attend a Willow Creek style church and while I have wonderful fellowship with other believers and the Word of God is preached faithfully, there is not a lot of doctrine and theology tossed around. The church is not doctrinly wrong just a little indifferent. I am trying to work within it to try and spread a love for God's glory.

              I stumbled across John Piper only a month ago. Up until that time I recognized that the "Calvinist" theology was the theology of the Bible. All it took was reading Romans; it seemed like Paul was a contemporary scholar arguing for the 'five points'. I had studied much of the work of wonderful teachers like Sproul and MacArthur and so I knew that the "reformed" theology was what the Bible teaches. My problem was that I could not see how that was good news and so I chose to shove that in the back of my mind and ignore it. The problem was that deep in my subconscious I would have arguments like "if the Bible is right then I don't like God and if the Bible is wrong then everything I believe is worthless." I finally went through a period of six months to a year where I stopped living totally for God. Oh, I went through the motions but I didn't really care.

              Finally, I heard a message by John Piper and I was able to come to grips with fact that election is good news and it is amazing what God has done in my life in such a short period of time. I can truly trust in Him again and I love Him. He is so worthy!!

              I am so thankful that John Piper has allowed God to work through him and I look forward to discussing the wonderful aspects of a glorious God.

              In Christ,

              John Hanson

            • Daniel Beck
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 18, 2003
                Hi John,

                On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 02:26 PM, John Hanson wrote:

                > Hello Everyone,
                >
                > I am new to the group and this is my first post. I wanted to
                > introduce myself before I started joining in the discussions.

                Welcome. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your future posts.

                Daniel

                --------------
                "The gospel is a gospel of grace! And grace is the pleasure of God to
                magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to
                delight in God without obscuring the glory of God." -John Piper
              • Graham Old <divrom@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 19, 2003
                  > On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 02:26 PM, John Hanson wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello Everyone,
                  > >
                  > > I am new to the group and this is my first post. I wanted to
                  > > introduce myself before I started joining in the discussions.

                  Good to have you with us, John.

                  That was an inspiring post, thanks. I can relate to much of that. For
                  a year or two I was a reluctant Calvinist. Reluctant because all the
                  Calvinists I knew were stuffy and more orthodox than God! Stumbling
                  upon Piper and Wayne Grudem and Sam Storms kinda gave me the courage
                  to 'come out' and finally enjoy the doctrines of God's glorious grace.

                  Bless you,

                  Graham
                • Vernon Gisel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 19, 2003
                    Greetings John,

                    Thank you for your testimony as it really was a blessing to me.

                    Vernon