Philippine Cosplay Status (Re: Greetings)

  • Laibeus Lord
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 1:51 AM
      yes, but overall and individual cosplay was still below international standards and the way competition is internationally. Costume "creation" sure, everybody can do that, but that's not the only factor where cosplay "quality" is weighted on, the cosplayer itself, the similarity of the cosplayer to the character, the way the cosplayer carries the character, and originality and ingenuinity. I'll bet there are other important factors wherein a cosplay is weighted on. Before the cosplay event of AQ2k3, Philippine Cosplay is below international standards. There are only few cosplayers who can compete internationally, to mention one, JM Chua who cosplayed Saito. But last April 27th, 2003, of Anime Quest 2003, Philippine "ANIME" Cosplay went up by atleast 2 levels up. There are more cosplayers who do look alike or have similarities with the characters their cosplaying, to mention, Aki Ross and Princess Mononoke, the two characters from Shaider, FFX and FFX-2 characters, and alot others. There are more "new" cosplayers and more "new" characters unlike before. Dialogues, well, they left the "by-the-book" character dialogues and majority stopped speaking Nihongo. That's a BIG PLUS! C'mon, why speak Nihongo when the majority don't even understand it! Why use the character's dialogues when displaying your costume! We already know the dialogues! The cosplayers last AQ2k3 were liberated from that. (This is one major reason why we can't compete internationally before, they'll just laugh at us.) Costume quality also went up. Character selection also went up. Remember Hitmonlee? Yes, a Pokemon, people or the cosplayers finally learned to cosplay OTHER CHARACTERS. C'mon, there are thousands upon thousands of characters out there why cosplay the characters we've already known and tired of seeing?! Good work to all the cosplayers who have cosplayed characters that are "not-so-known", you've lifted the Philippine Cosplay up and up. No we're not saying you should stop cosplaying known characters, but rather, instead of cosplaying Satoshi Ketchum (the name of the CREATOR and JAPANESE name of Ash Ketchum from Pokemon), cosplay Hitmonlee, Pikachu, Togepi, Charizard, Bulbasaur. There are already too many Final Fantasy characters, why not cosplay the villains? And heck, once again, to mention Princess Mononoke for cosplaying (what was the character's name?) the main female character. Finally, there are cosplayers who are cosplaying characters from less known anime in the Philippines. There was X (although was cosplayed before, but STILL, it's not that known here locally), CHOBITS (you should have tried to buy a persocon's ears ;p hehehe, but the ears you created is worth it already). If I'll give you all the important points, this reply will be very long. For a final point, Cosplay was liberated, or atleast AQ's Cosplay was liberated. Now they accept "Batman Beyond" and G.I. Joe's Cobra Commander. There was no discrimination (unlike before), or atleast "there was almost none" (except for those who cosplayed Beyblade characters). Keep it up. Now we're reaching the international level of cosplaying. Soon they will bow down to us. Ah, allow me to mention, DONT BE DAMN AFRAID TO COSPLAY AS MASCOTS!!! In Japan, (if you only know) a group cosplayed the characters from "Monster Rancher", yes, including that One-Eyed character. How did the cosplayer walked? S/he hops just like the character what else? I'll stop here, I don't want to give more tips ;p hehehe, all the other cosplaying techniques will be kept hidden until we appear by next year. :D happy cosplaying.

    • Charles Tan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 6:21 AM
        Laibeus Lord wrote:

        > yes, but overall and individual cosplay was still below
        > international standards and the way competition is internationally.
        > Costume "creation" sure, everybody can do that, but that's not the
        > only factor where cosplay "quality" is weighted on, the cosplayer
        > itself, the similarity of the cosplayer to the character, the way
        > the cosplayer carries the character, and originality and
        > ingenuinity. I'll bet there are other important factors wherein a
        > cosplay is weighted on.

        I think there are two essential factors which makes a cosplayer good.
        One is the costume and how faithful it is to the original designs, and
        the second is, as you said, the way they carry their character. Anything
        else is icing on the cake but those two mentioned factors probably have
        the biggest impact on the audience.

        In that sense, I think we're on par with other countries. Of course
        staying in character is a big neglected sometimes, but then again,
        cosplayers themselves don't get a lot of screentime to "act in
        character", unless they really plan to spend the entire time during the
        con playing their character.

        Before the cosplay event of AQ2k3,
        > Philippine Cosplay is below international standards.

        For me, it's the event itself (let's face it, conventions, and the
        cosplay competition, has lots of room for improvement) that's below
        international standards rather than the people participating in it.

        There are only
        > few cosplayers who can compete internationally, to mention one, JM
        > Chua who cosplayed Saito. But last April 27th, 2003, of Anime
        > Quest 2003, Philippine "ANIME" Cosplay went up by atleast 2 levels
        > up. There are more cosplayers who do look alike or have
        > similarities with the characters their cosplaying, to mention, Aki
        > Ross and Princess Mononoke, the two characters from Shaider, FFX
        > and FFX-2 characters, and alot o! thers.

        While this is true, isn't it unfair you're building up on factors that
        you don't have any control on? I mean if you were born fat (or thin),
        tall (or short), there's nothing you can do to change that fact just to
        suit the needs of a particular anime/manga character. I think a bigger
        part would be on how one carries the character as well as the costume.
        It isn't fair for someone who's slaved over his/her costume for the past
        few days to lose to someone who just got something out from his/her
        wardrobe and enter the competition just because they resemble a certain
        character. At least not without ample preparation (such as acting in
        character, delivering good dialogue, etc. on the part of both
        cosplayers). Not that the cosplayers who recently participated are
        guilty of this but it is a possibility of such a thing occuring in the
        future.

        There are more "new"
        > cosplayers and more "new" characters unlike before.

        Well, "new" is a relative term. And it also depends on the
        circumstances. Perhaps there were more new cosplayers this year but the
        influx of "new characters" seem the same to me. I mean one can always
        expect that someone would come in something no one else has seen before.
        And so far, that's happened in the previous conventions.

        Dialogues,
        > well, they left the "by-the-book" character dialogues and majority
        > stopped speaking Nihongo. That's a BIG PLUS! C'mon, why speak
        > Nihongo when the majority don't even understand it!

        Depends on how you see it. Depending on the monologue (or even
        dialogue), it might suit the cosplayer better to speak Japanese. I mean
        there are trademark statements which have a bigger effect when said in
        Japanese rather than the vernacular.

        Another good reason to speak in Japanese is when singing a song.

        Although if it is a long monologue/dialogue and involves interaction
        with other characters, speaking in Filipino/English/Taglish would be
        appreciated so that the entertainment would actually be understood by
        the rest, unless it's a reenactment of a famous scene.

        Why use the
        > character's dialogues when displaying your costume! We already know
        > the dialogues! The cosplayers last AQ2k3 were liberated from that.

        Again, it depends on the situation. I mean look at the reenactment of
        the Final Fantasy X ending. And the group won, didn't they? Sometimes
        you have to balance faithfulness with originality. There are times when
        the former is good, and there are also times when the latter would be
        better. It's also left to the matter of execution.

        I'll admit though that original dialogue or spoofs would be greatly
        appreciated. I mean I wouldn't want to watch a dozen reenactments of
        scenes I've already watched on TV. But then the opposite is also true. A
        good blend of the two (some reenactments, some originals) would be
        enjoyable, as long as it is executed aptly.

        > (This is one major reason why we can't compete internationally
        > before, they'll just laugh at us.)

        And this is... from personal experience? While I admit we have a lot to
        learn from international cosplaying, others shouldn't laugh at us for
        doing what we enjoy doing. Whether it's reenacting a certain scene or
        creating new dialogue, people should be proud at the cosplayers performing.

        Costume quality also went up.
        > Character selection also went up. Remember Hitmonlee? Yes, a
        > Pokemon, people or the cosplayers finally learned to cosplay OTHER
        > CHARACTERS. C'mon, there are thousands upon thousands of characters
        > out there why cosplay the characters we've already known and tired
        > of seeing?! Good work to all the cosplayers who have cosplayed
        > characters that are "not-so-known", you've lifted the Philippine
        > Cosplay up and up. No we're not saying you should ! stop cosplaying
        > known characters, but rather, instead of cosplaying Sa toshi
        > Ketchum (the name of the CREATOR and JAPANESE name of Ash Ketchum
        > from Pokemon), cosplay Hitmonlee, Pikachu, Togepi, Charizard,
        > Bulbasaur. There are already too many Final Fantasy characters, why
        > not cosplay the villains? And heck, once again, to mention
        > Princess Mononoke for cosplaying (what was the character's name?)
        > the main female character. Finally, there are cosplayers who are
        > cosplaying characters from less known anime in the Philippines.
        > There was X (although was cosplayed before, but STILL, it's not
        > that known here locally), CHOBITS (you should have tried to buy a
        > persocon's ears ;p hehehe, but the ears you created is worth it
        > already). If I'll give you all the important points, this reply
        > will be very long.

        While I do get your point about cosplaying "not-so-famous" characters,
        there's also the thrill of watching people cosplay famous characters. Of
        course there's the side-effect that you see a lot of the same thing. I
        mean we've seen the numerous Miaka cosplayers or Final Fantasy
        cosplayers all appearing in the same event. Seeing one of them somehow
        diminishes the experience when one sees another of the same character
        (and eventually one can't help but compare the one seen now and the one
        seen before).

        And, uh, Hitmonlee has been cosplayed by the same person for the past
        few conventions...

        And people have cosplayed villains. In previous cons, The Juppon Gatana
        has been represented, as well as the Genei Ryodan, and other villain
        groups. I'm not familiar with Angel Sanctuary but I think there was a
        mix of good guys and bad guys there as well...

        For a final point, Cosplay was liberated, or
        > atleast AQ's Cosplay was liberated. Now they accept "Batman Beyond"
        > and G.I. Joe's Cobra Commander. There was no discrimination
        > (unlike before), or atleast "there was almost none" (except for
        > those who cosplayed! Beyblade characters).

        Well, it depends. I'm glad they loosened the rules in this case but as
        an organizer, sometimes, you have to stick to the theme. Too much
        leniency and you might have totally unrelated characters being
        cosplayed. And that might earn the ire of the audience, if not the
        organizers.

        And look at the SF&F con. Cosplayers were limited to subjects of SF&F
        characters that had live-action counterparts. This was probably due to
        the image (probably something along the lines that it was a SF&F con and
        not an anime con) the organizers wanted to project. I felt the stricture
        too limiting like wanting to cosplay an SF&F characater that was present
        in books or in animation but not in live-action.

        Keep it up. Now we're
        > reaching the international level of cosplaying.

        By this, you mean we're improving. And by that, I agree with you. At
        least our cosplay industry isn't stagnating.

        Soon they will bow
        > down to us. Ah, allow me to mention, DONT BE DAMN AFRAID TO COSPLAY
        > AS MASCOTS!!! In Japan, (if you only know) a group cosplayed the
        > characters from "Monster Rancher", yes, including that One-Eyed
        > character. How did the cosplayer walked? S/he hops just like the
        > character what else? I'll stop here, I don't want to give more tips
        > ;p hehehe, all the other cosplaying techniques will be kept hidden
        > until we appear by next year. :D happy cosplaying.

        Cheers to that. Although it'll take guts to cosplay mascots (look at how
        some people jeered at the Beyblade cosplayers).

        --
        "Friendship doesn't have anything to do with shoring up weakness. It has
        to do with respect and consideration for those you care about. It has to
        Message 3 of 3 , May 8 5:49 AM
          --- In pinoy_cosplay@yahoogroups.com, Charles Tan <charles@m...>
          wrote:

          I appreciate your constructive view about the recently held AQ2003
          fellow anime fan but as always ,most of us cosplayers would likely
          want to dress up characters from not so famous animes here in the
          Philippines, we cannot blame the audience if they dont appreciate
          much our characters,I do believe that some cosplayers join the
          contest for fun others to emerge as winners, point is that we all
          differ though some have same ideas to share but all in all we are
          created as individuals who came in to blend with groups and interact
          with people. I agree that there is really room for improvement when
          it comes to materials and character resemblance.May be in the next
          cosplay some might really make a challenge for themselves, why do
          some cosplayers dress up oddly? the reason is simple, financial, you
          knew well that our beloved Philippines is a third world country thats
          why you cannot blame the economic stauts of other cosplayers dressed
          up oddly, not all of us here can afford expensive materials and other
          cosplay related tools.Our technology is not like that of Developed
          countries so lets just give time and chance for others to make their
          cosplay improve atleast level by level.As a cosplayer I dressed up
          from a not so well known anime because I beleive that "something new"
          might make a start of a big change.I started dressing up before from
          commonly known anime then.May be if most of the cosplayers here are
          earning individuals,I believe that they can achieve your view
          of "high quality/international standard cosplay" but since most of
          them are students pls do give them room for exception.

          Peace be with everyone,
          jologz_sama aka K***** S****