Reed Sea not Red Sea

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
      Red sea was a mistranslation of See of Reeds. Much like almah (young
      woman) and betulah (virgin). the original translation of the old
      testament in hebrew form was Yum Suph, literally means Reed Sea, or
      Sea of Read. I really have no idea how it came so mistranslated but my
      hitch is that the reader of the pentateuch wanted to highten the
      miracles stated in the exodus.

      Even the exodus should stand to be corrected. The whole event of the
      exodus can be attributed to a natural calamity around 1500 BCE which
      is the eruption of Thera (modern day Santorini). It is an island
      volcano north of Egypt. all the event in exodus from the parting of
      the Sea, locust, frog, the pillar of fire and the darkening of the sky
      has been found to be an effect of that catasthropic event. the
      eruption was 100 times greater than Mt. Vesuvius when it erupted in
      79CE and destroyed the city of Pompei and Herculanium.
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
        ...Red sea and see of reeds, I honestly didn't know about that. I
        definitely have to read some more.

        Watch Discovery Channel's 'Who was Moses'..
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
          Isa lang yun bilib akong moses eh

          Si Moses Malone. Yeah!!!

          He he
          ....Red sea and see of reeds, I honestly didn't know about that. I
          definitely have to read some more.

          Watch Discovery Channel's 'Who was Moses'..

        • John
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
            It's actually fun to hypothesize ,that if the events portrayed in the bible were true, what scientific explanation could there be for it?

            Like as you said, the parting of the Red Sea. Could it have been low tide and there was a land bridge that appeared? Could it have been a tsunami that coincidentally made landfall after Moses and the Israelites walked past?

            Or how about Jesus' walking on water, raising the dead, making more fish and bread out of only a few, turning water into wine, etc. Coincidentally, all these tricks can be performed by modern day magicians...

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
              If it can be explained by science then its not a miracle. Right?

              Christian apologists use science to explain the parting of the red sea. They now depend on science to make their claims sound true and believable.

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                they make their own science. telling people they have found a
                chariot's wheel under the read sea. they havent probably knew of the
                eruption of thera. the pharoah wasnt even ramses the great.

                for 40years they have wandered the sinai desert yet scholars havent
                found any track of these nomadic people like poteries or even bones
                from animals or human.
              • John
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                  And to her I would say:

                  "Then prayer is useless, because even without it you would get the same results, and you'd still get to know god's will."

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                    AFAIK, Jewish archaeologists have been fervently trying to find evidence of an actual exodus. If a large group of humans were traveling across a land for 40 years, you'd get lots and lots of artifacts and debris. So far up to now, none have been found.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                      I suggest you read up on communication theories.

                      Inaccuracies, discrepancies, can be cause be caused by a lot of
                      factors including storytellers embellishing facts or even lying.

                      History will never be 100% seen says Bob Woodward.

                      There is what you can remember through actual facts and evidence
                      There is how you remember it meaning perspective.
                      There is what you want to remember

                    • Mike Lopez
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                        Wow wow and wow! Thanks for these info people. Really interesting.
                        As for history, I do agree that it will never be 100% accurate. :)

                        On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Igmidio Galingan <ipgalingan@...> wrote:
                        > I suggest you read up on communication theories.
                        >
                        > Inaccuracies, discrepancies, can be cause be caused by a lot of
                        > factors including storytellers embellishing facts or even lying.
                        >
                        > History will never be 100% seen says Bob Woodward.
                        >
                        > There is what you can remember through actual facts and evidence
                        > There is how you remember it meaning perspective.
                        > There is what you want to remember

                        Mike Lopez
                        http://mikelopez.info/
                      • Hans
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                          History always depends on many matters. but to have many referrence
                          saying exactly the same thing is something. and history reinforced
                          with evidence, tangible evidence or if not, can be scientifically
                          countercheck is the best weapon against theology.
                        • tony
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 2, 2008
                            Hi Igme, that's right. I cannot even remember what was my dinner a
                            week ago! :)

                            cheers!

                            --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "Igmidio Galingan"