insights

  • eric sandy fernando
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6 1:59 AM
      mga parekoy! can you please state your opinion on
      these:

      1. "half-truth is a lie" against right to speak, right
      to privacy and priveleged communication

      2. "the truth can set you/us free" against "some
      things are better left unsaid/unspoken"

      3. "the end justifies the means" against "miracles do
      happen"

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Mitochondria
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6 5:28 AM
        > 1. "half-truth is a lie" against right to speak, right
        > to privacy and priveleged communication

        There's no `half-truth' actually, it's only the `truth' and `not-
        truth'. Lies may contain both truth and not-truth (depending of whose
        perspective), or may contain only not-truths.

        Example: I am a theist who doesn't believe in god.

        Contains both truth (I don't believe in god) and not-truth (I am a
        theist), but this is not a half-truth, it is simply ilogic and a lie.

        > 2. "the truth can set you/us free" against "some
        > things are better left unsaid/unspoken"

        Free from what? LOL.
        A truth statement can definitely put not-truth statement straight.,
        but the statement above is more of an idomatic expression than
        something we can analyze logically (it has embedded meaning).

        The first expression, more commonly used to express
        problem/solution/result, example: Truth can set you free from "evil
        prison". -- Evil prison is the problem, while the `truth' is a
        claimed solution to problem, and `freedom' maybe the result of
        solving the problem.

        The second expression is obviously when you're hiding something,
        haha, kidding.

        > 3. "the end justifies the means" against "miracles do
        > happen"

        Same as my answer above, this is more of an idiomatic expression,
        don't take them too seriously.

        Cheers,

        -gil