COPY OF MY LETTER TO A YAHOO FORUM
- Religion is a subject on which I have ever been most scrupulously reserved. I have considered it as a matter between every man and his Maker in which no other, and far less the public, had a right to intermeddle. -- Thomas Jefferson, to Richard Rush, 1813
Atheism is not a set of dogmas, atheists do not have a political or philosophical programme. They are of every political persuasion. The only thing Atheists have in common is that
they see no evidence of a god or gods
Christians do not believe in the gods, Mithras, Zeus, Horus, Vishnu etc.,
Christians are atheists in regard to all those gods.
Therefore the only difference between atheists and Christians is
one GOD THAT is all!
So, whats the problem? There is not a problem UNTIL:-
* One has to go to war based on religion
* Discrimination is instituted the basis of religion
* Slavery is justified on religion
* Land Grabs are based on religion
* Laws are based on religion
* Religion is made part of government
* Religious instruction is given precedence over science in centres of learning
IF THERE IS ANY FORCING OF VIEWS DOWN THROATS THAT IS IT! EVEN AT THE POINT OF A GUN!
Cheers Doug Adam
In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect 'a wall of separation' between church and state."
-- Hugo Black, Everson v. Board of Education (1947)
Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]